Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2018, 09:13 AM   #181
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
You are really digging your heels in, aren't you? The fact that it is out of the way and the the fact that is is a luxury item to go to a sports event for many people should never get lost in this conversation. The location alone is going to make it difficult for a large swath of people in Calgary simply because of the long drive that includes time and gas used. It's just facts, and you have to accept it. Fans are finicky that way and always will be.

The fact is, centrally-located stadiums are more often than not the best locations to satisfy large metro areas (with public transit access). However, we were never going to get that and there are plenty of good reasons to have it at Spruce Meadows (quality of the grounds, for one).

The hardcores will come watch the games, and the south Calgary/Okotoks residents will probably attend in higher numbers, so I have no doubt that the club will receive the support it needs.

One thing I will worry about is if they serve alcohol at the games. Most people are going to be driving in because of where it is; I would hope they have a policy to have Uber/taxis waiting as needed after a game is done.
Thousands of people attend Spruce Meadows for numerous events every year. I haven't been there for the horse jumping and such, but it's incredibly popular, and I'm sure they serve alcohol.

It's crazy...we have private owners to build a stadium on their land, who run a world class facility and already host international competitions but people are complaining that the location isn't downtown.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2018, 09:14 AM   #182
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
maybe some decent foreign players
How is Gerd "Thunderfoot" Zimmermann doing?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerd_Z...nn_(footballer)
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:19 AM   #183
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Expect an official Calgary club announcement very soon.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:24 AM   #184
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Thousands of people attend Spruce Meadows for numerous events every year. I haven't been there for the horse jumping and such, but it's incredibly popular, and I'm sure they serve alcohol.

It's crazy...we have private owners to build a stadium on their land, who run a world class facility and already host international competitions but people are complaining that the location isn't downtown.
A soccer game is not the same atmosphere as horse jumping. It's more akin to a hockey or football game, and therefore more rowdy with more drunks. I've been to both types of events and it's not even close.

I wouldn't say I'm complaining, but I am disappointed with the physical location. Color me truly happy if Spruce Meadows was located further north or in the core of the city. It's a long ways to get there.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:31 AM   #185
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I agree with Slava, this is a great location and quite frankly the southern part of Calgary needed a soccer venue. Perhaps a little payback for all the parents who have to drive their kids to the soccer centre so far in north east.

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 05-10-2018 at 09:47 AM.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:48 AM   #186
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

Quote:
After all the contention between CSEC, the City of Calgary and the arena hoopla, this is an absolute breath of fresh air.

Soccer fans are basically being handed this after years and years of nothing when it comes to the sport. It's an incredible opportunity in a wonderful setting with the pros outweighing the cons. You can't please everyone, but this is being led by an outstanding group who have been working on it for a long time. We are in great hands.

I can't wait to embrace it.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mango For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2018, 09:49 AM   #187
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
There is a lot to like about the private ownership aspect. The location is a fair concern though. It isn't like Calgary has a great track record at maintaining professional soccer, so everything needs to be damn near perfect for this to work.

Atmosphere, ownership, marketing, good leadership from the league, television, merchandise, etc. And yes, location. Downtown is unrealistic, but somewhere a little closer to the centre would have made it easier to get people to the games - that's not a complaint, but just a fact. Where? I have no idea. So many variables: land owners, team owners, the city, etc. So here we are - the private ownership, existing facilities, etc. do a lot to offset the distance. (Or in other words, "if I'm going to drive this far, at least it is awesome when I get there.")

As long as the league and club have all of the other important areas sorted, this stands a chance. But if it fails, I hope that nobody points the fingers at "apathetic NW dad and his two kids" for not driving 80k / 80-90 mins round trip every other week throughout the summer.

The location is valid concern. But I'm also really excited to see what Spruce Meadows pulls off, and the also what the club and the league start to look like as they take shape.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2018, 04:13 PM   #188
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

The first CPL club, York 9, is being announced as we speak. They will play at York University for the first few years, and will build a 12-15k stadium.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2018, 07:14 AM   #189
JerryUnderscore
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Expect an official Calgary club announcement very soon.
Do you know if Calgary will be the announcement next week?
Old 05-11-2018, 07:54 AM   #190
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:

The showjumping events that draw thousands are just that - events. Featuring the best riders and horses in the world at that sport.

This is a minor league soccer team.

The difference is rather obvious.

South Calgary has enough population to support a minor league team if the demand is there, but that doesn't change the fact that the location cuts off potential casual fans from half the city.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 09:28 AM   #191
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

A little insight into the type of modular stadium York is looking into. These look pretty awesome.

http://www.bearstadiums.com/en

The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2018, 09:32 AM   #192
Reneeee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
A little insight into the type of modular stadium York is looking into. These look pretty awesome.

That's decent looking enough. But it's not as sexy as stadiums in England or even BMO in Toronto

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Reneeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 09:51 AM   #193
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

With some of the sky high expectations for an event around here, I wonder how the Flames get any business.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2018, 10:07 AM   #194
Reneeee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
With some of the sky high expectations for an event around here, I wonder how the Flames get any business.
With a new arena. It'll be simple. With the dome still sitting there. They're struggling. Hence the push for a new sexy piece of architecture

Old 05-11-2018, 10:08 AM   #195
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Getting defensive doesn't act as a rebuttal to legitimate concerns.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 10:44 AM   #196
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Pretty cool, if you ask me. Nice and tight, made for soccer, expandable. Should make for a nice match day experience.

Quote:
Sky high? Trust me, given Calgary's track record at maintaining professional soccer, I'd consider attendance of 5000k and survival after five years as a rousing success.

I think that people are generally optimistic about the whole thing. But pointing out that the location is a potential issue for a lot of people isn't butchering a sacred cow - it is just being honest.

And until we get some new news to talk about, this is all we've got. So, Shermanator, what do you have for us? Hmmmmm?

Last edited by Jimmy Stang; 05-11-2018 at 10:46 AM.
Old 05-11-2018, 11:04 AM   #197
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
Sky high? Trust me, given Calgary's track record at maintaining professional soccer, I'd consider attendance of 5000k and survival after five years as a rousing success.

I think that people are generally optimistic about the whole thing. But pointing out that the location is a potential issue for a lot of people isn't butchering a sacred cow - it is just being honest.

And until we get some new news to talk about, this is all we've got. So, Shermanator, what do you have for us? Hmmmmm?
Trust me, I have legitimate concerns about how this whole plan is being executed and perceived by the general public. I think the biggest impediment to people going to this thing is the belief that soccer is still a ##### sport, followed by the perception that this level isn't worth attending when people can watch Premier League on the TV. Throw in a location that is hard to get to, and there are too many built in excuses for people to pass on the product.

But let's not pretend that things like a nice stadium matter when the Flames and Stampeders, Hitmen draw tens of thousands in venues that are described around here as dumpy and outdated.

At the end of the day, it's not my tens of millions being spent to get this thing off the ground. Are people really expecting that a wealthy owner spend hundreds of millions on a sport that still has the stereotype of being a ##### sport? I mean, owners won't spend hundreds of millions on a sport that is massively popular and is ingrained in the fabric of this city.

If Calgary draws what FC Edmonton drew last year, I would be pleasantly surprised.

I suspect there will be more to talk about next Friday....

The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2018, 11:21 AM   #198
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Trust me, I have legitimate concerns about how this whole plan is being executed and perceived by the general public. I think the biggest impediment to people going to this thing is the belief that soccer is still a ##### sport, followed by the perception that this level isn't worth attending when people can watch Premier League on the TV. Throw in a location that is hard to get to, and there are too many built in excuses for people to pass on the product.

At the end of the day, it's not my tens of millions being spent to get this thing off the ground. Are people really expecting that a wealthy owner spend hundreds of millions on a sport that still has the stereotype of being a ##### sport? I mean, owners won't spend hundreds of millions on a sport that is massively popular and is ingrained in the fabric of this city.

If Calgary draws what FC Edmonton drew last year, I would be pleasantly surprised.

I agree that soccer is a tough sell in this city. It occupies an awkward place in between two sets of mindsets. On one hand, you've got that typical arrogance that soccer is for kids and foreigners, but will spend all sorts of time and money following hockey, NFL, etc. etc.

On the other side, you've got "proper" soccer people that will get up early to watch their favourite English or Spanish team, follow their motherland's national team passionately, etc. A lot of expats and immigrants in this group too. The trouble is, many see anything Canadian-grown as inferior. They like soccer - just not Canadian soccer. They'll follow their second-tier domestic club from their father's village in Italy passionately, yet the local club that they can actually go to matches - nope. These people even crap on the MLS because it isn't La Liga.

I think that we are in the midst of a slow culture shift in North America though. The MLS has figured out that supporters groups are needed to make the atmosphere better, that soccer-only stadiums make it more enjoyable, etc. More grassroots. I think that this league gets it too (from early indications).

If the guy with the Denver Broncos room in his basement still thinks that soccer sucks, that's fine. He's a lost cause. But if you can get some people who love the game to put their elitism aside and get them into a festival-like atmosphere, they might realize that supporting the local team can a neat experience, and they can still watch Barcelona on TV - the two can exist together.

I know that you, of all people, get it. If the league and club can tap into that and bridge the divide, this might just work. In the past, teams have plopped themselves in crappy facilities, didn't market themselves well, didn't find a way to appeal to the various little pockets of soccer in Calgary, etc. and then stood there shrugging when it all eventually fell apart.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2018, 11:32 AM   #199
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reneeee View Post
That's decent looking enough. But it's not as sexy as stadiums in England or even BMO in Toronto

I think many of the "sexy" looking stadiums have a much larger capacity. Many non-league and League One/Two stadiums are quite utilitarian, but they get the job done.

Also, I think natural wood might look quite good.
Old 05-11-2018, 11:48 AM   #200
Reneeee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:

But let's not pretend that things like a nice stadium matter when the Flames and Stampeders, Hitmen draw tens of thousands in venues that are described around here as dumpy and outdated.

Simple answer. Yes. Do it the right way or don't do it at all is my opinion