Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2011, 05:00 PM   #1
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:
Default iPhone 3GS down the toilet

So one of my parents who shall remain unnamed dropped their iPhone 3GS into the toilet.

They frantically called me and asked what to do and I said to shut it off asap and put it into a bag of rice for a week. They did that except they got impatient and tried turning it on again and now the Apple logo just keeps blinking and it can't be shut off. I tried holding the home and power buttons but this behavior just keeps going.

I removed the two bottom screws and used a suction cup to pull off the screen portion and stuck everything back into the rice. I'm pretty sure it's beyond resurrection now though.

Has anybody had any experience with wet iPhones? Any chance of repair anywhere?

Contacts and information should still be in itunes on the laptop right? A new iphone could probably be synced with them again right?
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 05:25 PM   #2
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Contacts and information should still be in itunes on the laptop right? A new iphone could probably be synced with them again right?
As long as they recently did a sync/back-up with iTunes everything will transfer to a new iPhone. That includes contacts, calendars, text messages etc. It will also transfer to any: model 3G, 3GS and 4.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mango For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2011, 05:57 PM   #3
SoulOfTheFlame
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hey Hack & Lube,

I had the same behavior as your parents phone after taking mine out of the rice bucket (i left it in for 5 days).

I was able to get it working again by plugging the iphone into my pc and updating my iphone/restoring firmware.

SoulOfTheFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:15 PM   #4
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

The LCD panel looks toast, there's a dark spot in one corner where there is a pool of water. I've pried the panel away from the digitizer and the glass screen and stuck it back in the rice. Hopefully it will suck out the moisture in a day or two. Otherwise if it's just the screen it should be alright as that part is only $30 shipped for a new one. If the motherboard is fried, it's a goner.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:42 PM   #5
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

who talks on the phone while they are going to the bathroom?
Old 02-08-2011, 07:44 PM   #6
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

People do stuff other than talking with their phones these days.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:51 PM   #7
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
People do stuff other than talking with their phones these days.

Still the idea of spreading stuff that goes so close to your mouth while you're doing the business is gross.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:56 PM   #8
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIMking View Post
Still the idea of spreading stuff that goes so close to your mouth while you're doing the business is gross.
I wash my hands.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:58 PM   #9
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had my phone in my shirt pocket, bent down to lift the lid and splash, damn, nothing weird or gross about it.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:22 PM   #10
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
I had my phone in my shirt pocket, bent down to lift the lid and splash, damn, nothing weird or gross about it.
Yeah, as I'm told, it is this situation but with pants with shallow vertical cut pockets and not horizontal ones (like jeans)
Old 02-08-2011, 08:31 PM   #11
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

HaHa stupid iSheep.

More photos on Flickr

Last edited by Regulator75; 02-08-2011 at 08:36 PM.
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:28 PM   #12
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

If it's still within the first year, it might be worth a shot at visiting an Apple Store. I have a buddy who brought his phone in after he dropped it in his drink, and they replaced it for him.

Just tell them what happened and see what they'd be willing to do. You never know. They're usually pretty good at seeing the value in making a customer happy.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:54 PM   #13
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
If it's still within the first year, it might be worth a shot at visiting an Apple Store. I have a buddy who brought his phone in after he dropped it in his drink, and they replaced it for him.

Just tell them what happened and see what they'd be willing to do. You never know. They're usually pretty good at seeing the value in making a customer happy.
My wife actually got them to waive the fee for replacing a water damaged iPhone completely. I suspect it was because she was doing a wack of other Christmas shopping at the time, but I have heard similar stories a few times, even for recently out of warranty phones.