Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2011, 09:41 PM   #1
Jayems
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Best time to buy a new Mac Book Pro?

I'm looking to purchase a mac book pro through my own company. I'm planning on doing so in at the very earliest March. I've been hearing rumours that a new batch of mac book pro;s are coming out (I'm after the 15") but could be delayed due to some flaw in the i7 chip (or something of that technical nature I know nothing about.)

So if any tech gurus are out there... the computer will be used for heavy photo editing. Would it be beneficial to get one of the older models or are the new ones supposed to be much, much better?

And is there any word of when the release date for the new pro's is?

Thanks in advance.
Jayems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:47 PM   #2
DrJ
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If you can wait a few months, I would. April would be a good target date. I read an article on the delays on macrumours.com and hopefully it won't push it back.

I'm not a tech guru but I have had my MBP for 4+ years now and it has been nothing but great.

The current ones will be fine for your photo editing needs but an update will probably provide new/more features at a very comparable price to the current models. If you decide that you don't need the new one when they are released, you can get a great deal on the older model.

I think I'm going to join you and update when the next generation comes out.
DrJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DrJ For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2011, 09:53 PM   #3
BananaPancakes
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Macrumors also has a buyer's guide that shows the length of product cycles.. Check it out..

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#MacBook_Pro

The last update was in April, 2010 so they should get updated relatively soon..
BananaPancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BananaPancakes For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2011, 10:04 PM   #4
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Never.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2011, 10:13 PM   #5
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

As others have said, there are rumors about a MBP refresh coming soon... however, Intel's recent recall on i7 processors might have put an indefinite hold on things.

Even if there is a delay, I would still hold off for now.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2011, 10:16 PM   #6
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yeah, intel's latest recall will cause a delay on the newest refresh. However, it'll probably come in a few months.
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to silentsim For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2011, 10:25 PM   #7
Jayems
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is there a significant change from the last batch?
Jayems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:29 PM   #8
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Well i see your looking at the 15" model. Here's the thing- we don't know if the only upgrade will be the processor. That is what is being assumed this go around (i also believe it will only be a minor refresh with new processor..).

I'll try to find some benchmarks.

I mean, with just photo editing, the current gen macbook pro i7 will still be a powerhouse. its a great processor. your looking till at least april for the new one...but once again, expect that the new chip will be added.

Last edited by silentsim; 02-03-2011 at 10:34 PM.
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:41 PM   #9
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Disclaimer: This is all speculation/rumors.

Rumors are that all the new MBPs will be all solid state memory (like the MacBook Air), have no optical drive, and operate on Intel's new Sandy Bridge. Probably higher-res screens, and an updated (but still not very powerful) GPU.

I'm guessing the price point will be about the same or slightly as when the 2010s came out, and the 2010s will be slightly discounted.

Best deal will be buying a recertified 2010 MacBook Pro right after the 2011s come out.

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:43 PM   #10
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

For me, the big thing I'm hoping for is a switch back to ATI cards.

Edit: Whoa, and the standard SSD - but only if they allow for 2 drive bays. Also, I can't imagine them dropping the DVD drive from the Pro models. The Pro machines have always been intended for "pro" purposes - and I'm sure there are lots of media pros out there who need their DVD burners.

Last edited by FanIn80; 02-03-2011 at 10:47 PM.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:50 PM   #11
BigDogg
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMcGeough View Post
Disclaimer: This is all speculation/rumors.

Rumors are that all the new MBPs will be all solid state memory (like the MacBook Air), have no optical drive, and operate on Intel's new Sandy Bridge. Probably higher-res screens, and an updated (but still not very powerful) GPU.

I'm guessing the price point will be about the same or slightly as when the 2010s came out, and the 2010s will be slightly discounted.

Best deal will be buying a recertified 2010 MacBook Pro right after the 2011s come out.
I'd be very surprised if they did away with SATA drives and went all SSD this soon. The price on SSDs are still very high for not a lot of space. Granted they should be a custom order option.
Jayems, like others have mentioned above, best bang for your buck would be to wait it out. Apple tends to slot in the new models at the same (or slightly different, $50-$100) price as the previous models. I wouldn't hold out for discounts on 2010 models. Most resellers will try to keep their stock to a minimum before the refresh and even if they do have them, you'll likely only be looking at $50-$150 off, Apple are real pricks for price protection (I work at an Apple Auth. Reseller)
BigDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:48 AM   #12
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Also - Intel's Light Peak is rumored to be making an appearance, which makes total sense if they ditch spinning drives altogether.

If not, we should hopefully at least see USB 3.0. So, if external drive performance is very important to you, you might want to wait for the new ones. USB 2.0 drives suck.

Last edited by MickMcGeough; 02-04-2011 at 08:57 AM.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:56 AM   #13
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogg View Post
I'd be very surprised if they did away with SATA drives and went all SSD this soon. The price on SSDs are still very high for not a lot of space. Granted they should be a custom order option.
For us, sure.

I have a feeling that if Apple told Samsung they're going to convert their entire flagship laptop line over to their SSD tech, they'd get a pretty good price.

Not to mention Apple's got loads of headroom on their margins here.

The Following User Says Thank You to MickMcGeough For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2011, 09:58 AM   #14
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I bought one a few days ago. It's just the basic one but with an upgraded hard drive. I figured a Core 2 Duo was good enough for the missus to tag photos and create DVDs and watch movies on it when she wants. So I figure the best time is when you need one.

If you're looking for more than basic you should probably wait till the new ones come out and the older ones go down in price or the refurbs (which look brand new...I have a refurb iMac 24") start showing up.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:36 PM   #15
BigDogg
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMcGeough View Post
For us, sure.

I have a feeling that if Apple told Samsung they're going to convert their entire flagship laptop line over to their SSD tech, they'd get a pretty good price.

Not to mention Apple's got loads of headroom on their margins here.
Good point.
Knowing Apple though, even if they get the drives at a good price, they aren't likely to pass along much of the savings to the end buyer and would probably still gouge you for the higher sizes. Their current price on a 512gb SSD upgrade on a MBP 15" is almost $1500 extra, I just can't see them making a huge cut in that price, even if they get a sweet deal on them.
BigDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:04 PM   #16
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

The hardware mark up on Apple computers is obscene. You could buy a laptop with the same hardware or better for half the price.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:10 PM   #17
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
The hardware mark up on Apple computers is obscene. You could buy a laptop with the same hardware or better for half the price.
Hi. Welcome to the Tech Talk forum

Old 02-04-2011, 01:11 PM   #18
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

LOL.

I should have said, anyone expecting a break from the 200% mark up computer company is probably in for a letdown.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:16 PM   #19
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogg View Post
Good point.
Knowing Apple though, even if they get the drives at a good price, they aren't likely to pass along much of the savings to the end buyer and would probably still gouge you for the higher sizes. Their current price on a 512gb SSD upgrade on a MBP 15" is almost $1500 extra, I just can't see them making a huge cut in that price, even if they get a sweet deal on them.
You're comparing Apple's mid-2010 pricing to mid-2011 pricing.

A 13" 256GB SSD MacBook Pro is $2337, but a similarly-powered 13" 256GB MacBook Air is $1599. I'm sure Apple will still have an overpriced upgrade option, but I wouldn't be surprised if 256GB SSD is standard in the new MBPs at just a slightly higher price point (for the 15-17s, I expect the 13s to take a larger jump).

Old 02-04-2011, 01:19 PM   #20
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I bought a used 2008 Macbook Pro from a guy who fixes and sells used Macs and it is more then enough to edit my photos for my hobby. It came upgraded to 4G ram, new hard drive, and new battery for $600 and it is a 17". If you are going to get it mainly for photo editing the current model should be more then capable.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote