Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2011, 11:21 PM   #1
LockedOut
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Flaw found in Intel's new Sandy Bridge Chipset

So if you recently bought one of those new Intel CPU's along with a MB with the Sandy Bridge chipset there is quite a big flaw in the chipset. You might want to contact wherever you bought the MB for instructions on how to get a replacement which probably won't be available for a month or so.

Quote:
As part of ongoing quality assurance, Intel Corporation has discovered a design issue in a recently released support chip, the Intel 6 Series, code-named Cougar Point, and has implemented a silicon fix. In some cases, the Serial-ATA (SATA) ports within the chipsets may degrade over time, potentially impacting the performance or functionality of SATA-linked devices such as hard disk drives and DVD-drives. The chipset is utilized in PCs with Intel's latest Second Generation Intel Core processors, code-named Sandy Bridge. Intel has stopped shipment of the affected support chip from its factories. Intel has corrected the design issue, and has begun manufacturing a new version of the support chip which will resolve the issue. The Sandy Bridge microprocessor is unaffected and no other products are affected by this issue.
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=20789
LockedOut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LockedOut For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2011, 11:23 PM   #2
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

This potentially means the next generation of Macbook Pro's will be delayed, since they supposed to use Sandy Bridge. (Info for the mac crowd here )
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:36 PM   #3
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Thanks, good thing I didn't jump in right away.
photon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:47 AM   #4
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:32 AM   #5
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

I don't know who thought making the controller out of sand was going to be a good idea in the first place.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:56 AM   #6
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

HP currently doesnt have an offering for corporate orders. We were waiting on a few, I guess we will be going i7 for the time being.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:17 AM   #7
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

the new 2500k and 2600k are insane for performance @ their costs. 2600k is like 3rd best cpu you can buy at 300$ish, while the competition costs >1000$
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:50 PM   #8
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Yeah, that's why I was going to grab one, I'm still pre-i7 generation on my CPU.
photon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:48 PM   #9
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have a SB system, and frankly this doesn't seem like a big deal.

I guess it will all depend on how Asus (my motherboard manufacturer) handles the recall. My optimal solution would be to have them send me a SATA card with 4 ports on it to replace the 4 that will inevitably fail in the future.

Having to rip apart my computer to RMA the motherboard would be an extremely frustrating process - seeing as I would also be computer-less during that time.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:08 PM   #10
cKy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regorium View Post
I have a SB system, and frankly this doesn't seem like a big deal.

I guess it will all depend on how Asus (my motherboard manufacturer) handles the recall. My optimal solution would be to have them send me a SATA card with 4 ports on it to replace the 4 that will inevitably fail in the future.

Having to rip apart my computer to RMA the motherboard would be an extremely frustrating process - seeing as I would also be computer-less during that time.
I know with Dell when I RMA parts at work, they send the replacement first, and I have a certain amount of time to send the part back. Minimal downtime.

Sucks to take the machine apart I agree, but it's nice that they have recognized their mistake.

cKy is offline   Reply With Quote