Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2011, 07:13 PM   #1
Nehkara
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Corsair SSD Sale at Memory Express

Hey CP!

Just wanted to let everyone know know that Memory Express has the Corsair Force Series SSDs on sale.

40 GB - $85
60 GB - $120
120 GB - $199

These are, from what I have read, very high performing SATA SSDs. I am going to pick one up tomorrow.

Review

Huge thanks to Dion for the signature!

Last edited by Nehkara; 02-05-2011 at 07:16 PM.
Nehkara is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nehkara For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2011, 07:52 PM   #2
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nehkara View Post
Hey CP!

Just wanted to let everyone know know that Memory Express has the Corsair Force Series SSDs on sale.

40 GB - $85
60 GB - $120
120 GB - $199

These are, from what I have read, very high performing SATA SSDs. I am going to pick one up tomorrow.

Review
Nice drive - pretty much all Sandforce-based drives are created more or less equal, and that is to say ridiculously fast.

$199 for the 120GB is a good price but not outstanding. They had another Sandforce SF-1200 120GB drive for $169 not long ago. $199 is still good but one of memex, NCIX, and Newegg will normally have some 120GB SF drives under $200.

ETA: That actually looks like about the cheapest you'll find a 120GB SF drive today. Prices appear to have gone up a bit.

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:01 PM   #3
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

How does this compare to the Intel X25-M 120GB drives? MemEx was selling that for $176 after rebate a month ago. Isn't that a better drive?
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:28 PM   #4
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

The newest SandForce drives pretty much beat the Intels at everything, but the Intel drive still holds up pretty well.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:30 PM   #5
photon

Exp:

http://ncix.com/products/index.php?s...y&promoid=1285

$269 for the 180GB one.

Still expecting the next generation of Intel drives any time now, and SF announced their next gen which has stupid fast 500MB/s+ speeds.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:25 AM   #6
OBCT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've had the 120GB version of that drive in my new build for over 3 months now and definitely like it. Being my first SSD, I obviously can't compare it to any others yet, but as far as I'm concerned the performance is fantastic. Deep/complex/full file structures populate instantaneously when rummaging around Windows Explorer. Windows boots up extremely quickly. Program installs/updates are lightning fast. The entire computing experience seems especially crisp and responsive. (Windows 7 might play a role in that as well.)

It's a little different to think that I could conceivably wear this thing out with excessive reads/writes, but really, following a few simple rules discussed here before and outlined all over the web - and continuously made simpler as new OSes slowly accommodate for SSDs' needs automatically - it isn't really a huge deal.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:18 PM   #7
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
How does this compare to the Intel X25-M 120GB drives? MemEx was selling that for $176 after rebate a month ago. Isn't that a better drive?
I went from an Intel X-25 to a Patriot SandForce-1222 drive (essentially the same as the Corsair). For read speeds and access times, it's pretty much a wash (I think the Sandforce has a slight edge in benchmarks but it's negligible). But the SandForce blows the Intel out of the water in writes. In my benchmarks it's about 5x faster in random writes.

The X-25 is "legendary" because it was the first consumer-level drive with really obscene read performance which, for most people, is where they notice the SSD upgrade the most. Still an excellent piece of hardware but it's fallen behind the SandForce drives at the same price point.

Old 02-06-2011, 02:08 PM   #8
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have been looking to upgrade my laptop to a 60gb or larger SSD for some time now.

I jumped on a 40$ 60gb corsair last week from buy.com but got cancelled due to price error. also a 4 gb stick of ddr3 ram for 30$, also cancelled.

It would be nice to see the cost/gb come down still, as it is a big investment for little storage
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 05:20 PM   #9
NuclearFart
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBCT View Post

It's a little different to think that I could conceivably wear this thing out with excessive reads/writes, but really, following a few simple rules discussed here before and outlined all over the web - and continuously made simpler as new OSes slowly accommodate for SSDs' needs automatically - it isn't really a huge deal.
what's this about?
NuclearFart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 05:53 PM   #10
photon

Exp:

SSDs use flash, which by nature have a limited number of erase-write cycles. Once those are exhausted, an SSD basically becomes a read-only device.

The SSD uses techniques to mitigate that, something called wear-leveling; distributing the writes across the drive evenly so that no one portion of the drive wears out too fast.

SSDs also have other things that lead to something called write-amplification. Because each portion of the drive that is over-written to must be first erased before being written to, and because the size of block that can be erased is bigger than the size of block that can be written, this leads to the drive having to move files around all the time to recover space from deleted files.

The more active the drive is in doing all these things, the closer the drive will be to its theoretical maximum performance, and the more it'll sustain that over its life. The tradeoff is write-amplification, where a single write (save your file) will cascade into far more writes as the data is moved around, metadata is moved, etc etc.

For the most part it's not really a big issue currently, modern drives could take gigabytes being written to them daily for 5 years before it becomes an issue.

But it's going to become more an issue, since the smaller the transistors on the flash, the fewer erase-write cycles it will take before becoming read-only.. and the only good way for them to reduce the cost of these drives significantly is to put more transistors in a smaller area (so you get more memory per physical size of chip, or more chips on each chunk of silicon bringing costs down). So this'll become more of an issue as we go on.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2011, 09:59 AM   #11
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

http://www.meritline.com/ocz-vertex-...q_v=dc142d19e2