Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2018, 09:35 AM   #61
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
4 teams played overseas last year. 2 were just fine (1 actually overachieved), 1 regressed under a coach that had already experienced 2nd year failure and 1 was rebuilding anyway.

We need to stop looking for things to worry about 4 months in advance.
But how many had a brand new coaching staff? That's my biggest worry.

It could be a blessing though, this could really galvanize the team since it'll mostly be the opening day roster that is going.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 09:37 AM   #62
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
It could be a blessing though, this could really galvanize the team since it'll mostly be the opening day roster that is going.
I am of this opinion. Far less mixing-in of AHL tweeners, hopeful maybes, and prospects who are 99.9% returning to the CHL after camp anyway. More "team-time" for the actual NHL squad to bond, more scrimmage/practices together without the training camp roster lineup experimentation.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:38 AM   #63
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Exactly. I think the idea is that the Flames will take what they believe will be close to an opening day roster to China with them leaving a bunch of AHL/ PTO/Prospects in Calgary. The coach will be with his group the entirety of that time. If anything they get a head start on other teams (aside from Boston).
Toonage is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2018, 10:54 AM   #64
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corral View Post
Count me as one who thinks this is awful timing for this team - first training camp for Peters and he has to deal with an NHL sideshow circus to China. This team is under a lot of pressure this coming season ... why the @#$# would Edwards et al agree to this.
They agreed to this months ago. Look at the interviews that were posted yesterday, the interviews with Gaudreau and Smith were obviously shot at the All-Star Game.

The Flames were solidly in a playoff spot when the decision was made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
But how many had a brand new coaching staff? That's my biggest worry.

Both Vancouver and Los Angeles had new coaching staffs last year. They went to China and both had strong starts to the season. Vancouver went 6-3-2 in October and LA went 9-2-1.

This year's China trip is also about a week earlier than last year's, so they won't be go right in the middle of training camp like last year's teams did.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:06 AM   #65
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

This is good news even if the only outcome is a shorter offseason for the Flames.

My brother who lives just outside Shanghai is pissed that there are no games in Shanghai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:07 AM   #66
Drunk Uncle
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I think it will be great for the Flames if for no other reason than as a team building exercise. If the season starts just into October like last year there should be no concern about jet lag but the group will most definitely be tighter knit to start the season IMO.
Drunk Uncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:38 AM   #67
OmegaV4
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

OmegaV4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OmegaV4 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2018, 08:51 PM   #68
Go_Flames4ever
Farm Team Player

Exp:

So are the games September 15 & 19 local time? That would mean 14 & 18 here.
Go_Flames4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 09:04 PM   #69
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Nope just really early here on the same day. Pretty sure they are 14 hours ahead.
Toonage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 10:44 PM   #70
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just another excuse along with the new coach for the slow start amirite?

I think going to China for a game would be cool. I wonder what sort of expansion plan the NHL has for China. I know the major sports leagues want to tap that market, but I guess the question is how do you do it?
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 08:15 AM   #71
JD
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
My brother who lives just outside Shanghai is pissed that there are no games in Shanghai.
Why be pissed about that? He's got a quick train or plane ride to see the Flames! I live in the Middle East and I'm almost giddy they're coming to my hemisphere.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JD For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2018, 09:08 AM   #72
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corral View Post
LOL if you think its really just a matter of icing a team for 2 games in China. There is a A LOT of organization needed for this, and it is very disruptive for a new coach looking to imprint his plan onto this team to have his roster fly halfway across the globe for a couple meaningless games.

i didn't say it would sink our season. But its a kick in the pants to Peters for sure.
On the other hand, it's a long trip for the vets with the new coach, who would otherwise be splitting his time with prospects and such. Maybe on the trip, he gets buy in from the vets, and they come back excited. Tough to say, I think it's a coin toss. I like the team bonding angle though. There were times last year when the boys seemed like they weren't on the same planet, let alone the same team.
FlamesFanTrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 09:37 AM   #73
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

AV geek in me wants to know if they're going to fly in the Crystal Skye like the Canucks did last year:

Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 10:15 AM   #74
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
AV geek in me wants to know if they're going to fly in the Crystal Skye like the Canucks did last year
They better. That looks amazing.
Old 05-04-2018, 02:35 PM   #75
Zoller
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Just another excuse along with the new coach for the slow start amirite?

I think going to China for a game would be cool. I wonder what sort of expansion plan the NHL has for China. I know the major sports leagues want to tap that market, but I guess the question is how do you do it?
Sending NHL players to the 2022 olympics in China would certainly help
Zoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 02:37 PM   #76
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lmao @ NHL expansion to anywhere overseas, much less China.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 03:00 PM   #77
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

The logistics of balancing travel/personal lives / keeping in top shape for games would just be far too messy and disadvantageous for the team to deal with. And I think it is a little difficult to introduce newer Chinese fans to following NHL teams – while the games aren’t being played at an ungodly hour like it would be for Europe, it’s happening during the workday morning.

I think what they want more is access to the talent pool – with that kind of a population in Asia there is bound to be some gems in the rough that can find success at the NHL level. And with that local support, the fan viewership and business opportunities will eventually follow. Local benefits need to be realized first before others are considered.

The NHL knows China does very strongly at the summer Olympics; their training regimens and mentality, plus their huge population sets them up quite well for that. And with the Chinese economy the way it is now, the quality of training facilities, exposure and interest for winter sports are quickly catching up. They also understand that men's hockey is the marquee event of the Winter Olympics as well, and the amount of $$ being poured into the Chinese National Hockey Program is a testament to that recognition.
Old 06-05-2018, 12:49 AM   #78
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

At the STH info session tonight, Treliving mentioned that the Flames will be playing 3 preseason games here while the main team is in China.
Old 06-10-2018, 06:07 AM   #79
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
At the STH info session tonight, Treliving mentioned that the Flames will be playing 3 preseason games here while the main team is in China.
Oh yeah, they won't give up that free revenue from season ticket holders. There'll be no NHL players and probably 4k buts in seats and not a single non STH sale, but they'll get 15k season ticket sales. Total sham, but no reason for them not to do it.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 02:06 PM   #80
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Andersson and Kulak are getting ready for the trip...