Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2016, 11:28 AM   #1081
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I could buy the theory that it's not Arya because of the way she's gallivanting around and "walking like a rich person". I could buy that it's Jaqen because he's actually testing the Waif because she obviously hasn't let go of a personal grudge against Arya, which is very un faceless men like.

But I think it's a little silly. Arya is unkillable really because investing that much time in a character who ended up having zero impact in the world as a whole would just be such a hilarious misstep that I couldn't see them doing it.

That whole scene was a little odd. I really hope it ends up just being face value. The Waif attacked Arya, now she needs to survive and probably fight the Waif. No need for all the "it wasn't really Arya" shenanigans IMO.
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 11:34 AM   #1082
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

But we aren't dealing with Martin anymore, we are at the mercy of the GoT show writers. Sadly the talent gap is noticeable.
Old 06-06-2016, 11:34 AM   #1083
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
I stand by my "ketchup packets carefully placed over chainmail" theory.
bizarrely enough, I'm starting to believe this theory myself. how she could swim underwater to the dock right after being given the John Snow/Talisa Special, and then wander around a busy street where literally anybody could be the Waif ready to finish her off. like Mad Max might say, that's bait.

regarding Hound's situation, since when did the Brotherhood start mass murdering innocents? last we saw them they were more like Robin Hood's band of merry men. unless they've become radicalized in their Rhllor worship and are now eliminating adherents to other faiths?
Inglewood Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 11:35 AM   #1084
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
But we aren't dealing with Martin anymore, we are at the mercy of the GoT show writers. Sadly the talent gap is noticeable.
Sorry Locke, looks like we still have to deal with the whines from the book readers still.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2016, 11:37 AM   #1085
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
bizarrely enough, I'm starting to believe this theory myself. how she could swim underwater to the dock right after being given the John Snow/Talisa Special, and then wander around a busy street where literally anybody could be the Waif ready to finish her off. like Mad Max might say, that's bait.

regarding Hound's situation, since when did the Brotherhood start mass murdering innocents? last we saw them they were more like Robin Hood's band of merry men. unless they've become radicalized in their Rhllor worship and are now eliminating adherents to other faiths?
Who said it was the brotherhood that murdered those people?

Also, we need to start really thinking outside the box on the waif/Arya theories. I think that the Waif was actually Jaqen in disguise and Arya was actually the Waif.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 11:39 AM   #1086
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
like Mad Max might say, that's bait.
That's where I was going as well. Stumble through the streets like a wounded animal to draw her out and then strike.
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 11:39 AM   #1087
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

Quote:

I heard a theory that McShane's character was a Frey. In which case the Brotherhood might be out for blood.
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 11:42 AM   #1088
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Who said it was the brotherhood that murdered those people?

Also, we need to start really thinking outside the box on the waif/Arya theories. I think that the Waif was actually Jaqen in disguise and Arya was actually the Waif.
Lets dig deeper.. what if it was Arya dressed as Jaqen dressed as the Waif who stabbed Jaqen dressed as the Waif dressed as Arya!

Old 06-06-2016, 11:56 AM   #1089
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
It is totally noticeable. The show is actually moving forward while the books . . . not so much. I'm probably not even going to bother continuing with the books at this point to be honest.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 11:57 AM   #1090
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

This season's been on the whole more interesting and an improvement from the past two. And much of this season is diverging or ahead of the books, so I'd say the showrunners are doing an admirable job. Minus the odd unnecessary scene and jumps in time and placement of characters (I mean htf did Baelish get to the wall from the Vale in one episode? While Robb and his army took over a season to get to the riverlands from the north). Oh well. I've noticed a bit more 'fan servicing' this season, and a notable jump in the pace of the plot, and perhaps some more cohesiveness as to the larger picture. It's becoming more apparent how each storyline will play into the eventual conclusion. Also we know they consulted George on the remainder of the show/story. And probably about what characters would/wouldn't do in order to stay true to them. Both will end up in the same place by the sounds of it, so that's good.

Last edited by djsFlames; 06-06-2016 at 12:02 PM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 11:58 AM   #1091
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, if the talent gap is what caused plots to actually advance, then I'm all for this talent gap
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2016, 12:19 PM   #1092
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think it's a talent gap and it's likely why Martin is stuck.

The issue in predictability is that it's becoming clear who is important. I don't think any Sci fi / fantasy epic has had a conclusion as satisfying as the build up.

Foundation, dark tower, LoTR, Rama, Harry Potter, lost, etc.

Once a show turns the corner from world expansion to plot conclusion it's always less satisfying.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 12:22 PM   #1093
LanceUppercut
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Yeah, if the talent gap is what caused plots to actually advance, then I'm all for this talent gap
Agreed. The great bearded glacier will take another year or two to finish the next book. I'll take the show that advances a plot more than once a book thank you very much.
LanceUppercut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 01:21 PM   #1094
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

It's actually pretty interesting how this all has played out isn't? Martin writes a great series of books, but from what I understand made the decision to split books 4-5 and have a number of plots go nowhere. In the Interim, the show had the advantage to maintain most of the major beats, and streamline the numerous characters. Now the show is spoiling the books and will move toward the end game, while Martin finishes two books to get to the same place.

I'm curious if
a) the books and show actually do end in the same place or
b) GRRM goes an entire different ending direction, giving us a completely different resolution in two different mediums.

At this point, I have my doubts Martin ever actually finishes his story though
Jbo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 01:36 PM   #1095
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Imagine they'll have the same ending, might get there on two different paths however.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 01:52 PM   #1096
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ha. Who wrote the last 2 books then, because that individual had an extreme LOFT?
Unless their talent was boring people.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 03:39 PM   #1097
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Almost nothing happens in the last two books besides introduce irrelevant stories and characters.

Indeed the storytelling has been taken over by professionals from a guy who has no idea how to finish his story.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 04:06 PM   #1098
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbo View Post
At this point, I have my doubts Martin ever actually finishes his story though
I've always imagined it will be like Robert Jordan not being able to finish the Wheel of Time series, and Brandon Sanderson got it back on track and finished it. Someone will likely finish in his stead if he doesn't get there.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 04:24 PM   #1099
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Anyway..... lets get this back on track. Sandor Clegane is back!!! Bring me one of those chickens!

NSFW!
Old 06-06-2016, 08:11 PM   #1100
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Looks like we are heading to an Avengers style showdown between Cersei and the high sparrow.

Sparrow: I have the love of the people and a fanatical army.
Cersei: I have a Mountain.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote