Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2017, 08:12 PM   #21
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
It's horrifying that Caitlan was raped and beyond sickening that one of their children was killed, but crap on a cracker, watched an interview with him today and Joshua Boyle is a goddamn numpty.

I don't know how to embed this video so you'll just have to click on the link to watch - http://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1073335875507/
Why? Sounds fine to me.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 03:25 AM   #22
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Why? Sounds fine to me.
Boyle and this story is very strange, spidey sense tells me nothing is "fine" here
Snuffleupagus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 06:29 AM   #23
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I saw the video and it's totally unfair but it made me think about Nicholas Brody.
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 10:02 AM   #24
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

What's the numpty comment about? The guy was very well spoken considering all things and he has a message asking for justice.
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 11:54 AM   #25
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

The guy is raised a fundamentalist Christian. Home schooled. Becomes obsessed with terrorism (“Anything related to terrorism on Wikipedia, I wrote, pretty much.") Marries into Canada's most notorious radical Islamic family (his wife's previous marriage was attended by Osama bin Laden). Gets divorced. Converts to Islam. Marries a woman he met on Star Wars fan sites. Heads off to one of the most dangerous regions of the world on some kind of mercy mission. Gets his wife pregnant on the way. Gets captured by the Taliban. After being freed, refuses to be transported on a U.S. military plane.

Sorry, the guy is clearly a class-A moonbat. If he wanted to help people in that part of the world, he could have gone through normal channels and volunteered with an NGO. He's the kind of naive idiot who used to defect from the West to the utopia of the Soviet Union, only to realize it was a horror-show and then beg to come back again.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 10-15-2017 at 01:30 PM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2017, 04:22 PM   #26
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

You make it sound much worse than it is. And he denies he refused a ride on a US military plane.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 06:00 PM   #27
flamesforcup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Kudos to the Pakistan military for the successful raid after the US army didnt do anything for 5 years.
flamesforcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 06:37 PM   #28
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesforcup View Post
Kudos to the Pakistan military for the successful raid after the US army didnt do anything for 5 years.
Is it really the job of the U.S. military to rescue every daft Westerner who gets captured in a lawless country rife with kidnappers and terrorists, in spite of all the clear warnings that it's not a safe country to travel in?
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2017, 06:54 PM   #29
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
You make it sound much worse than it is. And he denies he refused a ride on a US military plane.
It's hard to me it sound good. The reasoning for denying the US ride afterwards is somewhat sound though. They don't exactly have the best track record for treating suspected terrorists well. It's likely the USA would have at least heavily investigated him without providing proper legal rights. It made sense to wait a few days for the Canadian ride.

That being said, this guy has poor judgment to the point of appearing to have mental illness.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 07:10 PM   #30
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
That being said, this guy has poor judgment to the point of appearing to have mental illness.
Yup. Even his parents describe him as "very naive." And yet his headlong folly seems to have been enabled by them. Hard to imagine how a guy working at a call centre could even afford to travel to Asia, and the wife's parents are apparently not well off at all. Wouldn't be surprised to learn his dad, who is a judge (!) funded the whole trip. Just a bizarre, bizarre family situation.
Old 10-15-2017, 07:11 PM   #31
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

To make things even stranger, while usually terrorist groups have no problem taking credit for their crimes, the Taliban claim that Boyle's accusations that they raped his wife and killed his daughter are untrue - http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/taliban...ions-1.3633018
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 10:24 PM   #32
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've seen Homeland. I know how this story ends.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2017, 09:20 AM   #33
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

I have a bad gut feeling about this... He's one of them or something. It all just doesn't add up
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 09:23 AM   #34
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I saw it in passing this morning but I'm not sure what I heard. But on CTV they were talking about some other people that have been held hostage by the Taliban and they view hostages as these huge money assets so they basically go out of their way to protect the hostages and keep them healthy because hostage taking is a cash business.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 09:24 AM   #35
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
I have a bad gut feeling about this... He's one of them or something. It all just doesn't add up
I still think he wanted to be one of them, and the situation turned. Maybe they said, this guy is a delusional fool, but maybe we can make some green off of him.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:33 AM   #36
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
I don't think he is one of them, I think he is a delusional fool, that might have romanticized it all in his head and then the reality was a slap in the face.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2017, 10:40 AM   #37
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

I just find it hard to believe that if they were taking hostages that they have enough freedom to have 2 more kids in captivity.
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 10:42 AM   #38
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Well its not like they had cable and wifi.

Old 10-16-2017, 03:25 PM   #39
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...tan-kidnapping

Quote:
Boyle, now 34, said he and Coleman, 31, had always planned to have a big family, and had dreamed of having as many as 12 children. While in captivity, they decided to forge ahead with these plans, deciding: “Hey, let’s make the best of this and at least go home with a larger start on our dream family.... We always wanted as many as possible, and we didn't want to waste time. Cait's in her 30s, the clock is ticking.”
Spoiler!

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 10-16-2017 at 03:32 PM.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:29 PM   #40
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

[QUOTE=CliffFletcher;6419672]https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...tan-kidnapping

Quote:
The experience has left the couple’s middle child, Dhakwoen Noah, two, traumatised. “It seems everything reminds him of the horrors of prison: cameras are equated to hostage videos, pens are equated to syringes used to drug his parents with ketamine by the guards, slamming doors is associated with cell searches or worse. It seems his healing process has barely begun – so we pray that God will hasten it,” he told the CBC.

It's almost as though voluntarily exposing children to these horrors was a bad idea. What a bumpkin.