Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2017, 03:10 PM   #21
Insane_Flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Had same problem. Just uninstall and reinstall from his repo and all is good again.
To be clear, is this through a streaming box, can this be installed on a pc?
Insane_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 03:17 PM   #22
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I regularly watch the game delayed so I do not believe the app for the phone to a chromecast is an option. If I remember correctly there is no option to start from the beginning from it. I am fine with my laptop most nights.

I would have to look through old notes regarding chromecast and VPNs but essentially you need to route the DNS of the chromecast to a dummy IP and then when it fails it will use your routers DNS settings. This means you need your router setup to the the VPN and not just individual machines.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 03:18 PM   #23
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been using GC for a couple years and usually stream to my Xbox One. It gets 60fps and is so damn smooth to watch. I find the Kodi works good too, but you have to watch it live. I like to wait an hour after puck drop so I can skip commercials. On Kodi you have to watch it live (no option to start game from the beginning). I also find the color on Kodi to be a lot more vibrant, almost cartoon like.

Watching it in Chrome is hit or miss. You don't get the 60fps, which is a huge deal break for me. Why they refuse to stream in 60fps makes me angry, considering you can get that framerate on xbox or Kodi. So why the F not in Chrome??

Another crappy feature is that I have my PC linked to my TV via HDMI cable. This means the resolution can be slightly off. Which means sometimes my taskbar at the bottom of the screen covers the 'maximize' button on the video player. If I try to scroll down, it automatically switches to showing the stats. It's hard to explain if you have never experienced this, but I'm sure it's happened to other Chrome viewers. I have to hide my task bar on my TV so I can see the maximize button. The web player itself kind of blows. Sometimes the game will just restart for no reason. And you can't double click to maximize the player.

I also noticed now in Chrome that when it will prompt you disable add block for 'maximum viewer experience'. What a load of ####. All that means is that you now get unskippable ads during commercials! I queue up a game so I can skip the ads and it literally forces me to watch them? F that, back on Add Block goes and no more ads.

Overall I like the Xbox app the most for image quality and ease of use. The one bad thing is that even though this is the year 2017 and you purchase GC to get ALL games, it still blackouts local games. Using a VPN in Chrome fixes that. But now I don't get 60fps, since I'm now watching it in Chrome. I could configure my VPN settings to go through my router so I could watch local games on my Xbox, but I don't want to do that. Has anyone ever successfully watched a game in 60fps on any browser? I've tried both IE and Chrome, but neither gets that quality. Anyone tried in Opera or Firefox?

GC is a love/hate relationship. I love that I can watch all games at any time and am able to skip commercials. But I hate how old the player is, the lack of true customization and not getting 60fps in the browser. But I purchased GC so I could cancel my cable, and with GC I've been successful is doing so.

Last edited by Huntingwhale; 10-10-2017 at 03:23 PM.
Huntingwhale is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2017, 03:31 PM   #24
Insane_Flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
I've been using GC for a couple years and usually stream to my Xbox One. It gets 60fps and is so damn smooth to watch. I find the Kodi works good too, but you have to watch it live. I like to wait an hour after puck drop so I can skip commercials. On Kodi you have to watch it live (no option to start game from the beginning). I also find the color on Kodi to be a lot more vibrant, almost cartoon like.

Watching it in Chrome is hit or miss. You don't get the 60fps, which is a huge deal break for me. Why they refuse to stream in 60fps makes me angry, considering you can get that framerate on xbox or Kodi. So why the F not in Chrome??

Another crappy feature is that I have my PC linked to my TV via HDMI cable. This means the resolution can be slightly off. Which means sometimes my taskbar at the bottom of the screen covers the 'maximize' button on the video player. If I try to scroll down, it automatically switches to showing the stats. It's hard to explain if you have never experienced this, but I'm sure it's happened to other Chrome viewers. I have to hide my task bar on my TV so I can see the maximize button. The web player itself kind of blows. Sometimes the game will just restart for no reason. And you can't double click to maximize the player.

I also noticed now in Chrome that when it will prompt you disable add block for 'maximum viewer experience'. What a load of ####. All that means is that you now get unskippable ads during commercials! I queue up a game so I can skip the ads and it literally forces me to watch them? F that, back on Add Block goes and no more ads.

Overall I like the Xbox app the most for image quality and ease of use. The one bad thing is that even though this is the year 2017 and you purchase GC to get ALL games, it still blackouts local games. Using a VPN in Chrome fixes that. But now I don't get 60fps, since I'm now watching it in Chrome. I could configure my VPN settings to go through my router so I could watch local games on my Xbox, but I don't want to do that. Has anyone ever successfully watched a game in 60fps on any browser? I've tried both IE and Chrome, but neither gets that quality. Anyone tried in Opera or Firefox?

GC is a love/hate relationship. I love that I can watch all games at any time and am able to skip commercials. But I hate how old the player is, the lack of true customization and not getting 60fps in the browser. But I purchased GC so I could cancel my cable, and with GC I've been successful is doing so.
I TOTALLY KNOW THE FRUSTRATION OF THE HIDDEN MAXIMIZE BUTTON! But I thought they had fixed it this year. Either that or I have found the sweet spot on my zoom level where I can see the whole screen.
Old 10-10-2017, 03:36 PM   #25
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane_Flame View Post
To be clear, is this through a streaming box, can this be installed on a pc?
Sorry, yes it can be installed on PC, Mac or Linux box.
Not sure if supposed to link outside, so just Google download Kodi and pick your version.

There is a bit more to installing the addon. There are good guides around, I think. I can help walk you through that process, if interested.

Last edited by EldrickOnIce; 10-10-2017 at 03:39 PM.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 03:49 PM   #26
Duke43
Backup Goalie

Location: Penticton in Spring/Summer, Las Vegas in Fall/Winter
Exp:

Get a VPN
Old 10-10-2017, 03:56 PM   #27
Duke43
Backup Goalie

Location: Penticton in Spring/Summer, Las Vegas in Fall/Winter
Exp:

"Another crappy feature is that I have my PC linked to my TV via HDMI cable. This means the resolution can be slightly off. Which means sometimes my taskbar at the bottom of the screen covers the 'maximize' button on the video player."

Go to the top of the screen where it shows alternate viewing and then click the arrow on the right side and it will drop the screen down so to expose the maximize button.
Old 10-10-2017, 04:16 PM   #28
TurdFerguson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone else having problems with the NHL xbox one app this season? Every time I try to start a game it tells me I have no internet connection. Xbox troubleshooting tells me otherwise.

I've deleted and reinstalled the app multiple times over the past couple weeks with the same result.
Old 10-10-2017, 04:28 PM   #29
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Used to stream through the PS3 NHL.TV app. While the quality was nice, it would constantly skip back 10 seconds in the stream and play again. Up to 3-4 times in a 20 second span. Seriously annoying.

Chromecast just doesn't work properly either. Quality isn't the same.

Honestly, picking a stream on reddit and setting the quality a bit lower than full HD works perfectly. Can't believe whoever wrote the app doesn't allow you to do that. Would solve so many problems.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 05:12 PM   #30
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've had issues Chromecasting NHL.TV as well with the feed randomly failing multiple times per game. It works find on my phone or from the website though.

Also, it seems like the crashing only occurs during games on Sportsnet. Yesterday I couldn't get through 5 minutes on the Flames feed but when I changed over to the Ducks feed it worked fine for the rest of the game.
Old 10-10-2017, 05:27 PM   #31
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Everything is better with Roku
Old 10-11-2017, 04:04 PM   #32
Simon96Taco
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I usually get pretty decent quality in HD on my tablet or phone....however, the fact that I can't watch Flames games while I'm here in Calgary is ridiculously annoying.

Sometimes I'd like to watch while I'm in the garage, or basement, but can't because of regional restrictions. How does that make sense????

I tried VPN and set my IP to somewhere in Europe but it didn't work....I'm too stupid for VPN apparently.
Simon96Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 12:12 PM   #33
MrCallahan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I still use a basic DNS tool, Unblock-US, while useless for Netflix, works perfectly fine of any other services I need to switch! have been using this for the past couple seasons with GC, and have been able to watch every game.
MrCallahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 12:25 PM   #34
socalwingfan
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon96Taco View Post
I usually get pretty decent quality in HD on my tablet or phone....however, the fact that I can't watch Flames games while I'm here in Calgary is ridiculously annoying.

Sometimes I'd like to watch while I'm in the garage, or basement, but can't because of regional restrictions. How does that make sense????

I tried VPN and set my IP to somewhere in Europe but it didn't work....I'm too stupid for VPN apparently.
I use Yonder.tv for MLB.tv and NHL.tv - it works great. I don't have cable so I would get blacked out for post season games - but this service works great. I find the quality of the broadcast is much better than using VPN. I have it setup on my PS4 - it took maybe 5 minutes to configure, and it's very reasonably priced
socalwingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 12:25 PM   #35
Cgycowboy
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
From what I have seen NHL streaming is pretty decent off an Apple TV. Be happy with what you have and just prey that DAZN never gets the NHL rights.
why would you prey for that? whats wrong with DAZN
Cgycowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 12:35 PM   #36
Cgycowboy
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Also has anyone tried to use a VPN to allow for in market watching as well??
Old 10-12-2017, 12:40 PM   #37
Insane_Flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgycowboy View Post
I've used VPN for access to American Netflix. I live in crapcouver so I don't have to worry about flames not being out of market.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:42 PM   #38
Cgycowboy
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane_Flame View Post
I've used VPN for access to American Netflix. I live in crapcouver so I don't have to worry about flames not being out of market.
Which is why I was asking if the same would work for getting around the blackout restrictions

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-12-2017, 01:00 PM   #39
Fischy13
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Can anyone shed light on why I have been blocked out this year? I have a GC subscription, live in Red Deer, have always had access to Flames games and this year I am blocked, saying I am out of region... wtf A VPN works on my PC however when away from home I can't watch on my phone/ipad as the VPN doesn't allow it. I've always had access to Flames games in previous years. Anyone else having these blocked issues?
Fischy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 01:11 PM   #40
TurdFerguson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgycowboy View Post
yes