Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2017, 05:01 PM   #421
BeltlineFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

According to Hockeydb, Matthew Tkachuk has 111 PIM. The rest of his draft class combined has 113.
BeltlineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to BeltlineFan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2017, 05:15 PM   #422
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thank you again, Jim Benning
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dirk diggler For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2017, 05:20 PM   #423
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18YrOldSamBennett View Post
I would love for the flames to draft Brady buy it looks like he is going to go in the top 10

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Also we don't even have a 1st.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:54 PM   #424
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
Thank you again, Jim Benning
I think he's made a good case for being picked third overall, so we should also thank Edmonton's and Columbus' management.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:04 PM   #425
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
I think he's made a good case for being picked third overall, so we should also thank Edmonton's and Columbus' management.
Stumbled across this twitter poll:

Quote:
The Oilers Rig‏ @TheOilersRig

POLL: Would you go back to the 2016 draft and select Matthew Tkachuk over Jesse Puljujarvi?

42% Absolutely yes
40% Absolutely no
18% I’d trade the pick

Puljujarvi may still develop into a good player but I'd take the contributing top 6 forward versus the AHLer with potential 10 times out of 10
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 08:20 PM   #426
Wyguy
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

What kind of contract is this kid gonna get?
Wyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 08:28 PM   #427
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyguy View Post
He's just 1/3 of the way through his ELC, so too soon to tell. But if he continues on the way he's been going so far, we're probably talking something in the $6M neighbourhood.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 08:29 PM   #428
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Count me in as a guy that is double-shocked that Puljujarvi isn't in the NHL.

1st shock - He really doesn't look good, but he looked awesome in his draft year, and has great size, speed and skill.

2nd shock - It is the fricken' Oilers. They plug all their draft picks into the lineup just to show you 'See! We are building something special here!'. He must be really extra-special sucky.

On a serious note, Tkachuk is a monster out there. He does everything so well. Wait until he builds up even more strength, learns a few more tricks and gets a bit faster. If he doesn't take a single step of development from this day forward, I think he is a core-piece. He is on his way to becoming a franchise-level player, and it would surprise me if he doesn't get there in the next few seasons.

Kid is a rock star now.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2017, 08:57 PM   #429
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He's on pace to get a similar contract to Gaudreau and Monahan and he will deserve it
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 08:59 AM   #430
JerryUnderscore
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post

1st shock - He really doesn't look good, but he looked awesome in his draft year, and has great size, speed and skill.

2nd shock - It is the fricken' Oilers. They plug all their draft picks into the lineup just to show you 'See! We are building something special here!'. He must be really extra-special sucky.

On a serious note, Tkachuk is a monster out there. He does everything so well. Wait until he builds up even more strength, learns a few more tricks and gets a bit faster. If he doesn't take a single step of development from this day forward, I think he is a core-piece. He is on his way to becoming a franchise-level player, and it would surprise me if he doesn't get there in the next few seasons.

Kid is a rock star now.
Since drafting McDavid and Dreisaitl they've had enough hope to sell to the fan base that they can finally start developing their kids properly instead of rushing them to the NHL.

On the subject of Tkachuk, I love how easily he gets under the skin of veteran plays. Getzlaf and Doughty should be able to keep their cool out there and yet they're taking swipes at Tkachuk and costing their team a penalty. It's amazing to watch.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:12 AM   #431
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think Keith has had a number of conversations with his boys that started with "Now if you really want to piss someone off, here's what ya do..."
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matata For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2017, 09:15 AM   #432
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

he's the kind of player that makes your blood boil if he's on the other team. He's the kind of player that'll punch you in the face, smile at you and then score a couple. I absolutely love the kid. Such a skilled, intelligent little ####### out there.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2017, 10:07 AM   #433
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post

Kid is a rock star now.
I member all the analysts saying how Mathews is the clear #1, then really either of the 2 Finns could go #2, THAT's how close it is. Boy, how wrong were they? Jets are thanking t heir lucky stars they took Laine over PullyourRV.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 11:14 AM   #434
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I member all the analysts saying how Mathews is the clear #1, then really either of the 2 Finns could go #2, THAT's how close it is. Boy, how wrong were they? Jets are thanking t heir lucky stars they took Laine over PullyourRV.
If you go back and read certain scouting agencies they started to see it as a top tier of two (Matthews and Laine) and then another tier. I argued for that in the draft thread. Some fans on here liked Puljujarvi 2nd best but I think a lot of scouts saw Laine closing the gap to Matthews with his insane playoffs in Finland and making it a two horse race that Matthews would likely win because he plays centre.

I can go back and find some quotes if you don't believe me but IMO Matthews and Laine had clearly stepped to the front.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 11:17 AM   #435
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
If you go back and read certain scouting agencies they started to see it as a top tier of two (Matthews and Laine) and then another tier. I argued for that in the draft thread. Some fans on here liked Puljujarvi 2nd best but I think a lot of scouts saw Laine closing the gap to Matthews with his insane playoffs in Finland and making it a two horse race that Matthews would likely win because he plays centre.

I can go back and find some quotes if you don't believe me but IMO Matthews and Laine had clearly stepped to the front.
That's how I remember it. It was debatable with AM and Laine, but there was a clear drop off between Laine and everyone else. Puljujarvi was thought of as the clear #3, and then guys like Juolevi and Tkachuk after that.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2017, 11:20 AM   #436
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think Tkachuk is my favourite player on the team... He has single handedly changed the character of the Flames. There isn't a player on the team that affects the emotion of the game the way he does. He made that 3rd period against LA exciting to watch.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VilleN For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2017, 09:43 PM   #437
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ha. That’s a fantastic costume:

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to MissTeeks For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2017, 10:21 PM   #438
Wyguy
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I may have already asked, but what the contract this kid is going to get? I've heard some people say as high as 7m, but I thought it would be closer to 4.5, just taking Stajan's salary,
Wyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 10:34 PM   #439
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I may have already asked, but what the contract this kid is going to get? I've heard some people say as high as 7m, but I thought it would be closer to 4.5, just taking Stajan's salary,
I compared a bunch of the biggest 2nd contracts of the last few years a little while ago (after the Draisaitl fiasco), and one of the things that jumped out at me was the correlation between the highest point season they had with the size of the contract. Basically, 60 points was $6M, 70 points was $7M, etc (give or take, of course).

But based on what I saw from that, and what he has done so far, I would guess that he is currently in line for something in the $5.5 - $6M range.

But there is still lots of time before he signs. If he puts up more than 60 points this year, that number is going up.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2017, 12:51 AM   #440
HappyGilmore
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Where do you guys see him point wise this year?