Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-03-2015, 07:36 PM   #21
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

To hell with the Punisher, he's had his day. Marvel has many, many characters they should spotlight before another Punisher re-hash.

Season 2 of DD is going to be such a let down with that Walking Dead reject running around.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 11:02 PM   #22
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jessica Jones certainly got me more interested in seeing the Luke Cage series coming in 2016. I'd guess it's somewhat in the same style, and I think Colter did fine as Cage.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 02:55 AM   #23
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
Jessica Jones certainly got me more interested in seeing the Luke Cage series coming in 2016. I'd guess it's somewhat in the same style, and I think Colter did fine as Cage.
a Luke Cage series? SWEET CHRISTMAS!
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Alberta_Beef For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2015, 07:41 AM   #24
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

I watched it, and I thought it was pretty good. It's definitely not your typical superhero story for sure. The amount of blood and gore in general was somewhat of a surprise. I thought the acting performances carried the show with its inconsistent story arc. All of Ritter, Tennant, Colter, the drug addict, the crazy upstairs neighbours were all quite effective.

Just like in DD with Vincent D'Onofrio, he carried the series with by far the best rendition of the Kingpin I have watched.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2015, 10:41 AM   #25
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
a Luke Cage series? SWEET CHRISTMAS!
It already has a Wikipedia page and everything.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 11:51 AM   #26
rayne008
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just finished it.

I thought that Killgrave was by far the best villain I've seen in a long time. He had some great lines, and pulled off the sympathetic psychopath very well.

Minor gripes about the inconsistency of her powers, not sure if they were trying to show her constraint, but she took a lot more beatings than I expected.

Overall I enjoyed it, way darker than I expected. Pretty graphic as well, my 15 year old watched it before I did, not exactly Family movie night material.
rayne008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 01:18 PM   #27
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
To hell with the Punisher, he's had his day. Marvel has many, many characters they should spotlight before another Punisher re-hash.

Season 2 of DD is going to be such a let down with that Walking Dead reject running around.
They need to do a 90s style, big Punisher story. Start with him busting local gangsters, it builds until he ends up chasing Jigsaw to a south american plantation, that he then blows up with help from a local militia. Punisher makes off with millions of dollars, weapons and info on other organized crime syndicates, queue season 2.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 07:11 PM   #28
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really enjoyed JJ. I thought that Kilgrave was awesome as a bad guy. Well acted as well.

JJ was good. Cage was good. The junkie neighbour was a great touch. The sister was a great angle.

Really enjoyed it.
Old 12-14-2015, 12:19 AM   #29
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
I really enjoyed JJ. I thought that Kilgrave was awesome as a bad guy. Well acted as well.

JJ was good. Cage was good. The junkie neighbour was a great touch. The sister was a great angle.

Really enjoyed it.
My gripe is that it was sooooo noir at times that it was too noir and it came across a bit forced. Other than that it was enjoyable.
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 01:56 PM   #30
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Krysten Ritter Gets Conan A Surprise Holiday Present

http://teamcoco.com/video/krysten-ri...wiaWQiOjQ1NzN9

Really liked the first couple episodes. 4 was a bit of a snooze, so I hope it picks back up.
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 08:47 PM   #31
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just finished the first season, on the tails of watching DD.

It looks like they are going to try and be true to the emotional roots of how these series are going to be presented. DD was the safest, as he is the most 'classic' superhero in terms of tone. Clear place to start, with a lot of room to grow into the more philosophical ninja/Stick/Mephisto territory and building upon the law room angle. JJ is pure noir. I would like to see it go even deeper, into more of a realm of mystery. Cage will be fun, 70s grit with an edge of blaxsploitation. Iron Fist will bring more of the 'Marvel' element that people have come to enjoy in the movies, closest in spirit to Thor, I understand why that introduction will be last.

Remember that this is an introduction to these characters, these first seasons. One thing that they are doing right is giving each character a Ying to their Yang, so to speak. The villians are at least as compelling as the heroes.

As for JJ issues with her powers being inconsistent....
Spoiler!

Other than Cage/JJ (understandable), I really like the subtle intertwining of the different franchises. The appearance of Nurse Temple and Mistress Gao. They don't hit you over the head with crossover possibilities.

When it's all said and done, Defenders could be top five in the superhero genre. So much potential.
Old 12-17-2015, 06:33 AM   #32
Flamesguy_SJ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
As for JJ issues with her powers being inconsistent....
Spoiler!
Spoiler!
Flamesguy_SJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 08:55 AM   #33
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesguy_SJ View Post
Spoiler!
Spoiler!
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wastedyouth For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2015, 09:09 AM   #34
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just finished this on Monday.

Loved it, especially the end. Killgrave is a fantastic villain, actually had me afraid of what he would do next.
Spoiler!

I thought Daredevil might show up with the nurse mentioned him. Can't wait for season 2 of that.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:16 AM   #35
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Just finished this on Monday.

Loved it, especially the end. Killgrave is a fantastic villain, actually had me afraid of what he would do next.
Spoiler!

I thought Daredevil might show up with the nurse mentioned him. Can't wait for season 2 of that.
Makes total sense to not use Daredevil, a guy with super hearing against a mind controller who uses the power of his voice? Couldn't have ended well
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 10:52 AM   #36
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Spoiler!
Spoiler!

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 10:57 AM   #37
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flamesguy and Wasted Youth...
Spoiler!

I agree that Kilgrave was a fantastically played villain. If he lived, DD would have been his monkey-boy assassin, though.
Old 12-17-2015, 11:30 AM   #38
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Makes total sense to not use Daredevil, a guy with super hearing against a mind controller who uses the power of his voice? Couldn't have ended well
True. Could have made things very interesting though.

Either way, dude scared the crap out me like few villains have. What he did to his parents...man.
Old 12-17-2015, 05:42 PM   #39
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
*pushes nerd glasses back on face* Um actually, at least in the MCU, Kilgrave's powers are the result of a virus he transmits and so Mr. Murdock would likely not be any more susceptible to his influence than anyone else.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 07:38 PM   #40
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
*pushes nerd glasses back on face* Um actually, at least in the MCU, Kilgrave's powers are the result of a virus he transmits and so Mr. Murdock would likely not be any more susceptible to his influence than anyone else.
Then why does wearing earphones work, like they showed the hot blonde TV girl doing?
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote