Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2017, 08:28 AM   #121
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
Ugh.

Duncan Keith? I know we're all fans here but yesterday we were comparing Backlund to Kesler now we're saying Brodie is the next Keith?

Seriously?
This was my favorite
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DJones For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2017, 09:32 AM   #122
BigFlameDog
First Line Centre

Exp:

I am a fan of this bump
Old 10-12-2017, 09:34 AM   #123
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

A combination of playing with Hamonic and in front of Smith has let Brodie do Brodie things. He's been fantastic the past few games.

Everyone was atrocious in Edmonton.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:46 AM   #124
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Brodie is noticeably more aggressive on offense: Hamonic, Gaudreau and Smith seem to be the wind beneath his wings. Gaudreau's chemistry with Brodie has been reminiscent of his chemistry with Widemen (back when that was a thing), wouldn't surprise me if Brodie breaks 50 points this year.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:01 AM   #125
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Let's Talk About: T.J. Brodie

Amazing what a difference it makes when he’s not carrying Engelland or Wideman around on his back.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:20 AM   #126
Phaneufenstein
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Brodie has been good offensively but he can still improve his defensive game IMO.
Noticing a lot of players walking around him to start the season.

He might have a bit of PTSD after the Edmonton game because he seems a little tentative with his gap control.

He's been awesome in other aspects of the game, so props are well-deserved.
Phaneufenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Phaneufenstein For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2017, 12:18 PM   #127
Cgycowboy
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Maybe he is the top end RW we so desperately need. LOL. All jokes he is playing the best that I have ever seen him play
Cgycowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 02:19 PM   #128
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
He is good. He's steadily improved for 2-3 years now. He will be our top pairing puck-moving d-man soon (once J-Bo is shipped out). This is how you develop a prospect.
I feel good about my assessment way back when. Even though we've added a lot of talent around Brodie, he is basically the top ice-time defenseman and clearly he can move the puck well.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 02:26 PM   #129
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually think he has played poorly this season except for the Jets game.
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 02:32 PM   #130
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertGQ View Post
I actually think he has played poorly this season except for the Jets game.
He's played terrific except for the Oilers game.
JFK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JFK For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2017, 02:34 PM   #131
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Brodie is playing much better than last year. His skating is sublime and he's just dancing on his edges once again.

Something I've noticed not just from Brodie's pairing but from all the pairings is they're giving a huge gap and subsequently giving up the blueline too easily. I think this is a partial reason for why there are high-ish shot totals against.

Last year Gulutzan had the defencemen try and kill plays right at, or just inside the blueline when the attack came down the wings. This year they haven't been doing it as much. You will notice that when the attack comes down the wing both defencemen shift over to that side - this is different then how Hartley had them play. Hartley had both d kind of stay in lanes and protect the middle of the ice. Gulutzan describes this in a youtube video about his coaching philosophy.

I listened to Loubardias saying this could be a hangover effect from 97's game against them. He said the same thing happened to a few guys last year as well and it affected the team for a while. Who knows? Could be.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Lebowski For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2017, 02:42 PM   #132
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Brodie is playing much better than last year. His skating is sublime and he's just dancing on his edges once again.

Something I've noticed not just from Brodie's pairing but from all the pairings is they're giving a huge gap and subsequently giving up the blueline too easily. I think this is a partial reason for why there are high-ish shot totals against.

Last year Gulutzan had the defencemen try and kill plays right at, or just inside the blueline when the attack came down the wings. This year they haven't been doing it as much. You will notice that when the attack comes down the wing both defencemen shift over to that side - this is different then how Hartley had them play. Hartley had both d kind of stay in lanes and protect the middle of the ice. Gulutzan describes this in a youtube video about his coaching philosophy.

I listened to Loubardias saying this could be a hangover effect from 97's game against them. He said the same thing happened to a few guys last year as well and it affected the team for a while. Who knows? Could be.
This is exactly what I was thinking reading your assessment. I guarantee that they are second guessing themselves after he torched them a few times, Brodie especially.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 04:06 PM   #133
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brodie looks pretty good. I think he will stay up with the Flames and Sarich won't take his spot. I think he can outperform Chris Butler for sure.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Geeoff For This Useful Post: