Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2017, 10:56 PM   #81
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, celebrity death don't generally leave a big mark on this but Tom's music has been a staple in my life for as long as I can remember. Also sucks that we probably get less Mike Campbell now too.
rubecube is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2017, 10:57 PM   #82
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I am not normally a huge music fan, but when one of his songs came on I listened. Partly because a few of his songs trigger memories. I just spent a good chunk of time listen and watching his videos.
Robbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 11:41 PM   #83
Knut

Exp:

His songs were just so damn listenable. No one ever said "not this song again" when Tom Petty came on the radio.
Knut is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2017, 07:53 AM   #84
The Goon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Rolling Stone has a good, comprehensive list of his 50 greatest songs:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/li...-songs-w506653
We may curse our bad luck that it's sounds like its; who's sounds like whose; they're sounds like their (and there); and you're sounds like your. But if we are grown-ups who have been through full-time education, we have no excuse for muddling them up.
The Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Goon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2017, 07:56 AM   #85
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:01 AM   #86
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Truly sad that he's nothing but a ticker mention on the news outlets during all this nightmare in the states (not saying that LV doesn't deserve or require attention/coverage its just sad to see a music career like Tom's get overshadowed by something so bad). This guy was amazing - he songs were beautiful and his heart was too. Gonna miss you big time Tom ~ thanks for your continued inspiration to fans and musicians everywhere.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:07 AM   #87
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
His songs were just so damn listenable. No one ever said "not this song again" when Tom Petty came on the radio.
I would also argue that when one of his songs comes on in the background the majority of people will say "Man I love this song"

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2017, 09:37 AM   #88
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I would also argue that when one of his songs comes on in the background the majority of people will say "Man I love this song"
I can't think of anything else that could get an entire party full of singing along than throwing on a Tom Petty classic.
rubecube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 12:39 PM   #89
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

I put on a Petty playlist on the way to the kid's hockey practice last night and was delighted to hear that he liked it a lot. "Play me some more of this guy, Dad."

Not even a week ago, I was talking music with a neighbour. I brought up Petty's name as a guy who I really would like to see live. No idea why I never did get a ticket to any of his shows. Crap.

Thanks for the music, Tom. Your legacy will live on in all of our ears.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2017, 12:46 PM   #90
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goon View Post
Rolling Stone has a good, comprehensive list of his 50 greatest songs:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/li...-songs-w506653
good list, hard to argue with the top 3, just heard the most amazing live version of Don't come around here no more on my drive in this morning

anyways that list from ~1-17 shows a pretty strong front end of a catalogue for any artist
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to looooob For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2017, 05:10 PM   #91
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Dude just dripped rock n roll. This has been on my mind all day and have listened to about 20 songs thus far.

Legend.

Quote:
Oh my my, oh hell yes
Honey put on that party dress
Buy me a drink, sing me a song,
Take me as I come 'cause I can't stay long.
Old 10-03-2017, 05:15 PM   #92
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Dude just dripped rock n roll. This has been on my mind all day and have listened to about 20 songs thus far.

Legend.
have been listening to Tom Petty radio (satellite) driving around, a lot of talk about Petty including amazing people just phoning in (John Fogerty earlier as one example but many others) interspersed with just amazing tunes. so many of them are great driving songs- sadly my last hour was in bumper to bumper traffic
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 05:19 PM   #93
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

This is a powerful performance of Breakdown. The crowd is great too and you can tell he fed off it.

DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2017, 10:52 AM   #94
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I realize that most people remember him for his 70's, 80's and 90's stuff but Hypnotic Eye is a pretty good album in itself. Anyone that hasn't checked it out should give it a few listens.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 10-05-2017 at 10:54 AM.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2017, 05:19 PM   #95
Mightyfire89
And I Don't Care...

Exp:

Big Tom Petty fan. This affected me far more than I would have thought. I was very saddened to hear of his death. Nobody and I mean nobody was as consistently good for as long as he was. 40+ years of awesome music.

I've been listening to nothing but Tom Petty radio on Sirius/Xm since I heard that he passed and the thing that stands out to me most is just how many fantastic songs he was responsible for.

One of the greatest singer/songwriters in history. A true gem.

RIP Tom.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:19 PM   #96
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 01-20-2018, 08:55 PM   #97
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

It’s so tragic yet not unexpected. So many musicians have passed away in recent years due to opiod overdoses. Prince had hip problems and surgery as well which started his opioid problem.

For these guys who are performing on stage and still touring into their 50s, it’s not surprising that painkillers are a major factor in their lives.

I was recently into the Travelling Wilburys a lot. Amazing how fresh faced and young Tom Petty looks compared to the rest of them and now Petty, Harrison, and Orbison are all gone.

Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2018, 02:43 PM   #98
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
It’s so tragic yet not unexpected. So many musicians have passed away in recent years due to opiod overdoses. Prince had hip problems and surgery as well which started his opioid problem.
The strength of Opiods has increased substantially. It's really a huge problem, not just for celebrities. The medical industry, which loved to get people hooked on opiods, and have life long clients, really pushed them for a long time. It's much harder to get any kind of opioid prescription now (at least in Canada), but a lot of the damage has already been done.

Very sad. Tom Petty seemed to grow more into his music every year. He would have had a lot more time to make some great contributions. I'm really glad I got the chance to see both him and Prince live when I did.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 03:16 PM   #99
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
The strength of Opiods has increased substantially. It's really a huge problem, not just for celebrities. The medical industry, which loved to get people hooked on opiods, and have life long clients, really pushed them for a long time. It's much harder to get any kind of opioid prescription now (at least in Canada), but a lot of the damage has already been done.

Very sad. Tom Petty seemed to grow more into his music every year. He would have had a lot more time to make some great contributions. I'm really glad I got the chance to see both him and Prince live when I did.
Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised (and slightly frustrated at the time lol) how much it has changed in Canada.

Injury 7 years ago - "Could I get Percocet refill?" "Yep, how many do you want?"

Injury 2 years ago - "Here's enough to withstand the pain for the next week when it will be at it's worst, that's all this is for, there will be no refills, we will move on to strong tylonal from there".

No doubt that was directive from higher up to stop handing out additive prescriptions pills like candy.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 03:17 PM   #100
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I'd be interested how much of public perception that Canada still hands out addictive perspiration pills like candy is current reality vs people just hearing it years ago and the narrative doesn't change right away?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post: