Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2020, 03:06 PM   #41
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2macinnis2 View Post
As a life long hockey fan, truthfully I have watched as little hockey this season as I can remember since the advent of Center Ice. I think the product stinks. The irony is the Flames are in the middle of a tight playoff race and if they make it, heck with how ridiculous the game has become they could legitimately go on a run in playoffs.

It wouldn't change (actually would reinforce) my opinion that these games go about as random now as throwing darts. It's silly.
I actually agree with a lot of what you said, but dude, this is a happy thread about a crazy once in our lifetimes event. It’s not the time or place for the discussion you want to have.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikephoen For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2020, 03:11 PM   #42
Chingas
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
I agree this was bush league and that the NHL needs to address.

This is not some sort of Make-a-Wish thing.

Imagine what the teams chasing the Leafs in the standings were thinking. They were lucky this time.
This happens so rarely that it doesn't even warrant addressing imo. How would you suggest that the NHL addresses it? I am at a total loss as why this is such an issue on the heels of a win by an emergency backup. If the guy let in 10 goals in the third then it might more pertinent, even so they rarely play and when they do it's rarely more than a few minutes.

This is a good love of the game story. I will choose to enjoy it.
Old 02-23-2020, 03:40 PM   #43
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:

Imagine what the teams chasing the Leafs in the standings were thinking. They were lucky this time.
The fact that this so rarely happens is what makes this so special. Fans will talking about this game years down the road. Just think of all the free publicity the NHL gets from this incident and the chance to grow it's fan base.

Just enjoy it for what it is.
Old 02-23-2020, 03:47 PM   #44
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Are you guys saying wasting a goalies development by having him in the stands for every game, hoping he’s on one of the 32 teams that needs to use an emergency goalie once this half decade, isn’t a viable option to avoid these great stories in the future?
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2020, 03:53 PM   #45
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's a lot of talk about zamboni driver David Ayres getting a once-in-a-lifetime win, but I don't think we've seen the last of him in the NHL.

I could definitely see him resurfacing again someday.

from r/hockey
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2020, 04:02 PM   #46
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

so bush league the guy shut the leafs out in the 3rd and brought home the win?
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 05:44 PM   #47
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

What if in a playoff game a guy had to come in for the visitors and lost, maybe a game 7?

Anyway, great story for this guy.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 06:00 PM   #48
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great story. Having to put a non professional goalie in a professional game is not ideal but sure beats the alternatives of playing with 6 skaters, putting the pads on one of your defencemen, making teams carry a 3rd goalie, or postponing the game.

Carolina shutting down the Leafs with Ayers in net does add to the argument that GAA and SV% are meaningless goalie stats that are more dependant on team defence than goalie ability.
Old 02-23-2020, 06:04 PM   #49
Tiger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
What if in a playoff game a guy had to come in for the visitors and lost, maybe a game 7?

Anyway, great story for this guy.
you have Black Ace's in the playoffs. you don't have to use the EBUG, you can dress another.
Old 02-23-2020, 07:03 PM   #50
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't even think either of the goals against were that bad.

First one was a freak play where one defender gets hurt, so Tavares is left alone to fire it through another defender. Most NHL goalies make the stop more often than not, but it's an NHL calibre 'bad goal' (and just an awful situation to first shot attempt...you could tell he didn't see it at all).

Don't remember the exact sequence of the second, but pinball puck that he can't recover for fast enough (not sure if it was his rebound or not?)...looked a lot like a typical NHL goal (though probably still a bad one).

I will say that the Leafs were being sportsmen - non-typical goal celebrations. It seems they may have put the cart before the horse and were trying to avoid an embarrassing situation, but that is inexcusable until you have a 2 goal lead. I understood Keefe not pulling the goalie as early as normal on a 3 goal deficit, but it was hilarious that they were never able to get him out at all in the last 2-3 mins.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 07:09 PM   #51
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingas View Post
This happens so rarely that it doesn't even warrant addressing imo. How would you suggest that the NHL addresses it? I am at a total loss as why this is such an issue on the heels of a win by an emergency backup. If the guy let in 10 goals in the third then it might more pertinent, even so they rarely play and when they do it's rarely more than a few minutes.

This is a good love of the game story. I will choose to enjoy it.
I think a standard age, minimum level played, and how recently they played is a good start.

For example: must be between the ages of 22 and 35 and must have played at least Jr A. or higher in the last 3 years. Something like that.

Loved the story but I think the debate as to the quality of emergency goaltenders is legitimate.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2020, 07:30 PM   #52
Chingas
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
I think a standard age, minimum level played, and how recently they played is a good start.

For example: must be between the ages of 22 and 35 and must have played at least Jr A. or higher in the last 3 years. Something like that.

Loved the story but I think the debate as to the quality of emergency goaltenders is legitimate.
This is all fine and a reasonable response thanks. That being said Aire has been doing this for a couple of seasons and practices with the Leafs sometimes. Do you think that any team in the NHL would have someone who was a terrible goalie as the emergency backup? I am comfortable that the teams can and are managing this themselves to an acceptable level. After all it could have been the Leafs that needed him instead and I doubt that they would have a total hack on stand by.
Old 02-23-2020, 07:52 PM   #53
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t understand all this need to address this stuff. You don’t need to make rules / policies to completely protect against the most remote scenarios.

Having to grab some random to actually play significant minutes happens so infrequently and it happening like this in a meaningful playoff run game hasn’t happened in so long that I can’t even think of the last time it happened. We don’t need to change anything because once every 20 years some team in a playoff rub or game might get a lucky break.

That kind of thinking is why we have to endure painful offside challenges now and turn back goals all the time that were meaningless amounts offside with 0 impact on the play because once in the last 50 years a linesman blew an offside call super badly in a playoff game so they decided to invent a bunch of crappy new rules because of it.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cleveland Steam Whistle For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2020, 07:58 PM   #54
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
There's a lot of talk about zamboni driver David Ayres getting a once-in-a-lifetime win, but I don't think we've seen the last of him in the NHL.

I could definitely see him resurfacing again someday.

from r/hockey

Word is the Leafs were a bit upset as he got the W over them, and is employed by their farm team. He was reportedly able to smooth things over
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2020, 08:13 PM   #55
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

I wonder if Ayers has gotten any invites from the late night talk shows in the States.
Old 02-23-2020, 08:38 PM   #56
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Are they paying the goalies to sit there and be ready? I don't think they are. You probably take who you can get as its a big commitment. I sure as hell wouldn't want to commit 42 of my nights.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 08:40 PM   #57
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

It's a shame that Ayers wasn't wearing the #67. Canes could has used to take a shot at the Leafs and their futility record on not winning the Cup.
Old 02-23-2020, 08:43 PM   #58
jroc
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Being that this game was in Toronto, ya, they could have hit those perimeters, but what if it it was in Carolina, Florida, Tampa etc? David Ayers would likely be better than those markets would have on deck.
jroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 08:50 PM   #59
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Miami. Tampa. Glendale. Dallas. Raleigh. Nashville. etc.

While there may be a few people in/around each of these cities who meet those requirements, are they willing to show up 41 nights a year?

Maybe plan c should just be a shooter tutor?
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 09:30 PM   #60
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:

Haven’t both EBUGs won? Doesn’t that mean the system works?

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
iwannadrivethezamboni , livingthedream , ohblackbettyzamboni , zamboner