Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2020, 05:29 PM   #661
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Looks like Delicious Thai closed as well. That place started off really strong but got weaker as time went on. Also a lot more good Thai places have opened up since it came around so it was easier to find a good source.

Still sad though.
Someone on our Sunnyside facebook group said they were only closed for renos, so maybe they will be back. Also a Mexican street food place going into the Burger 320 spot on 10th street and Anejo is going into the Vietnamese restaurant space below the Hexagon Board Game cafe on Kensington Road.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2020, 05:35 PM   #662
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Someone on our Sunnyside facebook group said they were only closed for renos, so maybe they will be back. Also a Mexican street food place going into the Burger 320 spot on 10th street and Anejo is going into the Vietnamese restaurant space below the Hexagon Board Game cafe on Kensington Road.
Bienvenido a Kensington

I've been sad since El Charrito left. Maybe the street food place will have tortas and I can get my fix again.

As for Delicious Thai, I just saw that it looked closed and that a google search said "Permanently Closed". Good news if it's just renos. They should come back with Isaan hot pot or mu kratha and make themselves unique in the Calgary Thai food scene.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2020, 08:54 AM   #663
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Bodega on 10th st. has tortas and mexican street food.

https://www.skipthedishes.com/bodega-10th
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 09:17 AM   #664
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Bodega on 10th st. has tortas and mexican street food.

https://www.skipthedishes.com/bodega-10th
Nice. I could have sworn they didn't when I checked them after it switched to Bodega. I've wasted all these years.
Old 01-15-2020, 09:51 AM   #665
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Had no idea Midtown had closed for renovations after Christmas, they are open as of yesterday evening.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 09:56 AM   #666
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Had no idea Midtown had closed for renovations after Christmas, they are open as of yesterday evening.
Never been a huge fan of that place. I find the food 'OK" but nothing to get too excited about? Maybe I've had the wrong things on the menu though?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 10:13 AM   #667
Insufficient Funds
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Never been a huge fan of that place. I find the food 'OK" but nothing to get too excited about? Maybe I've had the wrong things on the menu though?
I think your accurate with the food being OK. I've eaten there numerous times and I think it really depends on the cook(s) that day. There seems to be a B squad sometimes. They have recently (a couple of months ago) revised their menu and I'd say it's better than before.

They do a good job with their local beers on tap. Lots of ever revolving options.
Insufficient Funds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 10:39 AM   #668
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Perfectly accurate. Decent beer list, never had a bad meal, it’s not dingy, decent specials. It’s comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2020, 01:29 PM   #669
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well Free House is open and I must not be the target audience. I think the menu is terrible, and the food was just plain not good. I think it's over-priced and I doubt I'd go back for a meal. I don't think that the Kensington Pub has anything to worry about after that experience.

It just doesn't seem that hard to me? Does anyone who puts these menus together actually have the food prepared and give it a dry-run before they open the doors are am I just naive on how these things go?
Old 01-16-2020, 02:04 PM   #670
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Well Free House is open and I must not be the target audience. I think the menu is terrible, and the food was just plain not good. I think it's over-priced and I doubt I'd go back for a meal. I don't think that the Kensington Pub has anything to worry about after that experience.

It just doesn't seem that hard to me? Does anyone who puts these menus together actually have the food prepared and give it a dry-run before they open the doors are am I just naive on how these things go?
Who knows. It's like Brewsters - there are maybe half a dozen of them in the city and the food is fataing terrible. Like literally everything on the menu is worse than average and costs 20% more than anywhere else. The beer is awful, too. Best beer there is Budweiser because anything they brew themselves is undrinkable. I don't get how they can't come up with a good burger and some good fries. Plus they gack creme fresh all over everything they make - eww. And if you get nachos they give you a tablespoon of salsa and charge you for the extra you'll inevitably need since you've eaten it all after your first three chips.

The wings are fine, though (if you get them extra crispy).
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 02:12 PM   #671
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Who knows. It's like Brewsters - there are maybe half a dozen of them in the city and the food is fataing terrible. Like literally everything on the menu is worse than average and costs 20% more than anywhere else. The beer is awful, too. Best beer there is Budweiser because anything they brew themselves is undrinkable. I don't get how they can't come up with a good burger and some good fries. Plus they gack creme fresh all over everything they make - eww. And if you get nachos they give you a tablespoon of salsa and charge you for the extra you'll inevitably need since you've eaten it all after your first three chips.

Old 01-16-2020, 02:26 PM   #672
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post

Well that is bad enough, but my issue starts with the menu. It's this trend where I suppose everyone is a foodie and you can't have a normal menu. I ended up with a spicy chicken sandwich and it was a mess, both literally and figuratively. Like the coleslaw on the sandwich was like soup, the spice from spoonfuls of their sauce and it just drizzled out all over when you tried to eat it. The actual chicken was perhaps a chicken thigh (?) which was really fatty and just not great. I couldn't bring myself to eat it all, although understandably some people might like/enjoy that kind of thing.

And maybe this belongs in the gear-grinder thread, but can a menu just explain what the dish is? Why are we seeing the ridiculous one word comment about the ingredients? Like I say...I'm just not the target audience for these kinds of things and I just wish them well.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2020, 02:34 PM   #673
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Well that is bad enough, but my issue starts with the menu. It's this trend where I suppose everyone is a foodie and you can't have a normal menu. I ended up with a spicy chicken sandwich and it was a mess, both literally and figuratively. Like the coleslaw on the sandwich was like soup, the spice from spoonfuls of their sauce and it just drizzled out all over when you tried to eat it. The actual chicken was perhaps a chicken thigh (?) which was really fatty and just not great. I couldn't bring myself to eat it all, although understandably some people might like/enjoy that kind of thing.

And maybe this belongs in the gear-grinder thread, but can a menu just explain what the dish is? Why are we seeing the ridiculous one word comment about the ingredients? Like I say...I'm just not the target audience for these kinds of things and I just wish them well.
Okay, I hear you.

Not ragging on that restaurant, either, but I know what you're talking about in general terms and I hate that crap, too. Like, just give me an all-beef burger with basic toppings, some fries that are just a sliced up potato and a mud pie dessert. I'd love to go dining at pubs in the 90s again. They had perfected good pub food. Now it's all with the silliness and out-dorking each other and it drives me nuts. Get back to basics.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2020, 02:34 PM   #674
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This belongs everywhere.

Thank you for forcing me to google some obscure regional cheese from Italy to understand what's in my meal you pretentious wankers.
Old 01-16-2020, 02:52 PM   #675
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just took a look at their menu, I see what you are saying:

https://freehouseyyc.com/menu/

Quote:
Brussels Sprouts

13 cheddar cheese, boar bacon, hazelnut
It's under the "plates" section. Is that a meal? Does it come with something else? Does the burger come with fries?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 02:55 PM   #676
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

that duck sandwich legit sounds good though.
Old 01-16-2020, 02:58 PM   #677
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
that duck sandwich legit sounds good though.
You're just assuming it's a sandwich, it's not even in the "toast" section! It could be a deconstructed Dlt, absent bread. Maybe it's gluten free.

All menus should have pictures.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 03:04 PM   #678
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's in the Plates section. Maybe it's all of those ingredients compressed between two plates until it congeals into some pseudo terrine.

God, that sounds more delicious.
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2020, 03:07 PM   #679
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mmmmm, craving me some $15 Bone Marrow with chimmi churri.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 03:10 PM   #680
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Mmmmm, craving me some $15 Bone Marrow with chimmi churri.
But only if it's served on a hubcap.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post: