Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2024, 08:07 PM   #21
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
He’s from Ottawa isn’t he?
Tanev is from Toronto. Weegar is from Ottawa.
Old 01-28-2024, 12:14 AM   #22
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

13 games between now and the deadline. No one needs to see any more film on Tanev, I wouldn’t mind if the Flames made a business decision and didn’t play him again until he’s dealt.

Watch the waiver wire for a potential vet who can play some minutes.

He played over 24 minutes tonight and that’s a disaster waiting to happen.

Hanifin played 27 minutes but he has been durable.

Pretty scary to imagine the backend without either of those two.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2024, 12:17 AM   #23
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like a Flames leak to drive up the price.
jar_e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jar_e For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2024, 12:28 AM   #24
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
How come people think dubois is so toxic when chycrun is nearly identical? 🤔
Dubois was bellyaching about Columbus and then bellyaching about Winnipeg. Then he got sent over here, gets paid big money, and 40 games in Drew Doughty is already calling him out to reporters.

Has Chychrun ever complained about anything?
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to butterfly For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2024, 02:37 AM   #25
traptor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

It just sounds like they're interested in him, probably as a UFA target in the offseason and not as a trade deadline target.
traptor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 04:58 AM   #26
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
Dubois was bellyaching about Columbus and then bellyaching about Winnipeg. Then he got sent over here, gets paid big money, and 40 games in Drew Doughty is already calling him out to reporters.

Has Chychrun ever complained about anything?
I agree, I don't think Chychrun has that kind of reputation, as least not that I've heard of. I would love to have him, but doesn't really fit in with a rebuild move, as he'll be 26 in March...
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 07:45 AM   #27
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why would Ottawa want him?
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 08:07 AM   #28
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
I agree, I don't think Chychrun has that kind of reputation, as least not that I've heard of. I would love to have him, but doesn't really fit in with a rebuild move, as he'll be 26 in March...
not sure I agree. He's a year younger than Hanifin, I think he'd have prime years left when the Flames could realistically be back on the upswing. Having Weegar, Andersson and Chychrun as minute-eating defensemen wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 08:41 AM   #29
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

The problem with Chychrun is the acquisition cost would effectively be the returns for Tanev and Hanifin. So there goes the idea of restocking the organization with home grown players.

So yeah, that may make perfect sense for Conroy given what we’re led to believe by some media personalities - but it would 100% be the wrong thing to do. This organization needs to be patient.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2024, 09:51 AM   #30
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
Why would Ottawa want him?
Why not,

trade and then resign, if it occurred

Tanev would be perfect for a team like the Senators.
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 09:56 AM   #31
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post
My interpretation from that Friedman take is they will heavily target him in the offseason. I can’t see them trading for a rental. If they did… definitely would not be for their first round pick… if they were determined to get some gel going with their players this season so they can hit the ground running next year, maybe they would trade their 2nd round pick for tanev - which would be a good deal for the flames I think because the 2nd round pick could end up being a very high 2nd round pick in the 35th to 40th overall range.

I think it was Friedman also saying a couple weeks ago that the Senators management are determined to get veteran leadership into the room to get their young players to learn from guys who “play the right way”. That has made me wonder if Coleman would be a target for them as well. I wonder if Tanev + Coleman + Calgary’s 2nd round pick could return Detroit’s first round pick (which Ottawa has). That would be a really interesting deal. Probably favours the flames a bit too much though considering how old Coleman is and how long he is signed for.

Tanev and Coleman to move up 20 odd spots? That does not favour the Flames at all. You make Coleman sound like a salary dump.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 10:23 AM   #32
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

was going to say Ottawa doesn't really have that many interesting pieces for a team like the Flames, given that their last two draft classes look pretty meh. But they have an extra (late) 1st this year from Boston, so ... maybe we could get either that one or their 2nd in a deal for Tanev with an extension?! I'd happily take that.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 10:41 AM   #33
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flambers View Post
Why not,

trade and then resign, if it occurred

Tanev would be perfect for a team like the Senators.
They are in the same boat as the Flames, no need to spend assets right now
They can sign him in the summer if he really wants to be there

If he is going to Ottawa, it would be for a mid round pick, no more. There is no urgent need
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 10:52 AM   #34
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, sounds like Friedman carrying the water for Staios a bit here.

Ottawa wants him for the same leadership and calming influence-reasons we would want to keep him. IMO he and Coleman are the captains of this team, by a mile.

If Tanev is more than open to stay here (and haven't heard he wants out) you have to be floored by an offer.

I think Tanev will still fetch similar returns next year, so if you don't get the premium this year and he wants to stay, you re sign him trade deadline day, to another season...he's worth more to development of some young players than a 4th round magic bean from Ottawa, when you could get similar or better than that for him a year from now.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 10:59 AM   #35
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan05 View Post
They are in the same boat as the Flames, no need to spend assets right now
They can sign him in the summer if he really wants to be there

If he is going to Ottawa, it would be for a mid round pick, no more. There is no urgent need
Sorry I don't agree, Ottawa has been in the rebuild stage for many years.

Flames have not yet started their "retool"

Senators are now viewing themselves are ready to take the next step (i.e. they are buyers, adding players like Giroux, Tarasenko, etc.)
Old 01-28-2024, 11:00 AM   #36
Eric Vail
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post

Ottawa wants him for the same leadership and calming influence-reasons we would want to keep him. IMO he and Coleman are the captains of this team, by a mile.

If Tanev is more than open to stay here (and haven't heard he wants out) you have to be floored by an offer.

I think Tanev will still fetch similar returns next year, so if you don't get the premium this year and he wants to stay, you re sign him trade deadline day, to another season...he's worth more to development of some young players than a 4th round magic bean from Ottawa, when you could get similar or better than that for him a year from now.
I can't see Tanev wanting to sign a one year deal. Everyone knows his injury history, including him. He will want a multi-year deal to protect himself against major injury. He is 34, but still playing well. This will likely be his last contract. Someone will give him 2-3 years.
Eric Vail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 11:02 AM   #37
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post

Unless Conroy is aware, Tanev does not want to resign....
Old 01-28-2024, 11:07 AM   #38
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flambers View Post
Unless Conroy is aware, Tanev does not want to resign....
Still too young to resign, he's only 34.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2024, 11:15 AM   #39
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

For a first in the lottery sure, he's all yours.

Probably just rumoured to be the Sens to piss off the Leafs, Leaf fans, and Treliving. Pay up Tre, two firsts, Minten and a second and he's yours or he's going to your neighbour.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 11:31 AM   #40
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
was going to say Ottawa doesn't really have that many interesting pieces for a team like the Flames, given that their last two draft classes look pretty meh. But they have an extra (late) 1st this year from Boston, so ... maybe we could get either that one or their 2nd in a deal for Tanev with an extension?! I'd happily take that.
I think that the Sens have several good pieces, that the Flames would be interested in:

* Ridly Greig, 21, Alberta boy. If the Flames are looking for skill and grit, and more of the element that Pospisil brings then he's their guy.

* Shane Pinto, 23. Great shot, good skater, has size but doesn't use it much(yet?). Middle 6 RW that should take a top 6 role. Already scored 20 goals in the NHL.

* Jacob Bernard-Docker, 23, Alberta boy. I think of him turning into a similar D to Brodie. Smooth skater, decent defensively, he can make some good passes, but won't run a PP. I see a top 4D, and a decent replacement for Tanev in the near future.

* Zach Ostapchuk, 20, Alberta boy. I see him as a potential two way 3rd line C/W that has another gear in the playoffs. He's fast, hard on pucks, and has a physical edge.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gvitaly For This Useful Post: