Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2019, 11:32 AM   #1141
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

That is brilliant stuff!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 08:20 AM   #1142
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I found a glorious book at my parents house over the weekend from 1991 called The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Don't do Drugs (A rap song). Below are a few snippets of comedy gold.....

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2019, 08:46 AM   #1143
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

And here I thought the Ninja Turtles were largely a Drug-Induced Hallucination...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 03-04-2019, 10:49 AM   #1144
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 03-04-2019, 02:14 PM   #1145
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
I found a glorious book at my parents house over the weekend from 1991 called The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Don't do Drugs (A rap song). Below are a few snippets of comedy gold.....

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!
Lol. Does a small child's book really need to specifically reference angel dust and smack?
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2019, 08:09 AM   #1146
Duruss
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Lol. Does a small child's book really need to specifically reference angel dust and smack?
I think thats an artifact of the era. The Just Say No campaign and late 80's boomer parent's drug hysteria of that time all led to that excess. Its pretty hilarious when viewed that way.
Duruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 08:28 AM   #1147
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spoiler!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 08:52 AM   #1148
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Whatever happened to the Black Adam movie that Dwayne Johnson was going to star in? Has that been shelved?
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 11:08 AM   #1149
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Whatever happened to the Black Adam movie that Dwayne Johnson was going to star in? Has that been shelved?
They're probably waiting to see how Shazam does. I wouldn't be surprised if we see Black Adam at the end of this one.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 11:17 AM   #1150
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

CM reviews starting to roll in:

https://www.metacritic.com/movie/captain-marvel?ref=hp

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/captain_marvel
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 09:34 PM   #1151
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Idris Elba is going to replace Will Smith as Deadshot in Suicide Squad 2. Nice hire, wanted Smith back but Elba is a great replacement.
Old 03-07-2019, 08:09 AM   #1152
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

I have been enjoying Doom Patrol much more than Titans. There's a lot more humor in it and Brendan Fraser has been great as Robotman
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 08:36 AM   #1153
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
The consensus seems to be that it's a pretty good, entertaining but ultimately a bit soulless origin story in the mold of many that have come before it. I'm still gonna go see it in Imax, but that's kind of a shame if so... you'd think they'd have the origin movie down to a science by this point.

This review excerpt is pretty much what I was worried about:
Quote:
Captain Marvel effectively makes feminism a target, a goal to be achieved in ways that feel more self-congratulatory than progressive.
Stop ####ing doing this crap and just make a good movie. Hopefully this is overblown and the political undertones aren't too distracting.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 08:41 AM   #1154
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1103524417190092800
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 08:47 AM   #1155
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Idris Elba is going to replace Will Smith as Deadshot in Suicide Squad 2. Nice hire, wanted Smith back but Elba is a great replacement.
Oh no....I really like Idris Elba, I dont want to see him ruin his career by being attached to Suicide Squad...

Old 03-07-2019, 08:48 AM   #1156
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Oh no....I really like Idris Elba, I dont want to see him ruin his career by being attached to Suicide Squad...
Yeah... like Margot Robbie's career got destroyed by being Harley..
Old 03-07-2019, 09:22 AM   #1157
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1103662254627659777
Old 03-07-2019, 09:49 AM   #1158
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
The consensus seems to be that it's a pretty good, entertaining but ultimately a bit soulless origin story in the mold of many that have come before it. I'm still gonna go see it in Imax, but that's kind of a shame if so... you'd think they'd have the origin movie down to a science by this point.

This review excerpt is pretty much what I was worried about:

Stop ####ing doing this crap and just make a good movie. Hopefully this is overblown and the political undertones aren't too distracting.
I'm less concerned. I think that critics feel required to comment on it because of the narrative surrounding the initial troll reaction to Larson's out of context comments. So would people be noticing and commenting on these things if they aren't coming to it from the mindset of evaluating this movie on how it expresses feminist values.

I'm sure you could write thesis on the expression of masculinity in every comic book movie ever however reviewers don't because they just watch a fun comic book movie. So if you go in wanting to evaluate how this movie treats feminism in a 90s throw back and how that reflects on the current Post MeToo environment I'm sure you will be able to ruin your experience.

I'm more concerned that origin stories are generally poorly done. I much preferred the Black Panther model where a quick origin was done in Civil War and then Black Panther was a movie about a Villain rather than an origin story.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 10:00 AM   #1159
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I'm less concerned. I think that critics feel required to comment on it because of the narrative surrounding the initial troll reaction to Larson's out of context comments. So would people be noticing and commenting on these things if they aren't coming to it from the mindset of evaluating this movie on how it expresses feminist values.

I'm sure you could write thesis on the expression of masculinity in every comic book movie ever however reviewers don't because they just watch a fun comic book movie. So if you go in wanting to evaluate how this movie treats feminism in a 90s throw back and how that reflects on the current Post MeToo environment I'm sure you will be able to ruin your experience.

I'm more concerned that origin stories are generally poorly done. I much preferred the Black Panther model where a quick origin was done in Civil War and then Black Panther was a movie about a Villain rather than an origin story.
I've heard that CM may actually suffer from this quite a bit unfortunately. Another major criticism is that the tone of the movie is fractured and the action pieces aren't especially great to look at.

I'll probably see this movie at lunch on Friday. I was really looking forward to further exploration of the cosmic aspects of the MCU and world building surrounding the Kree and Skrulls. I'm hoping there's still a substantial element of that in here.

After movies like Black Panther and Aquaman both mastered the introduction of new side worlds, Captain Marvel has some really tough acts to follow. I 100% agree though, that we did not need another origin superhero movie that cumulates in some kind of boss battle no one cares about.

I also hope that Marvel hasn't already given CM an overly major role in Infinity War 2.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 11:11 AM   #1160
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty harsh criticism from Stuckmann.

Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote