Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2021, 09:16 AM   #14521
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
I agree with the massive overpayment by Calgary point but if you look at the actual stats for both players you may be surprised. Of the 6 seasons Eichel has been in the NHL, Monahan has outscored or tied with him in 5 season.

Not such a hot take, IMHO
It will depend on health. Assuming both are healthy, unless Monny is playing with a premium set up guy he won't outscore Eichel.

Ad if he ends up in that Bermuda triangle referred to as Buffalo, I expect we may never hear from him again.
Old 06-29-2021, 09:20 AM   #14522
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Ive been saying this for months.

One phone call to his agent and him being an attractive piece to pick up....evaporates.

Though it would be really hard to just walk away from 7 M.
The guy who once walked away from the NHL to play in Russia?

He can endure a year in Seattle (or any other NHL city save Stinktown to the north).
The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2021, 09:29 AM   #14523
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyceman View Post
Maybe Gio can float retirement as an option to scare off the Kraken from selecting him.
Highly unlikely he walks away from $6.75 million for one year of playing in Seattle. He's a guy that had to fight and claw to make it to the league and I can't see him quitting like that and walking away from a year of a contract he worked hard to earn.
Old 06-29-2021, 09:37 AM   #14524
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Gio completely understands the business side of things. This team underachieved in the last 2 seasons and change is required. Gio is 38 and has one year left on his deal, Tanev and Hanifin have 3 and Andersson has 5 these are the guys they need to protect.

I think it is clear that the door is open for a return in 22/23 if Gio wants but based on where the team is and where it needs to go he has to be left unprotected. I think Gio is a smart and reasonable person who will understand this is the business side of things and the Flames would want to keep him if the situation was different.

You simply can’t protect a 38 year old with one year left over younger guys with cheaper cap hits and longer term
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2021, 09:39 AM   #14525
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gio can always come back to Calgary in a year if he wants to give it another go here. I think Seattle should take him and flip him to Toronto for Kerfoot, Dermott, and a 2nd @ 50% retention.
Old 06-29-2021, 09:47 AM   #14526
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Gio can always come back to Calgary in a year if he wants to give it another go here. I think Seattle should take him and flip him to Toronto for Kerfoot, Dermott, and a 2nd @ 50% retention.
We should flip him for that deal at 50% retention...Seattle takes one of the two or Kyllington and you call it a day.
Old 06-29-2021, 09:50 AM   #14527
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
The guy who once walked away from the NHL to play in Russia?

He can endure a year in Seattle (or any other NHL city save Stinktown to the north).
He walked way...to make more money.

That isnt the case here, he would be walking away from any payday at all. (if selected by Seattle but refusing to move)

Last edited by transplant99; 06-29-2021 at 09:52 AM.
Old 06-29-2021, 09:52 AM   #14528
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
Gio doesn't strike me as the guy to pull this kind of crap.
He's too honest and professional to do this, he likely knows he's exposed and figures he'll play out the last year of his contract for Seattle if picked and then come home to retire.
Its not crap if he doesnt want to move though, he is just being upfront.

Hardly a big deal.
Old 06-29-2021, 09:58 AM   #14529
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkflames View Post
We should flip him for that deal at 50% retention...Seattle takes one of the two or Kyllington and you call it a day.
That is a brutal deal for the Flames.

$3.375 in dead cap for a year
Kerfoot and his 3.5M for 2 more years (where does he fit on this team? New 4th line C?)
Does Dermott play ahead of Hanifin/Valimaki/Mackey/Kylington?
We still lose someone to Seattle

All for a 2nd round pick?

Rather they take Gio and free up the 6.75M in cap space
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2021, 10:06 AM   #14530
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Since when did Calgary win the Cap Space lottery?

So Calgary loses Gio plus valuable cap space?
Old 06-29-2021, 10:11 AM   #14531
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nah. We win by gaining 6.75m in cap space. If Gio wants to come back and play for us at a discounted rate in 2022 then by all means come back.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2021, 10:12 AM   #14532
Skyceman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
He's too honest and professional to do this, he likely knows he's exposed and figures he'll play out the last year of his contract for Seattle if picked and then come home to retire.
Its not crap.

Aside from money, which Gio has already earned a lot, what else is there for him in getting aquired?

If Gio does not want to chase a cup and retire a Flame, it is an option open to him to exercise.

And if the Kraken have doubts, it may force them to target a different asset they can flip.

Don’t forget this is also a game being played by both sides. Seattle may not even want Gio and will do everything in their power to see how much we will give them to not take him.
Old 06-29-2021, 10:21 AM   #14533
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Gio wouldn’t even have to move his family. Seattle’s close, it’s just for a year, there are plenty of off days.

I don’t even know if Gio intends on retiring or going to chase a cup somewhere, or make some more money, or if he planned on staying in Calgary post-retirement (versus returning home to Toronto).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2021, 10:26 AM   #14534
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He walked way...to make more money.

That isnt the case here, he would be walking away from any payday at all. (if selected by Seattle but refusing to move)
Well, aside from $6.75M. And the chance to prolong his career - if he has a good year he will be signed to a further one year somewhere - here, Toronto (who signs older vets on the regular), a cup contender.

He may also think Seattle will move him to a contender at the TDL
Old 06-29-2021, 10:28 AM   #14535
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

One team I could definitely see going after Gio either via expansion trade with Seattle or as a UFA next year is Pittsburgh. Burke LOVES Gio and I could see him wanting to add him to the Pens
Old 06-29-2021, 10:33 AM   #14536
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Problem with the Flames flipping Gio now is the other team will have to same expansion problem
Old 06-29-2021, 10:34 AM   #14537
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Nah. We win by gaining 6.75m in cap space. If Gio wants to come back and play for us at a discounted rate in 2022 then by all means come back.
To sign an overpaid vet through FA with?
Old 06-29-2021, 10:35 AM   #14538
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Seattle knows that Gio has too much left in the tank to retire now. They wouldn't buy it.
The guy was probably the best defenseman on the Flames this year. He'll hit 1000 games next season. It would be foolish to retire while still on this contract.
Old 06-29-2021, 10:39 AM   #14539
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
To sign an overpaid vet through FA with?
This is the way
Old 06-29-2021, 11:13 AM   #14540
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Posted this a week or two ago, but it's still very relevant:

Quote:
Gio's on the road nearly half the time during the season, so I doubt they'd relocate the family if he ended up in SEA. They can come visit him for a few home stretches, he can come home for Xmas and ASB, plus 2+ games in CGY.

No guarantee SEA takes Gio even if he's exposed. The impression is that they want to draft the min. possible salary and then extort more value in trades.

They need to draft 48.9M in AAV. Assuming 20 guys average around 1M, that means they need to draft a surplus of ~$29M.

Possibilities
Goalies (Quick, Allen, Holtby, Khudobin, etc.)

Voracek/JVR...

TBL: McDonagh/Cernak, or I wouldn't be surprised if they offered a Gourde+T Johnson package

COL: need to do something about their 4 D...you can probably pencil $4M+ from them (maybe they go 4-4 and expose Kadri or Donskoi)

MIN: Dumba/Hartman/Rask/Talbot - probably some $$$ one way or the other

MTL: Chiarot/Edmundson...maybe even Byron (or Jake Allen)

NAS: They might go 4-4 and maybe even expose a Duchene or Johansen. (Kunin, Arvidsson, Forsberg...)

PIT: McCann/Rust/Matheson

Other $$$$ D:
Risto/C Miller
Gio
Skjei/Gardiner or Bean (pending RFA...maybe CAR gets creative to try to keep him)
Zadorov/De Haan, though ELC Riley Stillman may be attractive

I suppose my point is that SEA won't have much trouble drafting that surplus $29M, especially with defensemen (lots of LD at that). It's hard to play out the scenario without knowing the actual protection lists, or knowing how coveted certain prospects might be on these teams that have established $$$ players.
Closed Thread