Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2018, 01:39 PM   #1
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Making the Switch

Putting it out there to the CP Braintrust to see if someone has done this before. I've been an iphone user for quite a few phones. I have a iMac as well as Apple TV. How difficult is it to make the switch from ios to Android? Has someone been through it recently? My phone is coming near the end of it's life and I'm having trouble stomaching the price tag for a new one (along with high bills, but that's a different story).

Any help from someone about the transition from ios to android while having a mac would be greatly appreciated.
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 04:34 PM   #2
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

For photos on your phone, I've found the easiest to be setup the Google Photos app on your iPhone. Way easier to transfer when you get the Android. I've started using Google Photos even just with the iPhone, as iCloud seems to be an abomination.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 04:43 PM   #3
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocoli View Post
Putting it out there to the CP Braintrust to see if someone has done this before. I've been an iphone user for quite a few phones. I have a iMac as well as Apple TV. How difficult is it to make the switch from ios to Android? Has someone been through it recently? My phone is coming near the end of it's life and I'm having trouble stomaching the price tag for a new one (along with high bills, but that's a different story).

Any help from someone about the transition from ios to android while having a mac would be greatly appreciated.
I just made the switch from an Iphone 5 to a galaxy 8.

It was actually easy to transfer data, you download and app and plug in a cord that comes with the phone.
It really took some time to get used to the interface, but I think that with time anyone could switch. I hated it at first, still do is some respects but oh well.

the brixby function sucks ass because it has its own button that if you accidentally press it ques it up. Its also really big, but I think all new phones are like that so what ever.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 04:47 PM   #4
PostandIn
First Line Centre

Exp:

What about retaining text conversations? Do you lose them when you switch platforms?
PostandIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 04:53 PM   #5
VictoryJuice
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I just switched from a Iphone 5S to a Samsung Galaxy 9.

Honestly I haven't really missed much from an Iphone, I also have a macbook but it doesn't really impact anything I can do on my computer.
The BIXBY button is annoying but I'm getting used to it (Coming Close to a Month with Android).

Transferring of files was super easy using the "Smart Switch" app that was already installed on the phone when I bought it.
It does it over bluetooth and moved all my contacts and photos/videos over.
VictoryJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 06:23 PM   #6
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostandIn View Post
What about retaining text conversations? Do you lose them when you switch platforms?
You can always save them using something like iExplorer.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 10:18 AM   #7
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can turn off the Bixby button. It annoyed me too coming from a Google Pixel to a Samsung. Will be going back to the Google phone next fall
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 11:18 AM   #8
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocoli View Post

Me, too. When I replace my old iPhone 5 (no ridicule) I’m going Android.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 11:16 AM   #9
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

How about the opposite? I was just forced to go from Android to Apple. Is there an app wherein I can just easily transfer from Samsung to iPhone? I don't think there is an apple equivalent of Smart Switch.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 11:28 AM   #10
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
I just made the switch from an Iphone 5 to a galaxy 8.

It was actually easy to transfer data, you download and app and plug in a cord that comes with the phone.
It really took some time to get used to the interface, but I think that with time anyone could switch. I hated it at first, still do is some respects but oh well.

the brixby function sucks ass because it has its own button that if you accidentally press it ques it up. Its also really big, but I think all new phones are like that so what ever.
https://www.androidauthority.com/dis...axy-s9-851519/
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pseudoreality For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2018, 12:32 PM   #11
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
How about the opposite? I was just forced to go from Android to Apple. Is there an app wherein I can just easily transfer from Samsung to iPhone? I don't think there is an apple equivalent of Smart Switch.
There’s a Move To iOS app on the play store. I have no idea how well it works. https://www.apple.com/ca/iphone/move-to-ios/
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 01:21 PM   #12
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

It works well actually.

The key is you have to do the transfer as you are setting up the iPhone. Impossible to do so afterwards.

I had to do a factory reset to start over.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote