- Terrible start
- Spotty special teams
- Lines get blendered
- Comeback interesting
Old 10-11-2018, 09:24 PM   #2
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finally some secondary scoring. That is something to grown on at least. Plus Rittich stopping all 8 shots. It was only 8 shots, but he did his job fine.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:26 PM   #3
JurassicTunga12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah. Glad to see those 3 get their first goals. Hopefully they can get on a roll now too.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:52 PM   #4
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Still convinced they were partying old school at Tkachuk’s

The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2018, 10:30 PM   #5
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good write up as always. The advanced stats show that Gaudreau and Monahan were bad, which confirms the eye test tonight.

Ultimately Peters is dressing Peluso. I don’t see it’s a Treliving thing necessarily although I am sure the players like having a tough guy in the lineup. I think it’s more about disappointment in Jankowski but just guessing on that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2018, 10:44 PM   #6
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Good write up
Old 10-11-2018, 11:08 PM   #7
BACKCHECK!!!
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Flames have a LOT of intriguing line combinations.

Forward depth is nice.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:23 PM   #8
H2SO4(aq)
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

“Fancy stats” certainly passed the eye test tonight I’d say.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:30 PM   #9
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

So... At what point is Bennett pushing himself to a top6 role. Top line bound to hit a bad game here and there, but i don't see the originally constructed 2nd line generating on the stat sheet...

I hope Bennett keeps up his play. He's better than czarnik, who is not bad himself.
Old 10-12-2018, 01:57 AM   #10
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

I feel like top 6 minutes are definatley available for the taking for anyone not named Gaudreau, Monahan, Lindholm or Tkachuk. Backlund and Neal will get their minutes but everyone else will have to work hard to keep their icetime from diminishing.

In the end it will be a good thing, and yea I think Bennett could and hopefully does earn his way into the top 6. You know your team is well off if 5 of your top 6 forwards are 25yrs old or under and 3 of your top 6 dmen are 22 or under.

Mike Smith needs to realize he doesn't need to touch the puck every time it goes behind the net on a dump in..

I'm sick of seeing those gift goals because he just can't resist.
Old 10-12-2018, 03:20 AM   #11
My2Cents
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Thanks Bingo for doing these. It’s difficult for me to watch games due to time zone (moved to Singapore) and these write ups are a great way to get the feel of the game. Greatly appreciated!
Old 10-12-2018, 08:26 AM   #12
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
I feel like top 6 minutes are definatley available for the taking for anyone not named Gaudreau, Monahan, Lindholm or Tkachuk. Backlund and Neal will get their minutes but everyone else will have to work hard to keep their icetime from diminishing.

In the end it will be a good thing, and yea I think Bennett could and hopefully does earn his way into the top 6. You know your team is well off if 5 of your top 6 forwards are 25yrs old or under and 3 of your top 6 dmen are 22 or under.

Mike Smith needs to realize he doesn't need to touch the puck every time it goes behind the net on a dump in..

I'm sick of seeing those gift goals because he just can't resist.
With left wing being his position and Gaudreau and Tkachuk on that side naturally I'm not sure top six is all that likely.

But if can entrench himself on a third line this year with talented players it's a step up on a deeper team. I think everyone would be happy with a 15 goal 40 point season on the third line.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:27 AM   #13
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Having Engelland in your line-up is not at all the same as having Peluso or Glass.

Ferland may have been a lot more important in the trade than was given credit as he was not in the line-up as a deterrent and was able to play 15+ minutes a game without hurting the team. Don't miss him till he's gone

Is Lindholm + Pelusso >> Ferland + Jankowski?

The Oilers having Lucic make the Flames a worse team as they will be dressing Pelusso against the Oilers.

Who was Gaudreau intimidated by on the Blues lineup? Marroon? Edmundson? The Blues did not dress anyone that Peluso could have a staged fight.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:31 AM   #14
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've been really impressed with the strides Bennett has been taking so early in this season. Game 1 I was impressed by the simplicity of just go and skate, hit and push the play, but nothing fancy. Game 2, again with limited ice-time but he was able to continue that intensity and instead of blindly hitting, start to make more consequential plays. Game 3 got the bump to the 3rd line and had a goal stolen and was gelling with Neal and Dube and starting to regain that confidence and offensive creativity.

Last night I thought he was one of the best Flames in terms of generating offense. that drive to the net which ended in the Neal goal was such a strong power move with confidence. Then in the third during the comeback push I thought he was so much stronger and smarter on the puck than anytime last year. Instead of dangling through 5 guys every time he was very aware of his linemates and able to maintain possesion and generate some plays. Confidence goes such a long way.

I'm hopeful that these couple games in the pressbox watching will be able to help spark Jankowski and get him back on track too.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
The Following User Says Thank You to belsarius For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2018, 09:13 AM   #15
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
Having Engelland in your line-up is not at all the same as having Peluso or Glass.

Ferland may have been a lot more important in the trade than was given credit as he was not in the line-up as a deterrent and was able to play 15+ minutes a game without hurting the team. Don't miss him till he's gone

Is Lindholm + Pelusso >> Ferland + Jankowski?

The Oilers having Lucic make the Flames a worse team as they will be dressing Pelusso against the Oilers.

Who was Gaudreau intimidated by on the Blues lineup? Marroon? Edmundson? The Blues did not dress anyone that Peluso could have a staged fight.
Sure but Ferland was never .. honestly never a deterrent. Even in that Vancouver series he just hit guys, he wasn't keeping people in line in any way shape or form.

His inconsistency in scoring was more than matched by his inconsistency in physical play.

Lindholm + Pelusso <> Ferland@10% + Jankowski

But I'm honestly not on the deterrent is needed side. I don't see it. I do think some players have told Treliving it's important though.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:40 AM   #16
kman35ca
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Ya really liking how Bennett has been playing. He’s using his line mates more, and not trying to dangle, or that toe drag etc. May have worked in JR, but it’s not working here. Keeping his game simpler, and just playing smart. He’s tenacious and can become a very good power forward.
Playing with good line mates definitely helps. And I like that line. To me it’s almost like a 2b line. And with him and Neal both having that nasty side to them could drive some teams nuts. I honestly think, he can still be a 25+ goal guy, in the 50-60 point range. And be a great playoff player. I hope we don’t trade him, but if it’s for a good starting goaltender, that might be what happens. As I’m sure his value is gonna go up quite a bit if he keeps this play up for 20-30 games. Or until trade deadline. But really don’t want him in the west if he was traded, as I think he could comeback to haunt us. Peluso, I didn’t catch the entire game, but when we do need some muscle, I think we could haveworse.
And I do think the a couple guys had a few too many at Tchukies house....That was one of JG worst games I’ve seen. And I think they gotta look at other options for gaining the zone. Sure JG can do it, but it’s getting to predictable. And again, not enough skating in zone on the PP last night. But I guess it’s a work in progress.
Well at least we lost to a good team, that was hungry and played good. I just really hope this team stops this erratic play hard one game, then take a period or 2 off the next game. Hopefully Peters starts really putting his foot down. Maybe toss a stick, lol. Jk, don’t want any thing to remind me of GG.
PS, Smith, you are not a D-Man! Stay in your net! And play like you did in Nashville every game! If he still can...
Old 10-12-2018, 09:45 AM   #17
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
With left wing being his position and Gaudreau and Tkachuk on that side naturally I'm not sure top six is all that likely.

But if can entrench himself on a third line this year with talented players it's a step up on a deeper team. I think everyone would be happy with a 15 goal 40 point season on the third line.
Maybe second line center.
Peters did mention something along the lines of needing to find out if Sam is a winger or center
Old 10-12-2018, 09:52 AM   #18
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrebmi View Post
Maybe second line center.
Peters did mention something along the lines of needing to find out if Sam is a winger or center
He was easily the best face off guy in Calgary last year, so there's that.

Can he handle the defensive side of the position though? Plus there are four obvious options up the middle already, Dube moving there.

Team is crowded!
Old 10-12-2018, 09:59 AM   #19
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post

40 points from the “3rd line” without PP/PK time would be huge.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:08 AM   #20
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman35ca View Post
...Smith, you are not a D-Man! Stay in your net! And play like you did in Nashville every game! If he still can...
I have seen a few posts like this about how much much Smith’s handling of the puck hurts the Flames (I am unsure if your comment is tongue-in-cheek?). This is complaint is badly exaggerated. Yes, he cost the team a goal last night, but how often does this actually happen? I don’t recall him once getting burned behind the net all of last season, and I would say that the number of times that Smith’s handling of the puck makes for fast transitions greatly outnumbered the times it has hurt the team. This is not an issue. Not at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread