Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2018, 01:30 PM   #341
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

I still can't stop playing Dead Cells.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Old Yeller For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2018, 04:43 PM   #342
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I got the Spider-man platinum! Obtaining enough challenge tokens to buy all the suits was by far the hardest part. With a bit of practice I was eventually able to get spectacular on all of them and then perfected some of the bomb and stealth challenges to put me over the top.

I've never come close to a platinum before as I lose interest in a game and cannot be bothered going after trophies that involve online play and grinding. Big props to the Spider-man developers for a game that I could not put down and for making going after all the trophies an enjoyable experience.

I guess I'm still not technically done the game. I still need two tokens to unlock the final web shooter and need to find about 20 more Daily Bugles and hidden photos. Bring on the expansion packs.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:48 PM   #343
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Keep your eyes open for graffiti of marvel characters, a lot of the secret photos are graffiti.

Also, read the names on all the tombstones by the church in the far north of Harlem.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 09:30 PM   #344
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Daily Bugles aren't difficult to find because they're not location specific. Just swing around the city looking for the red boxes. Every time you open one, you'll get the next paper in order.

You can't keep going back to the same box because the same box will keep showing the same paper, but there are some places that have a lot of boxes is close proximity, so you can just run around and grab a bunch in a row.
Old 10-20-2018, 01:36 PM   #345
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Picked up Odyssey on the 18th after I was finally back in the country, just been mashing like a loon. I love this game so far! This is my alltime favourite historical period and I know a lot about this war so that is probably influencing it a bit, but I'm just finding it so fun (I'm also in the early going; just left Kephalonia, so nothing is repetitive yet). I like the move to full RPG which has surprised me.

Impressive upgrade in naval combat over Origins (which was the first AC game where I felt naval was a disappointing slog), and combat feels like an upgrade over Origins and more challenging. I've elected to play on Hard so I'm not finding I'm able to just bull rush into a location and superhero everybody to death - I have died a LOT so far - so it's added to the challenge for me and desire to use stealth.

The graphics look very similar to Origins but I love all the added colour and inclusion of waves around shorelines, and it's a lot lighter than the brooding Bayek (who I also liked). The music is amazing too, even the map has me nerding out. Love this setting so much...I don't know how I'm going to kick this to the back burner in under a week for RDR2
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 02:40 PM   #346
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
One thing I have to say is big props to Ubisoft for making the toys optional for Star Link.

Was interested in the game but didn't want the clutter from all the different weapons, pilots, and ships, and was pleasantly surprised when I found out the base version of the game digitally came with pretty much all the additional content included (only missing 1 ship, 3 pilots, and 3 weapons but if people wanted those were in the deluxe version for $20 more).

Actually really enjoying the game so far too.
I'm still on the fence, as even the base game costs 20% more than Mario Odyssey or Breath of the Wild, never mind the deluxe edition. Ubisoft seems to have sponsored a lot of reviews so I'm having a hard time taking anything I see about it on youtube to heart.
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 03:34 PM   #347
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

So do the Assassin's Creed games still carry some kind of present day story between them? The last one I played was Black Flag which still had some of the moden day characters from the original trilogy, but that part never seemed to go anywhere
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 07:22 PM   #348
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
So do the Assassin's Creed games still carry some kind of present day story between them? The last one I played was Black Flag which still had some of the moden day characters from the original trilogy, but that part never seemed to go anywhere
Yes, though they've seemed to tone it down a bit which is fine with me. Whenever I had to do something present day I'd get annoyed.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2018, 08:23 PM   #349
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Yes, though they've seemed to tone it down a bit which is fine with me. Whenever I had to do something present day I'd get annoyed.
Same. Those segments always seem like an unwelcome break in the fun to shoehorn in a pat of the story I really don't care about. Not sure if I'm alone in this but it feels like they think they need the modern day angle to justify the historical jumping around the series does but as far as I'm concerned they don't need it, just give me a cool setting and a fun game and drop the overall story arc

Last edited by btimbit; 10-20-2018 at 09:20 PM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 11:15 AM   #350
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Party Elephant View Post
I'm still on the fence, as even the base game costs 20% more than Mario Odyssey or Breath of the Wild, never mind the deluxe edition. Ubisoft seems to have sponsored a lot of reviews so I'm having a hard time taking anything I see about it on youtube to heart.
Same price no...

Digital base game is $79.99 for all of them.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 02:30 PM   #351
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Same price no...

Digital base game is $79.99 for all of them.
I'm not in Canada, so the prices I'm looking at are $120 NZ for the digital starter pack or $160 for the deluxe. A full price switch game such as my 2 earlier examples is usually $85-100. I'll happily pay that amount for something I'll get a lot of time and enjoyment out of, but Starlink appears to get most of its flavour from the ship customisation mechanics, while the actual gameplay loop and story appear to be pretty bland.

I've watched a lot of reviews from various sources on YouTube and they all fall into these categories:

- Paid endorsement: "oh my God I love the toys this is so cool I feel like a kid and star fox is in the game this is great! This video is sponsored by ubisoft"
- Slightly critical: "Toy mechanics work well, lots of options to customize your ships, lots to do in game but the things you do get repetitive. Star Fox inclusion adds some depth and is woven nicely into the story, but the overall story isn't too elaborate."

I've yet to see an outright bad review of the game, but for now I cant really justify the price point. Will probably try it if it goes on sale sometime though.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:54 AM   #352
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Yeah, Ubisoft has some incredibly silly pricing going on for people in Australia and New Zealand. You may as well wait for a sale.

Or create an account that links to the Canadian or American eshop and pay via paypal.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 04:01 PM   #353
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Yeah, Ubisoft has some incredibly silly pricing going on for people in Australia and New Zealand. You may as well wait for a sale.

Or create an account that links to the Canadian or American eshop and pay via paypal.
I didn't realize that for you guys it was the same price as a regular game. If that were the case I'd buy it. Sounds like the shipping costs to get all those bulky toys down here are what's pushing the price up and they dont want to make the digital much cheaper and end up with a bunch of unsold toys.
Old 10-22-2018, 05:39 PM   #354
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Was gonna say, I'd be happy to send you one, but the shipping would kill any savings.

It's also super expensive in Europe, so the cost of shipping excuse doesn't really fly for me.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 12:24 AM   #355
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Two days, nine hours to RDR2 ... I am teh excite.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 05:01 PM   #356
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Battlefield V's battle royale mode is not launching until March. I have a feeling this game is going to struggle.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 05:17 PM   #357
KevanGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't believe they're screwing up BfV, or well, I guess I can. I was hoping it would be a reimagining of bf42 but everything I've seen so far is pointing towards a weird "forgotten stories" of WW2 and I'm having a hard time getting jazzed for it.

The maps just don't look like WW2 and the gameplay didn't feel like that era at all. Also, it seems ridiculous that the same guns are used by all factions. I'd way prefer more historical accuracy at the core of the game.
KevanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 06:08 PM   #358
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveway View Post
Two days, nine hours to RDR2 ... I am teh excite.
Is it playable without having played the first? I only got through a few hours of RDR1.

Looks good though, thinking of picking #2 up.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 06:25 PM   #359
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevanGuy View Post
I can't believe they're screwing up BfV, or well, I guess I can. I was hoping it would be a reimagining of bf42 but everything I've seen so far is pointing towards a weird "forgotten stories" of WW2 and I'm having a hard time getting jazzed for it.

The maps just don't look like WW2 and the gameplay didn't feel like that era at all. Also, it seems ridiculous that the same guns are used by all factions. I'd way prefer more historical accuracy at the core of the game.
It grew on me the more I played the beta, but it really did feel like battlefield 1, in WW2.

It's a series I really hope returns to its roots
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2018, 07:07 PM   #360
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownhillGoat View Post
Is it playable without having played the first? I only got through a few hours of RDR1.

Looks good though, thinking of picking #2 up.

I think it's a prequel so you should be okay..

But my god, play the first game. Literally a masterpiece.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post: