Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2018, 09:07 AM   #141
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
Bit of a rant from me.

I've been casually looking into coming back to Calgary since I now have a small family and it makes more sense to be close to relatives. I have been able to work remotely from Calgary on a number of occasions this year, but this isn't a viable option long term for our family.

So last week I see three jobs posted in my field at a former employer. Great I thought! Looks like they've got a lot of work, I left on good terms, and they have a history of hiring former employees. So I message the hiring manager on LinkedIn who I know fairly well. He then proceeds to view my profile, view my message and then not even give me a response.

This is so beyond aggravating. At least have the decency to say something like "sorry not interested." I forgot how much applying for jobs sucks and how infuriating the entire process can be.
Ha! Reminds me of doing Medical Tests.

"If everything is okay you'll never hear from us again!"

You know, just a quick 'All good' helps people just move along in the process.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2018, 09:08 AM   #142
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

People hide from contact, and business etiquette has changed due to that.

While I get that todays apps like email and voice mail for example allow people to be more production by being able to filter who they talk to, but at the same time, not even acknowledging contact to me is rude.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2018, 09:16 AM   #143
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Bit of a rant from me.

I've been casually looking into coming back to Calgary since I now have a small family and it makes more sense to be close to relatives. I have been able to work remotely from Calgary on a number of occasions this year, but this isn't a viable option long term for our family.

So last week I see three jobs posted in my field at a former employer. Great I thought! Looks like they've got a lot of work, I left on good terms, and they have a history of hiring former employees. So I message the hiring manager on LinkedIn who I know fairly well. He then proceeds to view my profile, view my message and then not even give me a response.

This is so beyond aggravating. At least have the decency to say something like "sorry not interested." I forgot how much applying for jobs sucks and how infuriating the entire process can be.
It is definitely a frustrating process. I certainly understand the on-line applications which state that you may not hear a response if you are not chosen to interview, but if you do get an interview or it is a personal contact, I would think it polite behaviour to let the person know they don’t have a spot for them. I am seeing this quite a bit myself. I went as far as a second interview for one position, down to the final 2 or 3 and then...nothing. I even asked the HR person for an update and not even a reply. Poor form, I would say.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 09:24 AM   #144
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Man, again This is a bit of indulgence for me, but thanks for letting me do it. Over the past week and a half, I've learned that I think you need a wall to throw things against while your going through this process, and since I don't have a lot of option for that, I use this.

I'm up to 28 applications sent, I've had two first interviews, and I was sent through to second interviews on both of those today for appointments next week.

That has to be a good thing right?

I would like to hear back on more of my applications, but for the most part they've only been in front of these people for 8 days, and a lot of them wait for all possible applications.

I'm going for coffee with another of my contacts tomorrow, which will be nice.

I guess I need to continue to apply, and I get to do my first EI card today (yeh!?!).

my fear is with the experience that I have that I might be looked at as over qualified.

Here's hoping that one of these two seconds bears fruit.
Dude - you are doing freakin' AWESOME!

I have been in and out of work since 2013. My last stint was 9 months (I ended up taking a really low paying "help out" job just to get working again.)

I once applied to a job in November and then got an interview call - In January. Of course, every industry and position is different, but it is not unusual to hear from someone 2-3 months after you apply. More often than not I never heard back.

Don't get down on yourself. You are doing all the right things - working on submitting applications, informational interviews, networking (hardest thing). Consider the EI deal payment for your 5 hours a day looking.

Also, don't be ashamed or embarrassed to tell people (everyone and anyone) that you are actively looking and available for a new position. It's not the stigma it used to be and you never know where the next job will come from.
Bleeding Red is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bleeding Red For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2018, 09:32 AM   #145
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeding Red View Post
Dude - you are doing freakin' AWESOME!

I have been in and out of work since 2013. My last stint was 9 months (I ended up taking a really low paying "help out" job just to get working again.)

I once applied to a job in November and then got an interview call - In January. Of course, every industry and position is different, but it is not unusual to hear from someone 2-3 months after you apply. More often than not I never heard back.

Don't get down on yourself. You are doing all the right things - working on submitting applications, informational interviews, networking (hardest thing). Consider the EI deal payment for your 5 hours a day looking.

Also, don't be ashamed or embarrassed to tell people (everyone and anyone) that you are actively looking and available for a new position. It's not the stigma it used to be and you never know where the next job will come from.
It should also be noted that while jobs like that are looked down upon and some people would even say "I'd make more on EI!"

What they do is also make sure that you dont have large gaps of unemployment on your resume which is one of the first things potential employers look at.

It means you're motivated and that you're not out of touch with the current job market.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2018, 10:39 AM   #146
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I applied for a job in Edmonton yesterday and already received a rejection email this morning. More proof that Edmonton is indeed no good.

Last edited by Inferno; 09-27-2018 at 10:41 AM.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 02:15 PM   #147
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
So I applied for a job in Edmonton yesterday and already received a rejection email this morning. More proof that Edmonton is indeed no good.

I don't know whether to laugh, or feel bad about laughing. You've put me in a rough spot.

Its funny, I was so down last yesterday, Before I went to bed, I did the crabby thing, where I just said, I need one good thing to happen here.

Today, I got the two second interviews, and a first interview that came out of someone looking at my linkedin account.

I think that one thing that's huge, as much as we laugh about linkedin, make sure your profile is up to date and your broadcast is turned on, A lot of the recruiters and HR people will start their search there because its cheaper and easier to find candidates.

Old 09-28-2018, 05:23 AM   #148
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Bit of a rant from me.

So update to this. I did finally get a message back from this guy.

He liked what he saw on LinkedIn and asked me to send my resume. He said a lot of people have applied, but that he'll push my application through to the top of the pile.

Turns out he's not a scum bag.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to _Q_ For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2018, 08:08 AM   #149
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

One thing that's difficult to grasp at first, and be mindful of, is that responses to applications and inquiries are not nearly as instant as it is from your end. If I receive a call or email for an interview or follow up it is typically within 2 weeks of the close date.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 08:16 AM   #150
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
One thing that's difficult to grasp at first, and be mindful of, is that responses to applications and inquiries are not nearly as instant as it is from your end. If I receive a call or email for an interview or follow up it is typically within 2 weeks of the close date.

That's the hardest thing about this process. However talking to one gentleman yesterday, he mentioned that they usually receive a hundred or more applications per job, but if your resume and cover letter really stand out, they'll contact you right away to make sure that if your a real fit they get you off of the market.

But patience, which is the one thing I'm not good at, is a big part of this, if you have trouble with that its easy to get into your own head.

Old 09-28-2018, 08:55 AM   #151
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Oh my god, I'm trying to fill out my EI report on the government site, and first of all, I had a flashback to dial up. And then halfway through the report it times out.

Jesus

Old 09-28-2018, 08:43 PM   #152
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Oh my god, I'm trying to fill out my EI report on the government site, and first of all, I had a flashback to dial up. And then halfway through the report it times out.

Jesus
No
No
No
Yes
No

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2018, 10:37 AM   #153
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

So it looks like I may have to swallow my pride and apply for a minimum wage job to make ends meet.

Any suggestions on how to apply for jobs like this when you are over qualified? My resume certainly isn't tailored to apply for this kind of work.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 01:12 PM   #154
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So it looks like I may have to swallow my pride and apply for a minimum wage job to make ends meet.

Any suggestions on how to apply for jobs like this when you are over qualified? My resume certainly isn't tailored to apply for this kind of work.

What field are you in? Maybe tailor it to focus on skills and experience. Leave out titles that sound a bit too overqualified?

If you’re going to look for a job in that category, at least pick something you can learn something from.

When my wife was out of work she was considering going into a bakery. Personally I think being a bike courier would be something I would like to do.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2018, 03:49 PM   #155
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Definitely tailor your resume to appear more in line with the job you're applying for. Companies in Calgary these days know to stay away from over qualified candidates as the flight risk is real and generally comes to fruition within three months of hiring, as it's easier for said candidates to get hired somewhere better from a position of strength (being employed).

"Yeah, I'm looking to get out of industry X (usually Oil and Gas) and just settle down with something more stable, I'm tired of the rollercoaster" pretty much means "Yeah, I'm looking to get some pay cheques coming in until the literal second one of my connections gets me back in Oil and Gas".

It's better to just avoid this line of reasoning in lower job interviews. They've seen it, they know it, they've spent thousands training and losing these employees, it will most likely hurt your chances.

Last edited by jayswin; 09-30-2018 at 03:52 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2018, 09:49 AM   #156
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:

I wouldn't even think of it as swallowing your pride. Just get working, get moving, make a little money, meet some people and carry on with life. It's a non-thing to be working "below your station" or however it is that you're looking at it. If I was looking at two qualified candidates - one who had been mowing lawns five days a week the past six months and one who was sitting around collecting EI the past six months, I'd take the worker each and every time. It also gives you some neat current experience to draw from in your interview in a way that would be unexpected and refreshing for your interviewer.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2018, 11:42 AM   #157
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Well I'm officially a EI recipient as my first payment was processed last night and should be on its way this week.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2018, 11:57 AM   #158
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well I'm officially a EI recipient as my first payment was processed last night and should be on its way this week.
You're a burden upon society and should feel ashamed!

Well, the Government was going to waste that money anyways so you might as well do it for them.

Old 10-01-2018, 12:47 PM   #159
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

yeah, That's the one thing that sucks, I've always been able to say that I've never been on any kind of government program, now I've been hoisted on my petard . . . hoisted.

The good news, is that I've moved to a second interview with another opportunity which is great, so that's three second interviews for this week, and a first interview. I've also got 35 apps out so hoping more comes from there.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2018, 01:31 PM   #160
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

My suggestion is not to feel like these jobs are beneath you. The people doing the hiring can sense these things right away. Don't think of it as swallowing your pride, doing a job you are over qualified for, and/or that it's a gift to them that you are there.

Apply for jobs you want, answer questions directly in the interviews, and do an excellent job when you get hired. If a business is willing to give you some of their money in exchange for your services, you owe it to them to dedicate your time to them when you are there. When you are at the job, refrain from talking about how awesome your previous job was and/or how important you were. Just because your next job won't be your dream career job, doesn't mean it can't be worthwhile. You also never know who you'll meet at the next job.

Restaurants are always hiring, and you won't earn minimum wage. Back of house employees are paid above this and servers make tips. With the Christmas season coming up many hotels and event centres are looking for temporary employees through the rest of the year to serve parties and events.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:

Tags
job search , jobs , unemployed