Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2018, 12:38 PM   #201
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Ryan signing is not popular because:

The Flames did so well in the Hamilton/Ferland for Lindholm/Hanifin trade adding 2 cor players.

The Flames having huge cap space were expected to add another core player and Ryan has never been a core player, he is 31 years old and has not been a NHL playoff game.

He wasn't a guy that would be mentioned in the Canes pre-game write up as someone to pay attention to.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 12:40 PM   #202
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post

The Flames did so well in the Hamilton/Ferland for Lindholm/Hanifin trade adding 2 cor players.

The Flames having huge cap space were expected to add another core player and Ryan has never been a core player, he is 31 years old and has not been a NHL playoff game.

He wasn't a guy that would be mentioned in the Canes pre-game write up as someone to pay attention to.
Glad you are here to advise us as to what's popular and what's not.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 12:47 PM   #203
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

The pre game write ups? Wdf
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2018, 12:51 PM   #204
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
The pre game write ups? Wdf
I wish I could like this twice for the "Wdf" call back.

What poster was that? He had Duck in his name or something?
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2018, 12:53 PM   #205
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It's impressive that post game editorial data from fringe teams like the Cains help to make up the GRiT index.

#advanceAdvancedStats
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 12:54 PM   #206
Spinach
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

There weren't many core players available, period, and almost none who made sense for the Flames.

Unless you consider the likes of Tyler Bozak a core player, the only guy who signed today who could have really helped them is David Perron. Besides, the offseason is only just beginning!
Spinach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 01:06 PM   #207
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

He's on the Fan960 right now.

Calgary was the best fit, excited, blah blah.

Figures Calgary made the most sense in terms of opportunity and where he thinks he can fit in the lineup, loved the city, and knows Peters obviously.

Asked where he thinks he fits. Says middle 6 forward, knows the teams that were interested in him value his versatility in the lineup, his PP and PK abilities, etc.

Asked about the Bill Peters factor. Says honestly not a big factor in choosing the Flames, more about finding the right opportunity/fit as a player. Calgary potentially had the best fit from what they could determine.

Asked about the Calgary roster. Says up and down the lineup there's exciting wingers, goal scoring skilled wingers. He wants to win and play with fun players.

Asked about Calgary in general. Says because he played for the UofA he knows the market and is excited about the passion and higher expectations/pressure.

Asked about his unusual career path and if he had doubts. Said he always wanted to be the best in any role and team he played on, and continued to climb the ladder to his goal of the NHL. Said once he was the MVP of the Swedish league, he felt like he could definitely make it to the NHL and that it was time to come back and make the push.

Asked if he might be the "translator" for the rest of the team when it comes to learning Bill Peters' system. Says it will help with Lindholm and Hanifin, and that it should help but Peters is great at introducing his system to new players.

Asked about being the "old" player, despite only being 31. Says yeah Carolina was a young team too, but is a lead by example type of guy but is more than happy to take a larger leadership role if needed. 31 but has low miles on him, but lots of experience and can use it to make his teammates better.

Last edited by AC; 07-01-2018 at 01:16 PM.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 01:26 PM   #208
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I never expected the Flames to add a top level or core player UFA merely cause the fact we are not a top tier free agent destination. When you are on the lower tier of cities for players to want to choose as a place to sign, it’s expected that we wouldn’t be signing anyone who is an actual top six player.
soulchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 01:31 PM   #209
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Ryan signing is not popular?

Since when?
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 01:33 PM   #210
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Ricardo’s cluelessness on display post after post,

Flames were expected to add another core player? Wtf?

Fans judging players by pre game write ups? Wtf? Maybe this explains some of his player evaluations.

Thinks fans don’t like the move and then invents reasons why as if they were explanations. Wtf
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2018, 01:45 PM   #211
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Money is ok. I feel like the term is a bit much.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 01:46 PM   #212
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

In my opinion the Flames did add another core player today. By shoring up our top nine with actual top nine skill we will see Sam Bennett emerge as a core forward. No more Bouma/Hathaway/Chiasson/Brouwer wasting every other shift he plays, plus Bill Peters managing his discipline the way Bob Hartley did.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 01:49 PM   #213
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post

Seems like a solid business model
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 02:02 PM   #214
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Ricardo’s cluelessness on display post after post,

Flames were expected to add another core player? Wtf?

Fans judging players by pre game write ups? Wtf? Maybe this explains some of his player evaluations.

Thinks fans don’t like the move and then invents reasons why as if they were explanations. Wtf

I'm probably the only one but I have grown to like Ricardo's unique view posts. It adds something I would never have thought of . Whether those things actually contribute to anything is debatable
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kyuss275 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2018, 02:03 PM   #215
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

This isn't popular because it's paying lots of money to a guy who isn't likely to earn it.

Derek Ryan hasn't had as impressive a career as Mason Raymond or Troy Brouwer, yet he's getting a contract that's too much, and too long for 31 year old bottom six forward.

Do we actually believe Derek Ryan will finish this deal with the Flames? Raymond was bought out. Brouwer will probably be bought out at the end of the year.

We signed a whipping boy. That's why nobody likes this. Not because Ryan wasn't talked up in the GDT.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 02:09 PM   #216
Burner
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
Money is ok. I feel like the term is a bit much.
so 2.5 years??
Burner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 02:11 PM   #217
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burner View Post
so 2.5 years??
Honestly, had he signed for 2/$4m/per, I would have been happy. That third year is always devastating for an older fringe player.
Old 07-01-2018, 02:13 PM   #218
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
This isn't popular because it's paying lots of money to a guy who isn't likely to earn it.

Derek Ryan hasn't had as impressive a career as Mason Raymond or Troy Brouwer, yet he's getting a contract that's too much, and too long for 31 year old bottom six forward.

Do we actually believe Derek Ryan will finish this deal with the Flames? Raymond was bought out. Brouwer will probably be bought out at the end of the year.

We signed a whipping boy. That's why nobody likes this. Not because Ryan wasn't talked up in the GDT.
I like it.

And I don't like to speak for others, but I believe I am not alone in this view.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2018, 02:14 PM   #219
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Lots of people like this. Not sure why you think he’s a whipping boy, strange comment.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 02:21 PM   #220
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Lots of people like this. Not sure why you think he’s a whipping boy, strange comment.
Because for some reason our GM likes signing whipping boys July 1.

I apologise for speaking for others, none of the voices in my head like this signing. I'm always willing to be wrong. I don't like these types of signings. Ryan is never going to outplay his contract, and we can only hope he's not a boat anchor.