Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 06-23-2018, 04:17 PM   #1041
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignite09 View Post
How was Hamilton clearly a problem?
Give Brad a call and ask him?
Watch the interview with Brad on the flames site, he CLEARLY skirts any mention of Dougie whatsoever. He'll mention losing Ferland is unfortunate because he's a warrior for the Flames and then moves on to the acquisitions.

He was a problem, why you cant seem to understand it is beyond me but you can keep asking the same questions over and over. Either way whats done is done and its confirmed to the FLAMES MANAGEMENT GROUP that Dougie was a problem and we all have to move on.

With that being said I think were still 1 UFA signing or trade to solidify our top 6 group:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Tkachuk - Jankowski - Vanek/Perron/Neal/Frk
Bennett - Backlund - Frolik
Lazar - Shore - Ryan

Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Hamonic
Valimaki - Andersson
Kylington/Kulak

Smith

Last edited by Royle9; 06-23-2018 at 04:22 PM.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 04:19 PM   #1042
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

Geez I'm sure treliving wasn't just like you know what have fox for free I'll throw him in because I'm such a nice guy. Fox was probably the vital part of getting one of these guys if anything ferland is the throw in
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 04:19 PM   #1043
Owen15
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
When the Predators traded Jimmy Vesey's rights, they got a 4th round pick. So, I guess that's a decent approximation of what Fox is worth? From Treliving's comments, it sounds like he plans to become a UFA, so really all Carolina is buying is negotiation time.
And the future benefit for flipping his rights to the team he picks so he doesn’t actually have to play that 4th year. He’ll let Waddell know when he sorts it all out.
Owen15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 04:20 PM   #1044
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pondering the trade, and looking at the post-trade quotes, I get it and I’m pretty pleased with all of this.

1 - Ferland was inconsistent on the top line, but serviceable so I had no issue with him coming back into that role next year. The problem with Ferly was that he couldn’t play down the lineup, as he became completely ineffective when separated from Gaudreau and Monahan. With Ferly up for free agency next year, I was afraid of extending him at 4M+ when we knew he couldn’t play anywhere else and be nearly as effective.

2 - The Fox inclusion initially burned, but hearing that signing was going to be an issue, screw him and I’m happy we got the return we did. He was an excellent pick, and we extracted value from that. I’m pleased.

3 - With Dougie Hamilton, it started to become clear that a lot of the “lack of emotional engagement” was directed towards him when he didn’t speak to the media at the end of the year and then started popping up in these rumours. Tree’s comments/lack of comments on Dougie’s off-ice life seem pretty damning.

In the return:

1 - MaxCowDisease I discussed Monahan/Lindholm a fair bit prior to Lindholm going at 5, and Monahan landing in Calgary at 6. I wanted Monahan, he wanted Lindholm and in the end I would’ve been happy with either so it’s cool to see Lindholm end up here. He’s a much better overall player than Ferland is, and I like the fit on the top line.

2 - Hanifin intrigues me, he’s really young and has a high ceiling. I’m intrigued to see Brodie back on Gio’s side and happy that Hamonic is getting a new partner as he and Brodie was a disaster. I view Hanifin as a way we’ll hopefully get more out of two players already on the roster (Hamonic/Brodie).

And hearing Peters talk, it sounds to me like he’s envisioning a top six of:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Bennett - Backlund - Tkachuk

Which I love seeing because it also gives Jankowski a defensively responsible veteran winger to rely on (Frolik), while giving Bennett good linemates and Tkachuk someone (Bennett) a more offensively inclined player to produce with.

I’m now looking forward to free agency, as I see a few opportunities to build out the bottom 6:

1 - Perron or Neal could be impact signings to play on the left side of Jankowski - Frolik.

2 - Derek Ryan could be a stabilizing force on the 4th line.

My projected bottom 6:

Neal - Jankowski - Frolik
Shore - Ryan - Lazar
Brouwer

with Foo and Mangiapane acting as call-ups for the RW and LW position respectively.

Intriguing times.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 04:20 PM   #1045
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon View Post
I'm thinking we see this:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Tkachuk
Bennett - Lindholm - UFA/Brouwer
Jankowski - Backlund - Frolik
Lazar - Shore - Foo/rookie

Depending on what that UFA piece is or how camp goes could juggle things. But I still think we need one more offensive threat, ideally RH
I actually think Tre is done, from his comments he doesn't want to pay dollars at UFA time. I don't see Lindholm playing centre for us, I think he will be used as our top RW. I think you will see Tkachuk used as a RW option because I think he scores better on the right side. Move Frolik back to his original position which is LW. I do see Derek Ryan coming in.

Gaudreau/Monahan/Lindholm
Bennett/Jankowski/Tkachuk
Frolik/Backlund/Brouwer
Lazar/Ryan/open spot probably Foo
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 04:21 PM   #1046
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hanifin sounds really happy to go to Calgary. Good.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 04:22 PM   #1047
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Look at it this way. We didn't/don't get to see what Fox can do with the Flames either way, so it's just a big question mark. Who knows how he would have played (or not) in Flames silks.

I'm not opposed to this trade since I am encouraged that Hanafin got 32 points last season. To me, Lindholm is the bigger question mark. I am all kinds of nervous if he has plateaued.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 04:23 PM   #1048
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

The question definitely lingers for me about Lindholm -- is he a comparable to Bennett? Do we have two of him now?

Also, if Peters wants to try Tkachuk on the right, perhaps the Flames could go after a guy like van Riemsdyk to fill that hole on the left?

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 04:25 PM   #1049
Owen15
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I think there’s a reasonable chance Lindholm will make Johnny and Mony better.

More coming for Tkachuk’s line I’m betting.
Old 06-23-2018, 04:25 PM   #1050
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Gaudreau/Monahan/Lindholm
Bennett/Jankowski/Tkachuk
Frolik/Backlund/Brouwer
Lazar/Ryan/open spot probably Foo
Yeah don't mind this either. Plus gives flexibility for someone to impress at camp.
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 04:26 PM   #1051
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
Come on... obviously Lindholm would score more than Ferland with Monahan/Gaudreau. He's a much better player.

Ferland is a 20 point guy at best if he isn't on the line with Gaudreau/Monahan.
Ferland is also a very big hot/cold guy and a big reason the top line had long cold spells.

You can't have 1/3 guys on your top line be a streaky player. And if you moved Ferland down the lineup he cannot make an impact at all.

There is more to hockey than scoring 21 goals.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 04:27 PM   #1052
ignite09
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
Give Brad a call and ask him?
Watch the interview with Brad on the flames site, he CLEARLY skirts any mention of Dougie whatsoever. He'll mention losing Ferland is unfortunate because he's a warrior for the Flames and then moves on to the acquisitions.

He was a problem, why you cant seem to understand it is beyond me but you can keep asking the same questions over and over. Either way whats done is done and its confirmed to the FLAMES MANAGEMENT GROUP that Dougie was a problem and we all have to move on.
You're making stuff up to suit your opinion. There has been no actual facts
showing Hamilton as the problem here. That same Flames management group saw Brouwer and Elliott as the solution, so don't get too confident about trading a no. 1 defenseman as the right solution to this team's woes.
ignite09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 04:27 PM   #1053
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
The question definitely lingers for me about Lindholm -- is he a comparable to Bennett? Do we have two of him now?

Also, if Peters wants to try Tkachuk on the right, perhaps the Flames could go after a guy like van Riemsdyk to fill that hole on the left?
He is better defensively, takes fewer penalties and wins faceoffs better than Bennett FWIW.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 04:28 PM   #1054
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen15 View Post
Well another jersey headed to goodwill. A gift from a corporate outing to a game when Dougie was a shiny new toy.

Damn that’s not the first, some lucky guy has a nice Bourque jersey too.

Maybe Neal will take #27?
Keep them.
I’ve got a signed David Moss for crying out loud - Even wear it every once in a while!

Two bits on the trade:

Personally originally felt we gave up a bit more than I’d hoped, but as more info. comes out, it seems decent. Both pro and con sides need to wait to see how the players mesh before a definitive decision can be made, but IF our ads live up to potential, and IF Dougie and Ferly have reached their potential, we win the trade. Fox is the wild card, and my very limited viewings had my liking his vision and passing, but not wowed by his skating. He was not as much of a standout as I expected him to be when viewing.
IamNotKenKing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 04:31 PM   #1055
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
In what way?

Lindholm reminds me of Backlund but several years ahead of his development. Strong 2-way players with offensive upside.

22 year old seasons:
Lindholm: 11G+34A in 72 games (0.63 ppg)
Backlund: 4G+7A in 41 games (0.27 ppg)

23 year old seasons:
Lindholm: 16G+28A in 81 games (0.54 ppg)
Backlund: 8G+8A in 32 games (0.50 ppg)

24 year old seasons:
Lindholm: 2018/2019
Backlund: 18G+21A in 76 games (0.51 ppg)
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 04:33 PM   #1056
Owen15
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Ferland is also a very big hot/cold guy and a big reason the top line had long cold spells.

You can't have 1/3 guys on your top line be a streaky player. And if you moved Ferland down the lineup he cannot make an impact at all.

There is more to hockey than scoring 21 goals.

No suggesting you are but I’ve been active on this thread all day so I have a suggestion re: Ferland.

We should celebrate the warrior and wish him the best. Not try to justify this trade by looking to deep into shortcomings. I love the guy and am sad he had to go in this trade. But I’m happy the Flames stood by him, I’m happy for him he’s taken advantage of his first line time and will cash in. I legit love this guy and his “frickin” interviews. I would live to see him back if the situation was right.

I wouldn’t say the same about Hamilton.
Old 06-23-2018, 04:34 PM   #1057
drewtastic
First Line Centre

Exp:

I mean, two well-articulated posts in a row. What to think, what to think...

( Anyway—great post @ Cali. I think we are going to be pleasantly surprised by this trade.)
drewtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 04:34 PM   #1058
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Thanks for those stats -- I'll be the first to admit I'm not super intimate with Carolina's personnel. Just on a year-to-year basis I don't see a ton of progression from Lindholm but perhaps his linemate quality is poor. Carolina doesn't have anyone as good as Gaudreau.

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 04:34 PM   #1059
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honestly I think this may work out well...Flames still need more scoring though. If this is it I don't think they are good enough next season
Old 06-23-2018, 04:35 PM   #1060
Owen15
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNotKenKing View Post
Keep them.
I’ve got a signed David Moss for crying out loud - Even wear it every once in a while!

Two bits on the trade:

Personally originally felt we gave up a bit more than I’d hoped, but as more info. comes out, it seems decent. Both pro and con sides need to wait to see how the players mesh before a definitive decision can be made, but IF our ads live up to potential, and IF Dougie and Ferly have reached their potential, we win the trade. Fox is the wild card, and my very limited viewings had my liking his vision and passing, but not wowed by his skating. He was not as much of a standout as I expected him to be when viewing.

I just wished I had a Ferland jersey rather than a Hamilton.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Owen15 For This Useful Post: