Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2017, 09:21 AM   #21
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

LOST for sure. ST:D from the very first episode.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2017, 10:14 AM   #22
LChoy
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have a thing for older spy shows

- Alias after the truth about SD6 is revealed. What made it really good was the balance of mission and CIA counter mission, with a bit of ancient mystery tie in. That all changed after Sydney no longer a double agent

- The original La Femme Nikita - need to rack my brain exactly when it jumped, but definitely trying to do 1 more season made it a complete mess. I would say the first 3 seasons were good, after that it really struggled.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:36 AM   #23
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

House of Cards somewhere around season 3 or 4.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:57 AM   #24
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
I am torn about the insight into bensons personal life, but I think the rest of the show remains awesome.

When and where did they lose you?
This exactly. They are spending way too much time on "Noah"
Old 11-15-2017, 10:59 AM   #25
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

How I Met Your Mother - Started to get a little tired around the 6-7th season. The latter seasons have some gem episodes that IMO make it worth finishing. I also think the finale gets a bit of a bad rap. The beauty and the fault of the show is that you really do have to watch all episodes in order to fully appreciate it.

That 70's Show - They thought the loss of Eric wouldn't impact the show but it really really did. Recently re-watched the show on Netflix and the first 2/3 of the show are awesome.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:28 AM   #26
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Chuck was a fantastic show in the first three seasons, but kinda jumped the shark somewhere in Season 4.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:31 AM   #27
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

I also thought Seinfeld went quite a way down hill after Larry David left the show after Season 7.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:59 AM   #28
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
I also thought Seinfeld went quite a way down hill after Larry David left the show after Season 7.
Really? I thought handing Seinfeld full creative control went quite well.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 12:36 PM   #29
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2017, 12:58 PM   #30
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

If it hasn't already TWD is getting pretty close to jumping the shark. Ratings are plummeting and I have to force myself to watch the episodes now.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 03:33 PM   #31
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Breaking Bad - the train robbery. It was one of my favourite moments in the series, but it was the point where the constant raising of stakes started to detach the show from it's brutalistic roots
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 03:52 PM   #32
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
Breaking Bad - the train robbery. It was one of my favourite moments in the series, but it was the point where the constant raising of stakes started to detach the show from it's brutalistic roots
I'll never agree with that one. I hold Breaking Bad as the best example of a show that was consistently strong from start to finish and was the perfect amount of seasons to tell its story.

Something about the Showtime series as mentioned above. Dexter, Weeds and others all went far past their expiration date of being good shows. They must have a lot of corporate meddling pushing their successful shows to continue. AMC and HBO seem to do a better job of letting the creators end their shows on their own terms.

Although Sons of Anarchy definitely jumped the shark somewhere along the way. Probably when Jax became president. I think that was probably giving too much leeway to Sutter though as he certainly liked to drag things out.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2017, 03:59 PM   #33
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm gonna go with Battlestar Galactica, end of season three: the big reveal of the five cylons, and Starbuck returning from the dead with a map to earth. I never bothered to watch season four.

The Wire had a fall from its heights in season 5 with the painfully dumb plot of McNultey faking a serial killer.

The Troi - Worf romance on Star Trek TNG was classic jump the shark material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makarov View Post
House of Cards somewhere around season 3 or 4.
Interesting that jumping the shark is pretty much an American TV phenomenon. British TV shows (Fawlty Towers, House of Cards, the Office) tend to sustain their high quality for 2-4 seasons, then get out on top. American networks prop up dying shows for years and years after the rot sets in.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2017, 04:05 PM   #34
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Castle - not even sure if I could pinpoint the specific shark jumping episode, but right around Season 5, either Recoil, Target, or the season finale; Watershed.

Although I'm sure an argument could be made that it jumped shortly after the departure of Captain Montgomery.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2017, 04:32 PM   #35
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
I hold Breaking Bad as the best example of a show that was consistently strong from start to finish and was the perfect amount of seasons to tell its story.
Totally agree with this. Easily one of the best shows ever when it came to maintaining a high level of quality throughout the course of the series. And that final episode was just so damn satisfying. Such a brilliant show.

Last edited by direwolf; 11-15-2017 at 04:34 PM.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 11:55 PM   #36
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Sorry Cap, I have to completely disagree with Buffy. Seasons 6 and 7 were both strong. That show never jumped the shark.

Battlestar jumped the shark during that horrible montage scene where fat Apollo got back into shape in a couple days. From that point on it had far more bad episodes than good.

I thought Breaking Bad wobbled a bit in the last season, but overall remained strong all the way. As an aside, I feel that it might not be as good as Better Call Saul, which is insane!

Oz jumped the shark HARD at some point. I haven't watched it in a really long time, but the later seasons are quite terrible. The first few were amazing stuff though.

Agree that both Weeds and Dexter went one season too long. And both had terrible final episodes. They're lucky Lost set an all time low for final episodes, or they would get bashed a lot more than they do.

Speaking of Lost, I'm not sure it really jumped the shark. The complete betrayal that was the final season, and especially the final episode, needs a different term. I keep hoping that digital editing technology will get to the point where a talented writer and editor can take the footage that is out there and recraft the last season and complete it in a way that makes sense and does justice to the some of the brilliant overall ideas and characters.

Sopranos also jumped the shark, at least for me, at some point. I think after season 5 maybe? I can't remember the exact point and haven't watched the series since it was originally airing.

Also kind of agree about the Wire. The last season wasn't as good as the earlier ones. But the last season was still better than 90% of everything else ever made, so it should probably get a pass.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 07:11 AM   #37
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's no doubt Breaking Bad's last season wasn't of the same quality as it's predecessors but the decline wasn't nearly as sharp as a lot of shows.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 07:54 AM   #38
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Really? I thought handing Seinfeld full creative control went quite well.
Agreed. The only down points during it's entire run were parts of Season 1 when the show was still trying to find it's legs, and the Finale. Everything in between was gold, Jerry!
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2017, 08:38 AM   #39
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

The train robbery was my favorite episode of Breaking Bad.

Under the Dome started out good and went downhill quickly.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:02 AM   #40
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

lest we forget that the series climax of BB was a robot gun in the trunk of a car killing all the bikers and freeing our heroes.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Matata For This Useful Post: