Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-25-2017, 12:35 PM   #661
Bownesian
Scoring Winger

Exp:

There's a CF-104 at the Military Museum on Crowchild, seems to me.
Bownesian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 12:43 PM   #662
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bownesian View Post
There's a CF-104 at the Military Museum on Crowchild, seems to me.
Yeah in the new hangers, they have a hornet, a 104 and a 86. In the navy exhibit they have a Banshee naval fighter.

If you go into the army exhibit and look close enough there's a picture of the Captain from nearly 30 years ago and quite a few pounds

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 11:00 AM   #663
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

High readiness or high risk duty allowances are reduced if a soldier is injured or sick for more then 180 days, and can be retroactively clawed back.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/allowan...tion-1.3671636

Quote:
A controversial new policy is causing anxiety for some members of the Canadian Armed Forces who risk losing monthly allowances they receive for high readiness and high risk duties.
Such salary top-ups will now be terminated if personnel are sick or injured and cannot return to active service after more than 180 days, as CTV’s Mercedes Stephenson first reported Wednesday.
“Why would you take away monies that their family relies upon as part of their income when they're at their most vulnerable, when they're broken and trying to mend,” said veterans advocate Mark Campbell.

Under this new policy, Canada’s most elite commandos could stand to be docked more than $23,000 over six months. But the new rules also apply to more than just Special Operations Forces members -- injured or ill soldiers and sailors could take a hit of almost $5,000 while for air crews, $3,700 is at stake.
“It may in some cases mean that people hide their injuries and not come forward because they want those additional funds to be there for their families and themselves,” said Phil Ralph of Wounded Warriors Canada.
Quote:
lthough the policy took effect on Sept. 1, the Department of National Defence has been slow to roll it out. But because the policy is retroactive, allowances already paid will be clawed back.

Old 11-10-2017, 12:04 PM   #664
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
High readiness or high risk duty allowances are reduced if a soldier is injured or sick for more then 180 days, and can be retroactively clawed back.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/allowan...tion-1.3671636
If I’m understanding the article correctly it’s a terribly stupid move by the government. So a CSOR or JTF2 operator gets injured in a training op or on deployment and they get docked pay???
Zulu29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 12:10 PM   #665
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Yup.

in a nut shell, and because of the way they set it up, they can claw back on pay as well.

Beyond that Veteran affairs is still a shyte show as well, this government like previous governments sucks at taking care of veterans, they all talk a big game but really make a hash of it.

In the case of the allowance, its a outright heartless move.

Old 11-10-2017, 12:40 PM   #666
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yup.

in a nut shell, and because of the way they set it up, they can claw back on pay as well.

Beyond that Veteran affairs is still a shyte show as well, this government like previous governments sucks at taking care of veterans, they all talk a big game but really make a hash of it.

In the case of the allowance, its a outright heartless move.
Its going to encourage soldiers to continue working while injured rather than seeking the proper treatment for their injuries. Stupid stupid stupid decision by the government. Totally heartless as you said.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:44 PM   #667
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Its also going to hasten the people that might have stayed in the military but are going to leave because the government doesn't give two poops.

Its also going to impact recruiting.

Old 11-10-2017, 12:53 PM   #668
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Clawbacks are absolutely not fair, but why should someone receive a bonus when they can't perform the duty that the bonus is for?

What am I missing?
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 12:59 PM   #669
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

What is the point of having a military if you can't abuse it's members.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 01:38 PM   #670
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
Clawbacks are absolutely not fair, but why should someone receive a bonus when they can't perform the duty that the bonus is for?

What am I missing?
If they're injured training for that deployment or injured on that deployment how is that fair.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2017, 02:02 PM   #671
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post

What am I missing?
They should receive the bonus for the position they’re in because in many cases it’s taken years to hone their craft through training and operations. They are paid these bonuses for the knowledge and skills they have acquired over the years. Why should that be taken away from them because they were injured? How does that do anything to attract and retain people to do these types of jobs?
Old 11-10-2017, 06:43 PM   #672
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

No. They are paid allowances for hazards, being on alert, etc. The military pay structure has base salaries for trades and then allowances for special qualms and circumstances. A pilot on flying duty receives an allowance. A pilot flying a desk does not. There is extra pay when in the field, etc.

If it’s an allowance and you aren’t doing the duty you shouldn’t get it. Does your boss give you travel pay when you’re at home?

Bad example.

I get what you guys are saying but then just raise the salaries for the trade and get rid of the allowance structure.

I know how allowances work. I did my time. No business pays bonuses to people who don’t qualify and if you are injured and on light duties but not able to actovate that sucks but there needs to be a limit.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2017, 08:54 AM   #673
Mightyfire89
And I Don't Care...

Exp:

Nm

Last edited by Mightyfire89; 11-11-2017 at 10:14 PM.
Mightyfire89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 11:12 AM   #674
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The Auditor General suggests that the Royal Military College (RMC) is not an effective institution.

http://www.oag-bvg.gc.ca/internet/En...6_e_42671.html

- Costly Royal Military College falling down in training leaders.

- RMC costs twice as much as other universities.

- RMC turns out graduates lacking in military education and leadership skills.

“The academic environment at the college does not consistently support the teaching of military conduct and ethical behaviour,” Auditor General Michael Ferguson said.

“The college must re-establish its focus as a military training institution, so that it can produce the leaders the Canadian Armed Forces require,” he said.

Yet the Royal Military College (RMC) comes at a steep price tag. The Auditor General report concluded that the college is the “most costly way” to educate future military officers; it costs some $40,000 more a year than a civilian university does, the report found.

Senior officers begin a review today at RMC.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:36 AM   #675
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Yeah, I heard that, they need to reform the school and get it back to its original mandate which is to train skilled military LEADERS.

Old 11-22-2017, 09:27 AM   #676
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, I heard that, they need to reform the school and get it back to its original mandate which is to train skilled military LEADERS.
There has been no significant change to the RMC program that I am aware of, but now it doesn't work?

In my cynical view of these things - based on years of observation of new recruits (officer and NCM) - the change has been in the students.

The reality is that RMC does not produce better officers than the other commissioning programs such as DEO, CFR, OCTP and ROTP at Civy U. Professionally, I haven't noticed any difference. Academically? I can't judge. So, the question to me is whether it is worth spending the money to keep RMC. It seems to me that the smarter way to spend the money on subsidized education is to send an officer cadet to Civy U.

I suspect, though, that not much will become of this, other than to post a few more senior officers to RMC to serve as mentors. The Powers That Be regard a university education (especially if it is from RMC) as some sort of Holy Grail of achievement. This shouldn't come as any surprise as the Old Guard RMC Alumni are the ones making these decisions and they will circle the wagons and ensure nothing much happens.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:41 AM   #677
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ah ####.

http://www.macleans.ca/politics/otta...kraine-border/

Quote:
The strangest thing began to happen this autumn: signs of Canadian support for an international peacekeeping mission in Eastern Ukraine.
Also sweet pic:

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2017, 10:18 AM   #678
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure if this has been covered somewhere here, but reading a CBC article about NK and the Feds dusting off the old Cold War evacuation procedures.

The article references are mostly about the bunker in Carp Ontario, but causally mentions another deep underground complex in Calgary,since decommissioned. Somewhat surprised me as I’d never heard about there being such a main strategic command here.

A very brief Google search didn’t bring much up to me, stuff in the Bow Valley was the main one. Anyone here have more insight?

I assume it is or was on the CFB Calgary site? With all the development there the last 15 years or so (though it’s not all been developed, which one could deduce as to where it actually does still exist well below the ground), is it even at all potentially operational?

Last edited by browna; 11-30-2017 at 10:20 AM.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 10:26 AM   #679
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

They may be talking about the bunker just south of the Winter Club.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 10:33 AM   #680
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Never mind, sounds like I may have been mislead. That is a water reservoir, not a bunker.

There is the Emergency Operations Centre by Rotary Park on Centre though. That one is real! Not really underground though.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote