Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2017, 10:50 AM   #181
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Eh, I dunno...

The show is to... mild? I can't think how to better describe it. The jokes aren't quite funny enough and the space drama isn't quite engaging enough. It's a show I really want to like but it can't quite elevate itself to must see TV.

I really wish they'd drop the modern day references. The watching Seinfeld on the viewscreen, the singing modern songs at Karaoke, giving video of "Real Housewives" to the alien zoo.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:50 AM   #182
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
The show is to... mild? I can't think how to better describe it.
I agree it's mild. But to me, that's part of the appeal. Peak TV has enough intensely emotional melodrama, enough scathing cringe-comedy, enough life-or-death suspense. Sometimes you just want to watch a mildly diverting TV show that leaves you feeling a little more relaxed and happy by the time it's over. If it's set in space, and has a funny and engaging cast, all the better.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2017, 02:05 PM   #183
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I agree it's mild. But to me, that's part of the appeal. Peak TV has enough intensely emotional melodrama, enough scathing cringe-comedy, enough life-or-death suspense.
Meh, I don't need scathing cringe-comedy... but I want more belly laughs from the jokes. Most of the time they elicit maybe a chuckle.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 02:36 PM   #184
Chingyul
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I agree it's mild. But to me, that's part of the appeal. Peak TV has enough intensely emotional melodrama, enough scathing cringe-comedy, enough life-or-death suspense. Sometimes you just want to watch a mildly diverting TV show that leaves you feeling a little more relaxed and happy by the time it's over. If it's set in space, and has a funny and engaging cast, all the better.
This exactly!
Chingyul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 02:48 PM   #185
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

I for one am looking forward to the mirror universe episode, with Seth McFarlane in an evil goatee commanding a Union warship
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 04:25 PM   #186
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
Meh, I don't need scathing cringe-comedy... but I want more belly laughs from the jokes. Most of the time they elicit maybe a chuckle.
I did literally laugh out loud to this episode, to the point where I had to back up the PVR because I missed some lines. I can't remember doing that with other shows.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 04:30 PM   #187
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I kind of wanted to hate this show after the first episode. The comedy felt really forced in that one. Then I heard great things about it and watched the rest of the episodes.

They've toned down the comedy, added more heart, action and good characters. I'm really enjoying it. It feels like the best of TNG without everyone taking themselves so seriously. Hopefully it has a long run.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 04:46 PM   #188
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love this show, but the writing in the social media/democracy episode was so full of s**t. A society at that level of technology would have detected the Orville in orbit. There are thousands of satellites in orbit of Earth today, and I don't see how their level of social media/internet would work without them. Even basic things like radar for aircraft (which based on the diversity of their cities they have to have) would have detected the uncloaked shuttle leaving the planet). And also why people allowed others to touch their chests? I'd be smacking fools left and right.

And the guy who plays John Lemar did the best he could with an awful creative idea and dialogue. Nobody could of saved that dialogue. I do agree with the poster who pointed out they missed a big chance to grow his character with even a small lesson in humility.

The most recent episode (which really felt more like a Halloween show to me) was excellent.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 04:48 PM   #189
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
I love this show, but the writing in the social media/democracy episode was so full of s**t. A society at that level of technology would have detected the Orville in orbit. There are thousands of satellites in orbit of Earth today, and I don't see how their level of social media/internet would work without them. Even basic things like radar for aircraft (which based on the diversity of their cities they have to have) would have detected the uncloaked shuttle leaving the planet). And also why people allowed others to touch their chests? I'd be smacking fools left and right.

And the guy who plays John Lemar did the best he could with an awful creative idea and dialogue. Nobody could of saved that dialogue. I do agree with the poster who pointed out they missed a big chance to grow his character with even a small lesson in humility.

The most recent episode (which really felt more like a Halloween show to me) was excellent.
Okay, I dont disagree on any particular point but lets also understand that this is season 1.

Go back and watch Season 1 of almost any show you can name and it'll have it's warts.

And at the same time this show is blazing a path through uncharted territory.

It wasnt perfect, and if people are looking for imperfections they're there and can be found. But overall its good for what it is.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2017, 04:51 PM   #190
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Okay, I dont disagree on any particular point but lets also understand that this is season 1.

Go back and watch Season 1 of almost any show you can name and it'll have it's warts.

And at the same time this show is blazing a path through uncharted territory.

It wasnt perfect, and if people are looking for imperfections they're there and can be found. But overall its good for what it is.
I think the social media episode is actually a failure. It didn't have warts. It had diarrhea and hemorrhoids at the same time as far as the sloppy sloppy writing went. Even the first three episodes which weren't so good didn't actually "fail" as far as writing/creative direction.

Black Wesley Crusher is annoying.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 04:48 PM   #191
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

The humour in this show has been secondary to what its about, but has really tickled my funnybone at times. For those on the fence picking it up, here are some clips of some of the humour the show has. There are many other reasons to watch this, but these clips crack me up even more watching again and after understanding the characters better.

Episode 2: Member of a very masculine race (all male race, sort of), asks for leave of duty to lay an egg:

Spoiler!

Episode 5: Practical joke on robot:

Spoiler!

Episode 5: Robot retaliates with a practical joke:

Spoiler!

Episode 7: Making fun of current fashion:

Spoiler!

Episode 8: Parenting. Robot suggest vaporizing kids:

Spoiler!

Episode 9: Bortus about to karaoke to Celine Dion:

Spoiler!

Episode 9: Blob tries to seduce the Dr.:

Spoiler!

Last edited by Kjesse; 11-22-2017 at 06:21 PM.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 09:25 PM   #192
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

"Should we tell them their god is a 20th century car rental company?"

lol. The car rental jokes were fantastic. Good episode.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2017, 07:48 PM   #193
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you are on Shaw and PVR the early showing while watching the game(or not watching...) the Orville feed is screwed too. You might want to PVR the 10:00pm one on channel 203 I think.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 07:49 PM   #194
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

or A channel, thanks for the heads up

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 11:08 PM   #195
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Really enjoyed that episode and it was nice to see a John centered episode.

The two dimensional universe was really well done, and the effects team continues to do a great job on this show.

You know what I like about this show? First of all, it just seems to have a ton of heart to it. Second at first I thought it was a spoof of Star Trek, but its almost like a salute to the Star Trek that we all remember.

Some nice humor but really strong writing and dialogue and I continue to really like Isaac.

Old 12-01-2017, 10:50 AM   #196
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another enjoyable episode last night. I'm a little bummed that it's the season finale already next week. Didn't realize it's only 12 episodes.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2017, 11:09 AM   #197
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Loved that Isaac saw Gordon as a pet.

Pets him "Are we bonding now?"

Old 12-01-2017, 10:54 PM   #198
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I've been watching the Orville and DS9 simultaneously and I only just tonight realized the doctor is also Sisko's girlfriend? Wtf is wrong with me?
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 11:40 PM   #199
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Another enjoyable episode last night. I'm a little bummed that it's the season finale already next week. Didn't realize it's only 12 episodes.
I thought that this was it, no more episodes. Something to do with the schedule? This was the season finale?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 11:56 PM   #200
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I thought that this was it, no more episodes. Something to do with the schedule? This was the season finale?
Next week's is the season finale. It's the 12th of 13 episodes that have been produced, but the 13th will be held for airing next season.