Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2010, 01:39 PM   #101
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temporary_User View Post
Thanks Ah123. That did work.

Making playlists is the best!
Road trips especially that will be invaluable.
I actually think making playlists on my phone is now easier than in itunes on my computer.
Ive been wanting this on Ipods forever. Total control over playlists, you can even go back and re-arrange track orders if you want. No more having to sync up to itunes to create one. Works well on the iphone.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 02:03 PM   #102
GrrlGoalie33
First Line Centre

Exp:

Re: the data issue...I had the same thing, I restored from the backup that the update did and I lost all data access, wifi was fine. Now I was jailbroken, so that may have been the issue.

Basically, restore your phone again, but this time do it as a new phone. It totally sucks, but atleast you get data back again.
GrrlGoalie33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 02:05 PM   #103
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
Two months, but developers were only allowed to submit binaries built with OS4 when the GM seed came out (about 10 days prior to the general release). As such, there's probably a queue of them that haven't been approved yet.
right. so G4's whining like a teenager who didn't get to go to the party ends once the apps are approved...what kind of timeline are we looking at here?
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 02:27 PM   #104
Roast Beef
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankster View Post
Re: the data issue...I had the same thing, I restored from the backup that the update did and I lost all data access, wifi was fine. Now I was jailbroken, so that may have been the issue.

Basically, restore your phone again, but this time do it as a new phone. It totally sucks, but atleast you get data back again.

There is a new option to turn off data access only. Because you were jailbroken that might have been turned off by default.
Roast Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 03:46 PM   #105
Flaming Choy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Gizmodo has an article showing that the 3G upgraded to iOS4 runs slower then on 3.1.3. Does anyone else with a 3G have similar experiences, or has the new OS been generally faster/the same?

http://gizmodo.com/5569969/iphone-3g...ld-off-on-ios4
Flaming Choy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 04:15 PM   #106
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Endgadget's iPhone 4 review already up:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/22/iphone-4-review/

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 04:37 PM   #107
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames0910 View Post
right. so G4's whining like a teenager who didn't get to go to the party ends once the apps are approved...what kind of timeline are we looking at here?
It depends on the application support, but imagine that 25% of the apps currently on the store submitted on the first day available: 56,250 apps in the queue. Some will get priority for review, but that's a lot of apps to review for Apple.

So if your app is one of the remaining 191,250 apps, then.. big surprise, it doesn't work right away as Apple expects. And given more thought on the matter, Apple doesn't know anything about the state of your application, so it has to be up to the developer to know that.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:46 PM   #108
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Choy View Post
Does anyone else with a 3G have similar experiences, or has the new OS been generally faster/the same?

http://gizmodo.com/5569969/iphone-3g...ld-off-on-ios4
I was surprised to read that. The speed on my 3G has improved and I find that there's less of a lag when tying text messages.

The only real slowdown I found was with iBooks. It's very slow and something I'm not interested in using until the speed improves. Of course, the 4 will probably be available by then and I'll move on to that.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 04:55 PM   #109
Flaming Choy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
I was surprised to read that. The speed on my 3G has improved and I find that there's less of a lag when tying text messages.

The only real slowdown I found was with iBooks. It's very slow and something I'm not interested in using until the speed improves. Of course, the 4 will probably be available by then and I'll move on to that.
My initial thought was they maybe they just upgraded rather then restored, so there could be a lot of extra junk in their install.

Glad to hear not everyone has it slowing down.
Flaming Choy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 05:36 PM   #110
kyuusei
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Friend of mine said doing a backup for her 3G took fourteen hours. Yeesh.

I'm reading Engadget's review and... since the 3GS price dropped, I was going to bother Rogers to let me upgrade from my not-an-iPhone to that. I think I'll hold out for the 4 instead. =P
kyuusei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 06:40 PM   #111
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
No slowdowns here at all on my 3G. In fact, I find the whole thing running faster than it ever has.
OilKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 06:41 PM   #112
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
It's Gizmodo (Gawker). Find another review. It doesn't matter if it's positive or negative, just as long as you can trust it.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 08:47 PM   #113
Temporary_User
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yep I officially hate multitasking (have I stated this enough?). It really needs to be a system that lets you hand select which apps stay open and which fully close automatically.
I don't need messages, phone, contacts, etc. stuck at the bottom. You eventually get 10+ apps open at the bottom and then it takes longer to get to the ones that you actually need/use multitasking with.

Also I ran into some kind of bug. I ended a phone convo by pressing end call. after a couple minutes I went to my clock app to set my alarm and the top of the screen was showing the "click to go back to phone conversation" bar. Gave me a scare of "what all did I say in the last few minutes" sort of like a pocket dial. The convo wasn't still going tho hence the bug.
(for those that didn't know, the phone has always allowed multitasking)

Temporary_User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:08 PM   #114
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

For the apps at the bottom, you don't have to go through the multitasking bar to get back to your app do you? Just run it again from the icon, I would bet that it has the same effect as running (resuming) it from the task bar.

As for the click to go back to the phone conversation, I get that every now and then even before updating to v4
Old 06-22-2010, 09:19 PM   #115
amorak
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
It's Gizmodo (Gawker). Find another review. It doesn't matter if it's positive or negative, just as long as you can trust it.
Your Gizmodo slamming is getting ridiculous. You disparage them every time they're mentioned.

They're the only blog that was ballsy enough to go against Apple's PR machine, and right or wrong, I respect them for it. Much more so than those who suckle at the tit of a PR machine, Apple or otherwise.
amorak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to amorak For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2010, 09:20 PM   #116
amorak
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I put iOS4 on the missus' 3G used redsnow to activate multitasking and wallpapers. Runs faster than 3.1.3. She'll get used to multitasking until she gets an iphone4 in July, I figure.

Mail ...Switch...SMS...Switch...PerezHilton.com... switch ...Mail...

You get the idea.
amorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:48 PM   #117
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amorak View Post
Your Gizmodo slamming is getting ridiculous. You disparage them every time they're mentioned.

They're the only blog that was ballsy enough to go against Apple's PR machine, and right or wrong, I respect them for it. Much more so than those who suckle at the tit of a PR machine, Apple or otherwise.
I've said it twice, not every single time they're mentioned.

...and it's a well-documented fact with years of evidence backing it up. Not just with Apple, but with any company that they've had a problem with. They are the tech-industry version of a trash mag.

What you call "balls" other people call "a lack of journalistic integrity."

Edit: I'm not getting into this with anyone, either. So don't even bother. There are people out there who still read the New York Post, too. Good for them.

Last edited by FanIn80; 06-22-2010 at 09:55 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:06 PM   #118
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

We need a way to ignore people who show up in Thanks lists.

Last edited by FanIn80; 06-22-2010 at 10:16 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2010, 10:14 PM   #119
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

For the record, I thanked you getting upset about thanks, not about chilling out more, but you definitely need to do that you sensitive sensitive boy.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:15 PM   #120
Prototype

Exp:

Trying to download it right now... 4 hours, just the download.

(I've restarted my computer, modem and router... no effect.)

Tags
angering fanin80 , apple suxors