Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2010, 09:30 PM   #61
Temporary_User
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Alright I have it downloaded and have been playing around with it a bit.

The positives I had listed remain.
Couple more: I like the few updated icons, and I'm actually surprised how much a background image on the screens makes a difference.

Spell check I was confused on and actually do like it.
Thought they got rid of auto-correct, but they didn't.

I don't like multitasking though. More of a hassle. I don't need most of my apps to remain "running" in the background.
Well see how long, if ever, it takes to to change that opinion.

Temporary_User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:18 PM   #62
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Since I don't have it d/l yet, I don't know about this multitasking. Sounds like it may become more of a hassle having to exit out of each app now. I like just pressing the home screen and being done. I'm also one of the people that doesn't have many apps that will fully or actually utilize multitasking.
You're stuck in a last generation computing paradigm. Don't close the app. It isn't using any memory at all.

note: i don't have an iPhone but that is my understanding of how this is supposed to work.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:19 PM   #63
Roast Beef
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So far the multitasking sucks. It is not nearly as user friendly as the jailbroken multitasking. I should be able to select per app which one i want to "run" in the background. It should let me know what apps are running in the background without me having to pull up a "taskbar." Apple's solution is just plain clunky and pretty much useless compared to backgrounder. If you are switching between different apps in a few minutes you will have 5-10 apps in the background that don't need to be. I like the way the folders work but I hate that it is limited to 12 apps per folder. Once again a jailbroken phone is superior in that aspect, even though it has it's own limitations and problems. Love the screen lock, it should have been there from day one. Playlists are great as well and something that should have been there years ago.

Overall its another incremental update that does not address things that should have been standard since 2007. At this rate Apple will be at a 2007 level of features by the time iPhone 15 arrives in 2020.
Roast Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:07 PM   #64
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm just about to install this new OS and I'm already beyond pissed that I won't have multitasking. It's infuriating.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:34 PM   #65
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roast Beef View Post
So far the multitasking sucks. It is not nearly as user friendly as the jailbroken multitasking. I should be able to select per app which one i want to "run" in the background. It should let me know what apps are running in the background without me having to pull up a "taskbar." Apple's solution is just plain clunky and pretty much useless compared to backgrounder. If you are switching between different apps in a few minutes you will have 5-10 apps in the background that don't need to be. I like the way the folders work but I hate that it is limited to 12 apps per folder. Once again a jailbroken phone is superior in that aspect, even though it has it's own limitations and problems. Love the screen lock, it should have been there from day one. Playlists are great as well and something that should have been there years ago.

Overall its another incremental update that does not address things that should have been standard since 2007. At this rate Apple will be at a 2007 level of features by the time iPhone 15 arrives in 2020.
Ugh. This is not great news. I don't like backgrounder at all. Half the time I can't remember if I've enabled it for an app, and the only way to figure it out is to toggle it to on or off, which wouldn't be a problem if it didn't close the app regardless.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:35 PM   #66
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post
I'm just about to install this new OS and I'm already beyond pissed that I won't have multitasking. It's infuriating.
Believe me, the 3G isn't powerful enough for the multitasking in iOS4.

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:42 PM   #67
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
So far the multitasking sucks. It is not nearly as user friendly as the jailbroken multitasking. I should be able to select per app which one i want to "run" in the background. It should let me know what apps are running in the background without me having to pull up a "taskbar." Apple's solution is just plain clunky and pretty much useless compared to backgrounder. If you are switching between different apps in a few minutes you will have 5-10 apps in the background that don't need to be.
I'd say that manually specifying persistence levels on an app-by-app basis is more "tech guy friendly" than "user friendly". Double-tapping home and clicking an icon seemed pretty intuitive to me.

Backgrounder features would be better for me, but the overwhelming majority of iPhone users probably don't need or want that level of manual control.

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:24 AM   #68
jeremywilhelm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I don't know how anyone could complain about multi-tasking.
jeremywilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:34 AM   #69
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

I'm going on about 20 minutes just to update to iTunes 9.2, never mind starting the iOS 4 update on my 3GS yet. Want to get to bed...
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 08:07 AM   #70
DrJ
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
Ugh. This is not great news. I don't like backgrounder at all. Half the time I can't remember if I've enabled it for an app, and the only way to figure it out is to toggle it to on or off, which wouldn't be a problem if it didn't close the app regardless.
You can set backgrounder to place a little "circle" thing beside apps that you have running in the background. Backgrounder rarely crashes for me and I love the app. I use it so often that I will hold off on 4.0.
DrJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 08:32 AM   #71
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone else experiencing bluetooth issues? Since I did the update my stereo headset no longer works for music (works for calls though). A quick google search reveals that others have experienced bluetooth problems as well.

First, has anyone else had any problems? Second, do you have a fix? and third, is there a way to go back to iOS3.x?
Old 06-22-2010, 08:48 AM   #72
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Anyone else experiencing bluetooth issues? Since I did the update my stereo headset no longer works for music (works for calls though). A quick google search reveals that others have experienced bluetooth problems as well.

First, has anyone else had any problems? Second, do you have a fix? and third, is there a way to go back to iOS3.x?
No, there is not. The baseband is updated when you update to 4.0 and that means that 3.x is completely out of the question. Believe me, I tried when the first beta came out.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:58 AM   #73
BlackEleven
Redundant Minister of Redundancy

Exp:

Quote:
So far the multitasking sucks. It is not nearly as user friendly as the jailbroken multitasking. I should be able to select per app which one i want to "run" in the background. It should let me know what apps are running in the background without me having to pull up a "taskbar."
From my understand those apps aren't actually "running" in the background. When you click them its not really much different that just clicking the home button and re-selecting an app (ie the way it used to be). Those apps can now subscribe to background services to make them aware of certain events on your phone, however, which they may or may not being doing.

But I'm with you on removing them from the taskbar. I have the stupid calculator in there right now. I opened it once, by accident, and I'd really like to remove it from there as I almost never use it. The taskbar seems to me more like quick access to the apps you use the most frequently, and as such, I'd like to have the ability to remove things from it.
BlackEleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:12 AM   #74
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

For those of you with multitasking, does the Rogers App or FStream work like Pandora did at the keynote?
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:17 AM   #75
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJ View Post
You can set backgrounder to place a little "circle" thing beside apps that you have running in the background. Backgrounder rarely crashes for me and I love the app. I use it so often that I will hold off on 4.0.
You can see it when you're looking at the icon, but often I can't remember if the app I'm using has it enabled or not. I wish you could enable it or disable it without the app shutting down.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:20 AM   #76
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
For those of you with multitasking, does the Rogers App or FStream work like Pandora did at the keynote?
Apps will only work in the background if they're written as such. If the app hasn't updated to support 4.0, then no. The Rogers App uses a network connection, so it can't operate in the background.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:25 AM   #77
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
Apps will only work in the background if they're written as such. If the app hasn't updated to support 4.0, then no. The Rogers App uses a network connection, so it can't operate in the background.

For sakes. So conceptually they'd have to update FStream and I'd have to go back to listen to Fan960 on the LRT while I text?
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:26 AM   #78
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackEleven View Post
But I'm with you on removing them from the taskbar. I have the stupid calculator in there right now. I opened it once, by accident, and I'd really like to remove it from there as I almost never use it. The taskbar seems to me more like quick access to the apps you use the most frequently, and as such, I'd like to have the ability to remove things from it.
You do have the ability to remove things from the task switcher. It works the same way as removing apps from the phone itself. Just tap and hold, then hit the minus sign.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2010, 09:27 AM   #79
BlackEleven
Redundant Minister of Redundancy

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
You do have the ability to remove things from the task switcher. It works the same way as removing apps from the phone itself. Just tap and hold, then hit the minus sign.
Sweet! Thanks!
BlackEleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:39 AM   #80
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I like the new OS. I haven't been very satisfied with my iphone, so for me this is a welcome change.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
angering fanin80 , apple suxors