Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2010, 09:04 AM   #241
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Ok, so reading up on this some more... it appears it's really not that big of a deal at all. This same thing happens to lots of phones, new and old. Even the Robot-Jesus phone has the same issue.

The epiphany I had this morning was the realization that I would have to be a friggin contortionist to actually be talking on the phone while holding it in the exact position required to force the signal loss... not to mention the whole "sweaty hands" thing. Also, since the "dropped call" aspect only happens in places with already low signal strength (New York, for example), I should be fine here in Calgary.

The really interesting thing in all of this is how the amount of attention every single flaw gets from the haters winds up rivaling the hype from the other side of the fence. Which is pretty crazy, when you consider that most of the haters claim they hate the actual hype more than anything else.

(Yes, it's annoying that the issue exists, and I would rather it didn't... but oh well.)

Edit: Also, about the app store thing mentioned above... I've put a lot of thought into this. It's really not that big of a deal. There are probably only a handful of apps that I would actually be lost without, and most of them are the default ones... mail, internet, maps, etc. I don't think apps are that big of an argument anymore. I keep downloading new ones, and copying them over to my phone thinking "oh yeah, this is awesome" but I never end up actually using them for anything. It's really just a phone, afterall.

Hmmm... maybe this is my subconscious trying to talk me into getting the iPad...

Last edited by FanIn80; 06-25-2010 at 09:13 AM.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:17 AM   #242
jeremywilhelm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

So, I'm confused.

Does Fanin80 work for Apple?

Why do you think everzealous defense of Apple is gonna do anything but make you seem crazy. I have barely come on this thread at all in the last couple weeks and you are almost every second post, going crazy and posting endless Apple defenses.
jeremywilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jeremywilhelm For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2010, 09:24 AM   #243
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Edit: Forget it. It's not even worth it. From now on, it's zero tolerance. If you piss me off, you're getting ignored. No more games.

Edit: This might seem annoyingly over-dramatic right now, but try to understand that I have been dealing with this crap for over two years. Enough is enough. The good news in all of this, is that the quality of these threads should go up without me constantly fighting back every time I'm poked.

Edit: Removed the mean stuff. It doesn't help the situation when I respond in kind.

Last edited by FanIn80; 06-25-2010 at 09:55 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2010, 09:56 AM   #244
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Robot-Jesus phone?

You do realize that this has nothing to do with Android or Google right?

If an Android phone has this problem, its because HTC, Motorola or someone who designs and manufactures the phone screwed up.

Seriously, you're not helping you cause that much. In fact the last 2-3 pages you've really come across as a fanboi.

Fact is that Apple is having serious problems right now with the launch of their flagship product. And Steve Jobs isn't exactly being smart about handling it either.

I guess I would be pissed too if I were an Apple fan, because a lot of people are going to say screw them now and go with the newer Android phones.

Hell, the Evo 4G is a phone I would never consider buying, and despite its 'small' problems at launch its doing pretty damn well.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:08 AM   #245
jeremywilhelm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Well it seems like you might as well ignore the entire board because it seems like it take nothing at all to piss you off.
jeremywilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:16 AM   #246
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Edit: Forget it. It's not even worth it. From now on, it's zero tolerance. If you piss me off, you're getting ignored. No more games.

Edit: This might seem annoyingly over-dramatic right now, but try to understand that I have been dealing with this crap for over two years. Enough is enough. The good news in all of this, is that the quality of these threads should go up without me constantly fighting back every time I'm poked.

Edit: Removed the mean stuff. It doesn't help the situation when I respond in kind.
Thanks for Pew Pew cat
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2010, 10:23 AM   #247
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Wow, this is a pretty big drop simply with a normal phone holding position (especially if you are typing texts or using the internet). You don't need to have deformed hands or be a contortionist for it to go from full reception bars to no service at all. Again, I'm sure this problem will be rectified. Just don't caught being a first generation adopter.

The 3G's antenna was at the bottom, at a place where normally you wouldn't cover up during normal handling of the phone, it was also encased within the plastic body.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 06-25-2010 at 11:37 AM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:26 AM   #248
Phaneuf3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post

An interesting strategy. I can't imagine the point of a forum where everyone has the exact same opinion and anyone else is put on ignore. Just like the pc/mac holy war that's apparently going on here... to each their own I guess.

(I'm not attacking you directly, just a general comment on forum ignore features and their usage. Ah who am I kidding, I know I'm on your ignore list already so you're not going to be able to read this anyway.)
Phaneuf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:31 AM   #249
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Alright, if someone wants to talk about fanboiism start another thread, it's tiring having every thread get derailed. If you think someone's defense of a product or service or company is flawed, combat the defense itself, not the motivation behind the defense.

Otherwise I'm going to start just moving or deleting off topic posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2010, 10:50 AM   #250
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cyanide & Happiness @ Explosm.net
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Burninator For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2010, 11:00 AM   #251
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

The good news about the iPhone being delayed in Canada is they'll have all these problems figured out by the time it gets here.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:12 AM   #252
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Never ever ever be an early adopter. Let things get sorted out first.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:34 AM   #253
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Wow, this is a pretty big drop simply with a normal phone holding position (especially if you are typing texts or using the internet). You don't need to have deformed hands or be a contortionist for it to go from full reception bars to no service at all. Again, I'm sure this problem will be rectified. Just don't caught being a first generation adopter.
Yeah, that was the flaw in the guy's logic from the article I was reading this morning. He's right about not being able to hold your phone that way when you're on a call... but this "wrong way" of holding the phone sure seems like the normal way of holding the phone when I'm using it for non-call purposes.

I probably could have been clearer about my contortionist comment earlier. I was just talking about while making phone calls.

Hmm. Maybe I'll take a trip down to the Apple store when it releases here and see for myself. If I have to hold it a certain way to avoid losing my data connection while I'm surfing the net or whatever... that would be a problem for sure.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:39 AM   #254
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Should it really matter which way you're holding it?

Seriously, 600,000 people will have a lot of different ways of holding their phone. Telling them they're holding it wrong is pretty stupid.

Either way, regardless of a companies reputation I will never be an early adopter.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:14 PM   #255
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the solution is just to use a case I don't understand what the big deal is.

I would not want to have an iPhone without a case.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:16 PM   #256
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
youtube
OK, this is pretty significant. Although I was curious because Fanin80 mentioned that other phones have this problem too. So I tried my phone. All I've got is a BBerry Pearl, so I picked that up and set it down and was able to lose two bars of reception pretty easily. (from 5 [full] to 3).

Not really sure what to make of that.

Either way, with a late July release, we'll have enough information about the impact this actually has in a real life setting. By then it could even be worked out.

Edit: Read through some of the drama above. Honestly, I think Fanin80 has a point. Apple's products really go under the microscope online where people expose and react to small flaws that would be par for the course from another manufacturer.
I think that if we're being realistic, no company can make a flawless device all the time. Technology is just too complicated, there are too many things that could go wrong. If you're looking to extract some kind of business insight, I think what's important is how you respond (acknowledge there is a problem. fix as fast as you can. make sure you get it right second time around), which is really just good crisis management no matter what industry you're in.

Last edited by Flames0910; 06-25-2010 at 12:26 PM.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:26 PM   #257
Phaneuf3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames0910 View Post
Edit: Read through some of the drama above. Honestly, Fanin80 has a point. Apple's products really go under the microscope online and people expose and react to small flaws that would be par for the course from another manufacturer.
While I agree with what you're saying, the quoted part is very true. Everything apple is a hot topic right now, for whatever reason. The other side of the same coin though is that people react, celebrate and deem magical small features that are par for the course from another manufacturer.
Phaneuf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:32 PM   #258
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaneuf3 View Post
While I agree with what you're saying, the quoted part is very true. Everything apple is a hot topic right now, for whatever reason. The other side of the same coin though is that people react, celebrate and deem magical small features that are par for the course from another manufacturer.
yeah, definitely. everything (good or bad) goes under the microscope.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:34 PM   #259
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

this is funny:

good way to let people try a new feature though
Old 06-25-2010, 12:37 PM   #260
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames0910 View Post
this is funny:

good way to let people try a new feature though
Yeah, I saw that earlier. I'd feel pretty awkward phoning up Apple to test a new feature on my phone... especially if it's video conferencing.

Tags
angering fanin80 , apple suxors