Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2011, 12:43 PM   #1
hungryhun
Backup Goalie

Exp:
Default Help with my Airport Express!

Hi all,

I'm having some trouble printing through my airport express after purchasing a new printer and I'm looking for some help. A bit of background...
My old printer died on me, so I purchased the exact same one to replace the old one. Everything was properly configured and working fine prior to this.
-I have a Mac and a PC on my home network both connecting wirelessly to my router.
-My AE is hooked up to my router through ethernet.
-My printer is hooked up to my AE also through ethernet.
-I can print to my new printer from my Mac with no issues, and my Mac sees the AE no problem.
-I reinstalled the printer drivers on my pc.
-I tried adding printer through control panel and manually entering my AE's ip address.
-Tried to print test page from my pc and nothing works.
-Tried adding printer using Bonjour and it can't find printer.

Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong? Nothing has changed with my router configuration and I've reached the point where I am pulling out what little hair I have left!

TIA!
hungryhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:51 PM   #2
ah123
First Line Centre

Exp:

Try assigning a static IP address to the printer and then enter that IP address when adding the printer in control panel. That's all I can think of right now.

Good luck!
ah123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:53 PM   #3
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

type \\<your printers IP address> into Windows Explorer (what opens when you click "My Computer" or "Computer". For example \\192.168.0.101

Your printer should show up, then right click and click connect from the context menu

edit: If this doesnt work then the printer probably isnt shared properly or the IP address isnt correct - check it by doing a network settings printout.

Last edited by Rathji; 08-30-2011 at 01:03 PM.
Rathji is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rathji For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2011, 01:03 PM   #4
hungryhun
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
type \\<your printers IP address> into Windows Explorer (what opens when you click my computer. For example \\192.168.0.101

Your printer should show up, then right click and click connect from the context menu

edit: If this doesnt work then the printer probably isnt shared properly or the IP address isnt correct - check it by doing a network settings printout.
This worked! Fantastic! Many thanks...only wish I'd asked sooner!
Old 08-30-2011, 01:24 PM   #5
hungryhun
Backup Goalie

Exp:

actually it didn't work quite as well as I thought...the printer is now in control panel, I can successfully print a test page, but when I try to print a document from quickbooks, it shows up in the list of available printers, but nothing prints...it is not going into the print queue....
Old 08-30-2011, 01:39 PM   #6
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungryhun View Post
actually it didn't work quite as well as I thought...the printer is now in control panel, I can successfully print a test page, but when I try to print a document from quickbooks, it shows up in the list of available printers, but nothing prints...it is not going into the print queue....
Do you have multiple printers installed? Like is the old one you installed (that didnt work) still there and you used it by mistake?
Old 08-30-2011, 01:54 PM   #7
hungryhun
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Do you have multiple printers installed? Like is the old one you installed (that didnt work) still there and you used it by mistake?
nope...and I deleted any old ports that had been assigned to my printer under the print server properties...
Old 08-30-2011, 06:10 PM   #8
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

i would be trying printing from another application, like niotepad
Old 08-30-2011, 11:19 PM   #9
CKPThunder
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

What version of Bonjour do you have? Is it the latest? Have you tried running the Bonjour printer wizard to see if it can see and add the printer?
CKPThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:47 AM   #10
hungryhun
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
i would be trying printing from another application, like niotepad
Nope....that doesn't work either. But as mentioned I can print a test page!
This is getting absurd! I do appreciate the suggestions though!
Old 08-31-2011, 06:49 AM   #11
hungryhun
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKPThunder View Post
What version of Bonjour do you have? Is it the latest? Have you tried running the Bonjour printer wizard to see if it can see and add the printer?
I am using the latest version which I DL off the internet....running the printer wizard just says No Bonjour Printers are available. The only thing I can click on is cancel....