Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2022, 11:11 AM   #21
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
I am wondering how it's racially motivated and not just drunk a$$holery, too.

In the Instagram story, the 4th slide said that they THINK it's because he was wearing a turban, but then also claims that their "little cousin" was there and witnessed the whole thing and it's "1000% racially motivated". But...no on is saying why or how.

It's quite unfortunate though, and I hope he heals up quickly.
Ya very one sided story so far. Even if they were racist who just pushes an old guy for no reason in a public place where you will be immediately caught and lose hundreds of dollars.

Either half a story or these couples are psychos.

Last edited by DJones; 05-17-2022 at 11:13 AM.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 11:13 AM   #22
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkMasterFlame View Post
This right here. Spreading pictures of random people on social media and declaring them guilty of a racist assault doesn't make it true, and its also not very smart as it could possibly leave them open to lawsuits if it can be proven not to be true.

File a police report and let them handle it.
I'm sure the police are looking into it, as is Saddledome security.

Unreported racist incidents still dwarf the off-chance of a false claim.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 11:14 AM   #23
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Whatever happened there, this is such a sad thing for someone to experience (at his first Flames game too).
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 11:18 AM   #24
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_only_turek_fan View Post
I am really worried about the next two weeks. Could be a lot of violence especially mixed with booze.
I fully expect Alberta's reputation to be dragged through the mud pretty severely over the next 2 weeks.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2022, 11:19 AM   #25
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seems that this kind of crap is not the first time this has happened at the Dome. Rather than posting on social media to get judged on, this should actually go to the police. Social judgement (and shaming) is pathetic at it's best because people take sides without full knowledge of the actual events or the subject matter. Then, sides are taken and then facts get twisted.
CSharp is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSharp For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2022, 11:20 AM   #26
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Weird situation (it happened in the stands but they took photos of them while on the concourse?), but obviously unacceptable.
My guess is that they contacted security after the fact, and the concourse pics were pulled from security video. If the knee injury required medical attention, there would almost certainly be an incident report filed, and the tapes would be automatically pulled. The pair is somewhat distinct looking (especially the woman's hair), so wouldn't be too hard to ID them going into the section where the incident took place.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 11:23 AM   #27
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningSteel View Post
Despicable. Those are super clear pics, someone will ID them.
I didn't see the pics of the event. Just the victim.

ETA: Never mind - don't know how to work slides
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 11:23 AM   #28
tony-soprano
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Feel like some people around them would have witnessed something? Or intervened as an elder was being assaulted. But after reading through some of the abuse/harassment young female employees at the Saddledome face..

Spoiler!
tony-soprano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 11:25 AM   #29
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I didn't see the pics of the event. Just the victim.
It took me a bit to see it as I don't use instagram, but if you click on the little arrows on the side of the first photo, you can move through the slides. The 3rd photos shows the people being accused (but not the incident).
Old 05-17-2022, 11:25 AM   #30
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
My guess is that they contacted security after the fact, and the concourse pics were pulled from security video. If the knee injury required medical attention, there would almost certainly be an incident report filed, and the tapes would be automatically pulled. The pair is somewhat distinct looking (especially the woman's hair), so wouldn't be too hard to ID them going into the section where the incident took place.

In the instagram post, the poster says his sister is the best, took the pictures on her phone, and they tried to take her phone away
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2022, 11:28 AM   #31
cdnsir
Farm Team Player

Exp:

This is a very one-sided story. Please reserve judgement as their are plenty of claims but limited facts.
cdnsir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 11:30 AM   #32
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Eff them. No place for that sort of thing today.

When I see these things I just have to remind myself that these are the few rotten apples in a sea of at least half civilized people.

I do feel there was more solidarity and camaraderie across the fanbase when we had the '04 run though, and those attitudes were not as frowned upon then.

Last edited by djsFlames; 05-17-2022 at 11:34 AM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 11:33 AM   #33
Big Erned Nevergivn
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Purposefully pushing someone in a stadium, is despicable and dangerous regardless of motive. This story is really one sided and I really hope it wasn't actually racially motivated as that would be horrible for the victim and reflects poorly Calgary as a whole.

Someone accidently bumping into a guy who happens to be brown, resulting in an injury can easily turn into a hate crime from someone's perspective very quickly. There just isn't enough information right now to vilify the accused.. yet. That being said if racially motivated, fire those people into the sun!
Big Erned Nevergivn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Big Erned Nevergivn For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2022, 11:35 AM   #34
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would also expect much more than a knee injury for an older gentleman who was shoved down stadium stairs/seats.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 11:37 AM   #35
Iceman90
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I don't think people emailing the random Gmail address shown in the Instagram post is the best idea. This should be filed with CPS, and people can follow up with them using the case #.
Old 05-17-2022, 11:37 AM   #36
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been to quite a few games, and anytime that there was any kind of an incident, two things generally happens. The first is that the people around the issue will react. If an older man and his (grand)child are randomly accosted and physically attacked, I'm not sure that they would walk away without some kind of reaction from other fans at the game. The second is that security is usually brought in by fans or ushers to calm the situation and make sure that everyone is alright. People are packed in pretty tightly at a game like this, and this didn't happen in a vacuum.

If someone goes falling two rows, they fell on someone. Over someone else. People were involved in this involuntarily, so I can't help but think that more information is needed here. With such clear pictures of two people now out there, it will be interesting to see where this goes.
Old 05-17-2022, 11:41 AM   #37
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_only_turek_fan View Post
I am really worried about the next two weeks. Could be a lot of violence especially mixed with booze.
Yeah.

My hope is that because both teams have made it past round one that the losing fanbase will take the defeat relatively honorably.

I think a first round clash would've been worse.

Both teams will now at least have something to be proud/happy about that their team accomplished.

But ####... you just never know. With both teams fans sharing the stands. I could see heated moments during the games.

Please be civil and remember that its just a game, folks.

That also means being good about winning too. Don't get up in people's personal spaces to rub it in/pile it on.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2022, 11:46 AM   #38
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

Season tickets more or less since the Corral. As Harry Lime stated, when these types of things happened at games, fans usually pretty quickly help those in need.

I think the claims are poorly written and we are missing some important details. Either way, sounds like this guy was injured, hope he heals fast and comes back to another game. If those two were involved, their photos should help.

Hopefully a Flames insider sees this and reaches out.
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 11:46 AM   #39
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
I've been to quite a few games, and anytime that there was any kind of an incident, two things generally happens. The first is that the people around the issue will react. If an older man and his (grand)child are randomly accosted and physically attacked, I'm not sure that they would walk away without some kind of reaction from other fans at the game. The second is that security is usually brought in by fans or ushers to calm the situation and make sure that everyone is alright. People are packed in pretty tightly at a game like this, and this didn't happen in a vacuum.

If someone goes falling two rows, they fell on someone. Over someone else. People were involved in this involuntarily, so I can't help but think that more information is needed here. With such clear pictures of two people now out there, it will be interesting to see where this goes.
Exactly - if there was a pushing incident, it happened directly in front of at least a dozen other people. And the ushers should have been alerted immediately. And maybe they were, can't tell from this tweet. Let's see some more facts here.

The worst thing about social media is that everyone is an immediate judge and jury, despite not having all the facts.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2022, 11:58 AM   #40
Infinit47
First Line Centre

Exp:

Pretty simple. If it was a racist attack those people should be charged with a hate crime in addition to battery or whatever is warranted. And obviously named from CSEC events for life.

But, there has to be an appropriate investigation first. Luckily there should be tons of witnesses who can confirm what happened.

Pretty aggressive to go public like that if you aren't 100% sure it was racially motivated, so I tend to believe it happened.
Infinit47 is offline   Reply With Quote