Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2018, 01:26 PM   #481
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Picked up God of War, but I'm not getting into it at all. Combat feels super weak and unsatisfying, everytime I'm facing numerous enemies it's a slog and I end up dying several times. Does it get any better later on? Glad I waited for a sale to pick this up instead of at release
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 01:35 PM   #482
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Picked up God of War, but I'm not getting into it at all. Combat feels super weak and unsatisfying, everytime I'm facing numerous enemies it's a slog and I end up dying several times. Does it get any better later on? Glad I waited for a sale to pick this up instead of at release
Combat gets better and some of the puzzles are alright. It's not a perfect game as it's a little restrictive in that you can't overly explore much unless you unlock areas one at a time but I feel combat is one of the best parts of the game. Maybe it's a matter of getting practiced up on the combat.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 01:57 PM   #483
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Git gud?
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2018, 03:27 PM   #484
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Off the bat the combat is basic and unsatisfying, power through it and once you unlock a little bit it really gets fun. For me it was remembering to use abilities as often as possible as I’d fall into the trap of mashing attack and not much else.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 04:57 PM   #485
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not really enjoying AC Odyssey. Could just be the hotel TV but the animations same a tad too jittery and cartoonish for my taste, but I'm willing to guess it's just because it's a cheap TV, or maybe I'm just not used to it on console since I played the last several AC games on PC
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 06:18 PM   #486
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I hated God of War. Couldn't get into it at all. First game in 5 years or more that I gave up on after a few hours. I maybe put 10ish hours into it, gave up, and haven't had any desire to get back to it.

I heard it had a great story, but nothing in the extremely limited plot that I got in the first 10 hours drew me in enough to want to play it more. Combat system was nothing short of awful to me.

I had never played any of the earlier God of War games, so I had no connection to the characters or world at all. Maybe if I did, I would have pushed on and got into it, but coming in cold nothing about the setting or characters intrigued me.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 11:51 AM   #487
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has anyone ever just stopped enjoying video games? Over the past while I just don't care to play.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 11:53 AM   #488
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Has anyone ever just stopped enjoying video games? Over the past while I just don't care to play.

Yea I get burnt out once in a while. I just take a break though and the desire to play comes back eventually.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2018, 11:55 AM   #489
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've had times like that. I think it helps to play a short game or two, something you can finish off in even a few sittings. So many of the big budget games nowadays are so huge and enormous you never feel like you're making any progress, and you just don't feel like playing that much. It can be refreshing to have something you can play and experience and be done with in a week or two, instead of these huge commitments.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2018, 02:36 PM   #490
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default The Video Game Thread v3

Finally bought Deadcells, so much fun.

Quote:
I definitely find days where it feels like a chore and that's okay I guess. Just a sign of needing to change the pace doing something else enjoyable for me.

Last edited by Anduril; 11-25-2018 at 02:38 PM.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Anduril For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2018, 06:30 PM   #491
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

The amount of content in AC: Odyssey is.. staggering..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2018, 07:14 PM   #492
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm definitely experiencing this. I have to force myself to play sometimes and games that 5 years ago I'd put hundreds of hours into I find myself getting tired of after maybe 10. Just can't get Into games much anymore, even ones I really like
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2018, 08:21 PM   #493
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Games have to compete with virtually unlimited tv, movies, music, books, podcasts, and internet for my free time. There’s no such thing as being bored as long as I have any number of devices handy.

And I used to have to save up to buy games so I made sure to squeeze as much out of them as I could. Now I have literally hundreds of games in my steam library I’ve never played. As a result they’re less special.

I still play fairly often but I regularly listen to music or podcasts at the same time.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 08:31 PM   #494
KevanGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
The amount of content in AC: Odyssey is.. staggering..
The history nerd in me hasnt been happier. So many awesome moments and I've barely progressed. I have it set on discovery mode and rarely use the eagle. I tried to do everything I could on Kefalonia before finally setting sail the first time, so immersive.

I had no idea there would be so many historical characters and senerios. I didn't play Origins, in fact this is my first AC game, so I think it's been an even more special experience. Can't recommend it enough, especially if you have even a passing interest in Ancient Greece.

Edit: And just to add to the topic of game fatigue, I find Odyssey is great as a break from other games. Throw it on, play a couple side missions, maybe advance the main one a hit and then play something else. I find it's really kept my interest, hasn't got repetitive (yet?).
KevanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KevanGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2018, 09:24 PM   #495
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

It gets a bit repetitive further in as a lot of the quests are the same (free the prisoner from the fort/castle/whatever which takes 15 minutes to clear trying to be stealthy), but there's enough quests that break out into a full bore mini-plot or a very cool fight that I kinda wish they'd identify those differently as some of them have been really good.

There's no end to the quests I've started to just ignore the timed ones and the smaller ones, the completionist in me crying.

And I've been mostly ignoring the big nation battles because my video card just can't handle them, I get like 5fps, so those have to wait until my PC upgrade arrives.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2018, 08:40 AM   #496
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
I used to play NHL at least once a day, and dabble into other games once a week.

I haven't turned my PS4 on in 8 months.

I think I am broken!
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 08:42 AM   #497
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Games have to compete with virtually unlimited tv, movies, music, books, podcasts, and internet for my free time. There’s no such thing as being bored as long as I have any number of devices handy.

And I used to have to save up to buy games so I made sure to squeeze as much out of them as I could. Now I have literally hundreds of games in my steam library I’ve never played. As a result they’re less special.

I still play fairly often but I regularly listen to music or podcasts at the same time.
This would be an interesting discussion I think. How much has the accessibility to constant stimulation removed our desire to do things we used to enjoy?
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 08:49 AM   #498
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Walmart's Cyber Monday deals suck. No more $50 pre-orders since Amazon crippled Prime, it seems.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 01:15 PM   #499
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevanGuy View Post
The history nerd in me hasnt been happier. So many awesome moments and I've barely progressed. I have it set on discovery mode and rarely use the eagle. I tried to do everything I could on Kefalonia before finally setting sail the first time, so immersive.

I had no idea there would be so many historical characters and senerios. I didn't play Origins, in fact this is my first AC game, so I think it's been an even more special experience. Can't recommend it enough, especially if you have even a passing interest in Ancient Greece.
Oh totally man, all the AC games are like that. They're packed full of actual historical scenarios and they do their best to really recreate the old cities in all their games, this history nerd loves it. Classical Greece is my all-time favourite historical period and I know a lot about it and the Peloponnesian War specifically, so this is really resonating with me.

I was re-reading a book on the Peloponnesian War that I originally read in 2012 to get ready for this one, and the first time I hit the pause menu viewing the map I was so impressed. I compared it to a map in my book and it's just bang on (save for the islands of Lesbos/Chios, and Macedonia all being squeezed in tighter than they actually are to fit it in the game map).

If you're just a gamer that doesn't care about history then I totally understand the flak this series gets, what with the way they pump them out, and previous ones that clearly got pushed out before they were ready (even Odyssey probably needed a couple extra months of polishing, Origins was much more polished - play that next btw). But if you actually love history, they're awesome games for how well they truly recreate their worlds as accurately as possible. They have full time historians on their payroll for jebus sake, in the name of accuracy. It's great eco-tourism...that and Odyssey is just dang fun

Last edited by Sainters7; 11-26-2018 at 01:18 PM.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2018, 04:25 PM   #500
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finally took the plunge on Playstation VR due to the combo of decent black friday sales + shoppers super redemption weekend...and have to say in my limited time with it yesterday I really enjoyed it.

Played the Battlefront VR mission, and some SuperHot VR and it was a lot of fun and really see the potential there.

Now just hope to get Astro Bot for Christmas or that it goes on sale boxing day.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote