Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2020, 06:53 PM   #3301
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Depends if you care about video games as a medium for telling character-driven stories. If you don't care about that, and you don't like stealth survival games, then it's not going to be your cup of tea. I'd give it at least a bit longer though.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 07:47 PM   #3302
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Depends if you care about video games as a medium for telling character-driven stories. If you don't care about that, and you don't like stealth survival games, then it's not going to be your cup of tea. I'd give it at least a bit longer though.
Or, instead of pretentious absolutes, you could be into that aspect but not be into how it's offered in certain games. Or that game mechanics could be interfering with immersion. Or any number of other things that make you dislike a video game.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 07:56 PM   #3303
KevanGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
After all the hype I finally picked up the original Last of Us Remastered for $10. This....is not my kinda game. I'm maybe 3 hours in and I've yet to see why it's fun, entertaining, or as highly rated as it was.

Different strokes, I guess.
I was the same way and only played it a couple hours. I'm not into zombies.
KevanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KevanGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2020, 08:01 PM   #3304
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
After all the hype I finally picked up the original Last of Us Remastered for $10. This....is not my kinda game. I'm maybe 3 hours in and I've yet to see why it's fun, entertaining, or as highly rated as it was.

Different strokes, I guess.
It did start off slow from what I remember
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2020, 08:18 PM   #3305
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevanGuy View Post
I was the same way and only played it a couple hours. I'm not into zombies.
To qualify, this is a big part of it. I knew it was post-apocalyptic, but I didn't know it was zombies. If it wasn't tired in 2014, it's definitely tired now.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Old 12-05-2020, 08:24 PM   #3306
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean, at least it's a somewhat interesting spin on zombies. But sure, that would make a difference.
Quote:
Or, instead of pretentious absolutes, you could be into that aspect but not be into how it's offered in certain games. Or that game mechanics could be interfering with immersion. Or any number of other things that make you dislike a video game.
I wasn't proposing any absolutes, just acknowledging that there are some people who literally could not care about anything in a video game but whether the gameplay is fun from moment to moment. It's also possible, I suppose, that the characters don't resonate for you for some reason. I think they're pretty straightforward and easy to relate to while also being very well executed, so it should be pretty easy for most people to relate to them. The story isn't remotely convoluted, there aren't really any profound, obscure themes or anything, so there's not really anything to be pretentious about. Well, sound design and music, I guess - which, again, is really well done.

But you're only 3 hours in, so maybe it takes a bit longer for you to care. Personally I was pretty much in from the prologue onwards.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 12-05-2020, 08:28 PM   #3307
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

I never looked at them as zombies. They’re humans who had an infection that mutated them.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 09:30 PM   #3308
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I mean, at least it's a somewhat interesting spin on zombies. But sure, that would make a difference.
Yes, the foundation of the narrative was a difference.

Quote:
I wasn't proposing any absolutes, just acknowledging that there are some people who literally could not care about anything in a video game but whether the gameplay is fun from moment to moment.
Quote:
Depends if you care about video games as a medium for telling character-driven stories.
Seems kinda like an absolute statement. "If you won't appreciate Y, you're lost on X", but Y and X are very fluid in storytelling. Maybe even more so for video games. And yeah, I expect gameplay to be entertaining throughout. That should be the fundamental feature.

This reminds me of when I critiqued Fallout 3's inability to teach game mechanics as a flaw, and someone responded "Maybe video games aren't your thing". That's a bit further than what you're putting out there, but still feels the same.

Aside: I actually loved Fallout 3 in the end, and have been hooked on the franchise since. Had to rely on Youtube to teach me the game, though.

Quote:
It's also possible, I suppose, that the characters don't resonate for you for some reason. I think they're pretty straightforward and easy to relate to while also being very well executed, so it should be pretty easy for most people to relate to them. The story isn't remotely convoluted, there aren't really any profound, obscure themes or anything, so there's not really anything to be pretentious about. Well, sound design and music, I guess - which, again, is really well done.

But you're only 3 hours in, so maybe it takes a bit longer for you to care. Personally I was pretty much in from the prologue onwards.
That's fair, but the game did little to grab me from the start. It omitted and stepped over so much of the fundamentals that it left me retrying getting out of the first phase of meeting Ellie (?) that I had no interest continuing.

I can be into character development, I can be into character-driven story, I can be into stealth driven games, but this style of gameplay isn't engaging.

If you are, that's great. I'm jealous. Sounds like an amazing story, but if I have to be told it from this I'm not interested. At all. I can tell early this is a chore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
I never looked at them as zombies. They’re humans who had an infection that mutated them.

-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Old 12-05-2020, 10:12 PM   #3309
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would say if you liked Fallout 3 and it got you hooked on the franchise maybe that guy was right and video games aren't your thing... Bethesda ####ing sucks.

In seriousness, no, I was honestly saying that it's possible to be a big fan of video games and have no interest whatsoever in games that have a story component. Hell, why else would Fortnite be a thing. Different strokes. It was the opposite of an absolute statement - you're allowed to not like stuff other people like.
Old 12-05-2020, 10:38 PM   #3310
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Can the TLOU talk go in a separate thread? It’s dominating the conversation and I want to rant about real video game issues... like how you can’t quit Dragon Quest XI S on PC without using task manager. How does that happen?
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 11:02 PM   #3311
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer;7657892[IMG
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/cf/70/7a/cf707a7c672c59f85f251f42d12497dd.gif[/IMG]
Quote:
The Infected from the video game The Last Of Us are human beings that have been horribly mutated by a parasitic fungus known as Cordyceps Brain Infection. This fungus propagates within the cranium of its victims and destroys their higher brain functions, turning the infectees into savage animals that are extremely aggressive.
I just don't look at that and think the literal term for "zombie" that you say you thought was tired in 2014 which is dead person who comes back to life and wants to eat everything it sees.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 11:41 AM   #3312
uofaflamesfan
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Reviews starting to come out for Cyberpunk 2077.

Generally sounds like a great game but still super buggy even after all the delays.
uofaflamesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 12:17 PM   #3313
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Imagine sitting down to playing a game and taking a few days just to get through the prologue since you only have limited time to play, lol
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 01:35 PM   #3314
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
Imagine sitting down to playing a game and taking a few days just to get through the prologue since you only have limited time to play, lol
Sounds like something that normally happens if you pick up demons souls or dark souls game.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 05:55 PM   #3315
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

I’m almost 3 hours into Yakuza: Like a Dragon and it’s been 2:57 of cutscenes and :03 of gameplay. Aaaaanytime now the game can start. Anytime.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 06:00 PM   #3316
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
I’m almost 3 hours into Yakuza: Like a Dragon and it’s been 2:57 of cutscenes and :03 of gameplay. Aaaaanytime now the game can start. Anytime.
That's about the time I gave up on Yakuza Kiwami when I tried to get into the series. Half the game is sitting watching these characters talk in terrible dialog with a super hamfisted plot. I realized that Japanese games just aren't for me
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 10:37 PM   #3317
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by uofaflamesfan View Post
Reviews starting to come out for Cyberpunk 2077.

Generally sounds like a great game but still super buggy even after all the delays.
There is a 40+ Gig day one patch...makes you wonder what these reviewers are playing. Hopefully mostly fixed on launch.
Old 12-08-2020, 04:52 AM   #3318
BlAcKNoVa
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

What the hell is in a 40+ gigabyte patch? Are they just overwriting 80%-90% of the games files? I've already pre-loaded my game and it's a bit under 60 gigabytes if I remember so that patch seems insanely large lol
BlAcKNoVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 08:04 AM   #3319
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlAcKNoVa View Post
What the hell is in a 40+ gigabyte patch? Are they just overwriting 80%-90% of the games files? I've already pre-loaded my game and it's a bit under 60 gigabytes if I remember so that patch seems insanely large lol
It's not worth it to pre-load games anymore. With day 1 patches and needing to decrypt the preload before that, you're better off just downloading the game in full on release day
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 08:10 AM   #3320
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Hopefully mostly fixed on launch.

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote