Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2019, 11:50 PM   #5901
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'm recording it for later.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 01:41 AM   #5902
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Anybody watch the Last Watch? It was on HBO tonight.

At the reading for the last episode, I guess Kit Harrington never read the script before the table reading. and he just loses it when he finds out he hears that he kills Daenerys.
Conleth Hill reacting to Varys getting killed during the table read was touching as well with Lena Headey and Gwendoline Christie holding his hand afterwards.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2019, 06:46 AM   #5903
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

I liked how they brought decoy actors to Spain to throw off people who were trying to figure out who was going to be involved in the finale.

That would have been a nice little vacation for Harrington and the actors who played the Night King, Jaqen, and the Waif.
Old 05-27-2019, 10:16 AM   #5904
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Conleth Hill reacting to Varys getting killed during the table read was touching as well with Lena Headey and Gwendoline Christie holding his hand afterwards.
Weird take. He actually looked kind of annoyed and pissed off. The Actor has been on record as saying he was not happy with how they handled his character
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 10:33 AM   #5905
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbo View Post
Weird take. He actually looked kind of annoyed and pissed off. The Actor has been on record as saying he was not happy with how they handled his character
I meant the other 2 actors holding his hand was touching.

Last edited by AC; 05-27-2019 at 10:51 AM.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 11:23 AM   #5906
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nice documentary but way too much time on the make-up lady with the squeaky voice and the extra dude.

Thought there would have been much more access to the lead actors and Benioff and Weiss.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 12:32 PM   #5907
holden
Scoring Winger

Exp:

From Reddit : All hail Ser Strongbeard, The Extra, The Giver of Jackets, The Un-killable, The Tour Master, Lord of the Club Sandwich, and Protector of the Memes.
holden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to holden For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2019, 04:56 PM   #5908
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can someone photoshop the Copy Machine on the Iron Throne?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 11:09 PM   #5909
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
I'm one of those that liked it as well.

But why do you say they couldn't have filled it in with more episodes? HBO literally wanted to. Hell, GRRM has said they could have had 13 seasons.

Still not understanding why knowing full well D&D were done after 7/8 seasons since early on, HBO couldn't arrange for successors to continue it so they didn't need to end with such a sprint.

10 seasons would've been the sweet spot. You could end in virtually the same way, but filling out the skeleton with character storylines and a thorough covering of all the moving parts would make the whole thing probably more satisfying to the more disgruntled fans, and more content for the rest of us to enjoy.

Last edited by djsFlames; 05-27-2019 at 11:12 PM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 11:23 PM   #5910
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Watching that documentary, you really get to like Emilia who seems like a really nice genuine girl. She was tearing up at that last wig setting.

Watching Harrington's reaction when he read that he killed Daeny's he looked like he was going to cry.

Also yeah watching Hill when he reached the end of his character, he just looked devastated, probably because he loved playing that character.

Imagine that your only job is to wrangle phony snow.

Old 05-27-2019, 11:31 PM   #5911
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Still not understanding why knowing full well D&D were done after 7/8 seasons since early on, HBO couldn't arrange for successors to continue it so they didn't need to end with such a sprint.

10 seasons would've been the sweet spot. You could end in virtually the same way, but filling out the skeleton with character storylines and a thorough covering of all the moving parts would make the whole thing probably more satisfying to the more disgruntled fans, and more content for the rest of us to enjoy.
Which part of him literally saying:

"All the actors want to get on with playing other roles"

Did you miss?

Look...I love the show. I love the characters, I didnt want it to end either.

But here we are.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2019, 11:47 PM   #5912
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Watching that doc just makes me feel bad for everyone behind the scenes who busted heir asses for 8 seasons, only to have their hard work #### on by people who didn’t like the writing. Make up, set design, costumes, extras etc.

Also that Night King actor seemed hilarious. Hope he’s enjoying his fame.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2019, 10:03 AM   #5913
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Watching that doc just makes me feel bad for everyone behind the scenes who busted heir asses for 8 seasons, only to have their hard work #### on by people who didn’t like the writing. Make up, set design, costumes, extras etc.

For what it's worth, a lot of people mentioned how good the last episodes looked, even those who hated them.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 10:36 AM   #5914
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post

I think it’s a good lesson that poor writing can ruin essentially everything else. Makeup, music, effects, acting etc all outstanding but it doesn’t much matter if the audience just straight up isn’t buying what you are selling
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to neo45 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2019, 11:31 AM   #5915
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's also the unfortunate issue of the Starbucks cup and water bottles that probably aren't such a huge deal if the season didn't seem so rushed in the first place.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 11:39 AM   #5916
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
There's also the unfortunate issue of the Starbucks cup and water bottles that probably aren't such a huge deal if the season didn't seem so rushed in the first place.
I still don't get how that Starbucks cup ended up in there. It's located directly in between Dany and Jon, and the shot was set up with the purpose of seeing Dany's visual reaction to Jon.

Last edited by blankall; 05-28-2019 at 12:33 PM.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 11:49 AM   #5917
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I still don't get how that Starbucks cup ended up in their. It's located directly in between Dany and Jon, and the shot was set up with the purpose of seeing Dany's visual reaction to Jon.
I'm beginning to think that this season was a complete troll-job.

I dont want to believe that because so many people did so much good work, but it seemed rushed, the actors seemed unprepared and it just seemed....not up to its normal standards.

And I dont know why. And I dont believe its because George didnt finish the damned books.

Old 05-28-2019, 11:55 AM   #5918
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I think that the waterbottle for sure was a troll job.

Old 05-28-2019, 02:43 PM   #5919
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post
I think it’s a good lesson that poor writing can ruin essentially everything else. Makeup, music, effects, acting etc all outstanding but it doesn’t much matter if the audience just straight up isn’t buying what you are selling
The costumes actually bothered me in the later seasons. They were beautifully done, but particularly with characters like Dany, Cersei, Sansa and the king's guard it went from stuff that seemed very believable and appropriate in earlier seasons to stuff that was so elaborate in later seasons that it felt out of place. I guess it could be argued as an analogy for the show's slip away from reality and into fantasy.

Overall though, I agree that all of the work done to support the telling of the story was of very, very high quality.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2019, 03:49 PM   #5920
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post

I get that people feel the story was rushed but this season took what, a year and a half to produce? I’m not convinced the production itself was rushed.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote