Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2013, 09:11 PM   #61
jeffman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

For people watching him, does he have the potential to turn into a top 6 power forward? Also, on HF it says he's a right winger, but most sites have him as LW, which is correct?
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:13 PM   #62
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

he can play both, but IIRC he said that he prefered RW
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2013, 09:21 PM   #63
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffman View Post
For people watching him, does he have the potential to turn into a top 6 power forward? Also, on HF it says he's a right winger, but most sites have him as LW, which is correct?
His speed overall is a small notch lower than that of Lombardi but it's not much lower (almost indistinguishable). However, the difference between them is that Poirier's hands function at the same level as his speed.

If his offensive skill transitions well into the NHL, he could easily be a 60+ point winger that's very dangerous due to his wheels. If not he will still be a very useful player in the same manner than Lombardi or Cogliano are on the PK and as a 3rd liner.

If I had to estimate what he should develop into is that of a very good quality top 6 player. I have him as being a similar caliber of prospect in terms of potential as Sven did at the same age. He really is that good, just overshadowed by Monorail Sven and Gaudreau.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2013, 04:37 AM   #64
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
His speed overall is a small notch lower than that of Lombardi but it's not much lower (almost indistinguishable). However, the difference between them is that Poirier's hands function at the same level as his speed.

If his offensive skill transitions well into the NHL, he could easily be a 60+ point winger that's very dangerous due to his wheels. If not he will still be a very useful player in the same manner than Lombardi or Cogliano are on the PK and as a 3rd liner.

If I had to estimate what he should develop into is that of a very good quality top 6 player. I have him as being a similar caliber of prospect in terms of potential as Sven did at the same age. He really is that good, just overshadowed by Monorail Sven and Gaudreau.
You do know Lombardi was an excellent goal scorer as well in Junior? He had 57 goals in his 19-20 year old season.

Just saying.
Wastedyouth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:24 AM   #65
FlamingLonghorn
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
You do know Lombardi was an excellent goal scorer as well in Junior? He had 57 goals in his 19-20 year old season.

Just saying.
But in comparable years Poirier has Lombardi beat quite handily. 60 pts vs. 44 pts. I don't think Poirier plays a 19-20 yr old season.
FlamingLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlamingLonghorn For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2013, 09:29 AM   #66
Husky
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Just saying.
If the Flames drafted "Lombardi" with this pick and develops as Lombardi was developing before the Hatcher elbow...its a solid pick then.

I see Poirier with more upside then Lombardi though.
Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Husky For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2013, 11:06 AM   #67
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffman View Post
Poirier is a RW.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:40 AM   #68
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerSteve View Post
Poirier is a RW.
Yeah, some sites see that he shoots left and erroneously put him at left wing. Some skilled players like playing on the opposite wing as it gives them better shooting angles.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:25 PM   #69
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
only one fight, the rest have been minor penalties.

at VDO - 2 min for cross-checking
at ROU - 2 min for slashing, 5 min for fighting
vs RIM - 2 min for slashing, 2 min for roughing
vs SHA - 2 min for roughing
vs CHA - 2 min for interference
vs QUE - 2 min for checking to the head, 2 min for elbowing
vs VIC - 2 min for checking to the head
at BAC - 2 min for holding, 2 min for hooking

Three games with more than one minor penalty, only one game without spending some time in the penalty box. No idea if those penalties were "bad", but one thing's clear: he sure plays with an edge.
I love this stat line.

Who was the last good legitimate top 9 pest we drafted?
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:30 PM   #70
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
I love this stat line.

Who was the last good legitimate top 9 pest we drafted?
Prust? Nystrom?

No scoring upside with those guys, but they were pesty I think.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:10 PM   #71
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Emile Scoreier...
Old 10-14-2013, 02:14 PM   #72
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just checked the QMJHL scoring and holy smokes is Mantha ever off to a great start. Poirier is looking good improving on last years numbers which is a good sign.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:06 PM   #73
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Just saying.
Yes. Stats aren't everything though. If you have a legitimate top end skill in some regard, you can beat junior goalies. Lombardi did have top end skill in the speed department and he also had decent skill in the other departments. If he didn't have skill, he wouldn't have been drafted or become a solid 3rd liner for almost a decade.

The difference between him and Poirier and him is that Poirier's hands are as good a skill as his speed is, where Lombardi's were average. That's huge as he doesn't have any physical limitations on his ultimate upside. It just depends on how he evolves as a player and whether or not he can take the next step or two in the future.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:47 PM   #74
HighLifeMan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Poirier's upside is a grittier, more offensively rounded Michael Grabner.
If that is the case we could be looking at a 30-35 goal / 65-70 point / 100 PIM top line winger.

That is a salivating possibility. It is no wonder our managerial team was/is so high on this kid.
HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HighLifeMan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2013, 04:28 PM   #75
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Just saying.
Lombardi was an average scorer until his 19 year old season though. In Lombardi's first 3 seasons combined he only had 52 goals and 75 assists. He literally more than doubled his career QMJHL production in his final season. A final season that also saw Lombardi playing with 4 other 90+ point players.

While Poirer who is a mere 10 games into his 3rd QMJHL season has already surpassed Lombardi's goal totals and matched his point production in Lombardi's first 3 years. All that without any high producing offensive talent to play with.

When this year is all said and done, Poirier will have skunked the totals from Lombardi's first 3 years in the Q and do it while playing on a less offensive team.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Alberta_Beef For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2013, 04:58 PM   #76
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
Yeah, some sites see that he shoots left and erroneously put him at left wing. Some skilled players like playing on the opposite wing as it gives them better shooting angles.
Even the Olympiques' website has him listed as a LW.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:59 PM   #77
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Poirier is improving steadily, and will likely get better as the year goes on. Him and Jankowski are my favourite prospects.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flames_fan_down_under For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2013, 08:51 PM   #78
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Even the Olympiques' website has him listed as a LW.
Maybe he plays both but I remember when he was drafted he was said to be a RW. That was one of the reasons said on this site for drafting him instead of Shinkaruk. Other sites such as Hockey's Future list him as a RW and on Elite prospects they have him as RW/LW.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2013, 06:18 PM   #79
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
Downside is a 500+ NHL games played career?

I know I'm being bitchy here, but you gotta get real with your projections on prospects. You were doing the same thing in the prospect poll threads this summer, saying Knight was pretty much a lock to be a quality 2nd/3rd line C, while Klimchuk at worst would be a Lee Stempniak.

Knight, at 23 years old, isn't even a lock to ever play a full season in the NHL, let alone be a quality 2/3 center. The downside of Poirier/Klimchuk is that they never stick in this league, not that they turn out like Lombardi/Cogliano/Stempniak.

30% of the players drafted in the 1st round will never play more than 200 games in the NHL.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Fonz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2013, 06:40 PM   #80
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
Downside is a 500+ NHL games played career?

I know I'm being bitchy here, but you gotta get real with your projections on prospects. You were doing the same thing in the prospect poll threads this summer, saying Knight was pretty much a lock to be a quality 2nd/3rd line C, while Klimchuk at worst would be a Lee Stempniak.

Knight, at 23 years old, isn't even a lock to ever play a full season in the NHL, let alone be a quality 2/3 center. The downside of Poirier/Klimchuk is that they never stick in this league, not that they turn out like Lombardi/Cogliano/Stempniak.

30% of the players drafted in the 1st round will never play more than 200 games in the NHL.
This is why I don't agree when some posters want to trade almost every solid vet we have for draft choices when even first round choices have maybe a 50% chance of being a solid NHL player.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post: