Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2018, 02:29 PM   #21
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
People get excited about the 25,000 MP resolution; and it is impressive, yes. But one needs to take it in context. Firstly, this is not a single-sensor shot, but a panorama combo.

Secondly, modern pro-camera sensors are already 100MP. 250 of those sensors together would produce the same resolution image. To say this is a huge leap forward in spy technology is inaccurate.
I do not see any posts of the following variety:

"holy smokes I can't believe they took a 24.9 billion pixel 360 degree photo using just a single sensor! using no panoramic stitching at all!"

"hide your kids, hide your wife everyone, this is a giant leap forward in spy technology and nobody is safe from Techno-Sauron's omnigaze anymore..."

the point is that this thing is a bucket of fun to play with. don't think a lot of people care that it was probably made with commercially available camera hardware. but anyone who's tried to stitch a bunch of shots together, or used the panorama feature on their phone and discovered that the fabric of reality got horrifically warped knows that making this many shots look like a relatively seamless image is quite the accomplishment.

you're a photographer and you've got pro-grade equipment, maybe you could do a local version of this mega picture and we can ooh and aah at your handiwork.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 02:39 PM   #22
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honest to God, I didn't even mean or wanted to cast a negative light on this image. It is really impressive and I said it!

What happens to a normal conversation about an original post without having to hear labels, accusation, insults thrown around? Someone who's interested in high-res imagery might have responded to my comments and another discussion could have developed. Now they woudln't, because the tone has changed. These forum exchanges become intolerable sometimes...

No need to continue, I suppose.
Old 12-20-2018, 02:49 PM   #23
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is this no longer working?
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 04:08 PM   #24
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
People get excited about the 25,000 MP resolution; and it is impressive, yes. But one needs to take it in context. Firstly, this is not a single-sensor shot, but a panorama combo.

Secondly, modern pro-camera sensors are already 100MP. 250 of those sensors together would produce the same resolution image. To say this is a huge leap forward in spy technology is inaccurate.

Having said that, I do believe a single sensor producing similar results is not impossible and is on the horizon due to the sensor technology going at a pace that's accelerating incredibly fast. I have seen a Samsung video recording taken in the dark at 250,000 ISO without any visible noise (albeit, on screen). And Samsung is not even a big player in the sensor industry yet. Pixel size and pixel sensitivity are being improved almost daily, it seems... There will be both good and bad things coming from this.
I know how they did this bit I still think it’s impressive because they mangaged to stitch together hundreds, if not thousands, of photos with no visible signs of warping due to parallax or ghosting of moving objects. That must have taken a lot of work or a very sophisticated algorithm.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 06:30 PM   #25
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

It's 195,000 MP ... 195 gigapixels ...

24.9 BILLION gigapixels is 24,900,000,000 gigapixels, or 24,900,000,000,000 megapixels and would certainly be impressive.

Side note: it's also not shot by a satellite, despite what the internet might tell you.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 10:47 PM   #26
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Admit it, you were all zooming in on the apartment windows, hoping to catch a glimpse...
BigNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote