Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2018, 12:10 AM   #21
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have been to too many funerals, including both my parents and all grandparents before the age of 40. I just won't do them any more.

I will say this though, I never judged anyone for how they dressed. I remember at my mother's funeral, there were people that came by wearing Carhartts and sweat shirts and I was just honoured that they came.

Don't let your clothing deter you from going. The family will appreciate the gesture no matter what.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:21 AM   #22
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've grown up being around suits and being well dressed ever since I was a little child for formal and semi-formal events. Church, weddings, baptism's, funerals and such. I have been to my fair share of a lot of funerals, some for older people who are family or extended family and some for closer friends or other situations. My rule of thumb is always a dark suit and tie unless there is a set look. Jerseys or celebration of life somewhere other than a traditional funeral home or church. Look your best and show as much respect as you can given the situation. Most people won't care or pay attention to what your wearing but I still think it's important.

If you are a pallbearer or anything a dark suit and tie is almost mandatory for the most part.

For a Calgary Flames spin, Brian Burke, who NEVER tied his tie in recent years has said in a number of interviews that one of the only time he will, is funerals. It may be an older generation respect thing but that doesn't mean they are wrong. I am 33 by the way.

A suit is also versatile for other events such as weddings, baptism's, business and perhaps a special occasion with a spouse. It's not like you won't ever use it again.

For the Brian Burke quotes, see below.

SN: Everyone wants to know about your ties and how you wear them. As a fan of not tying up ties whenever I can avoid it, I like your style, but was tying your tie ever a topic that came up when discussing getting this TV gig?

Burke: No one asked me and if they asked me to I would. I mean I know how to tie it. I tie it for funerals. That’s about it.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...v-analyst-gig/

While rare, counterexamples do exist. He tied when visiting the White House after winning the 2007 Stanley Cup with Anaheim. He knots up for funerals, weddings, and most recently while attending Flames defenseman Dennis Wideman’s disciplinary hearing.

https://www.si.com/nhl/2016/03/01/br...calgary-flames
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 07:51 AM   #23
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i would suggest that if the funeral was held in a rural area then dress pants with an outdoor type jacket (ski jackets, wind breaker etc dpending on season) would likely be the standard for most