Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2018, 02:29 PM   #1
MikeMc
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default House Sitting/Pet Sitting

Anyone have any experience with obtaining house sitting with dogs? Planning a trip over xmas and I have two dogs that probably won't do well in a kennel (well one at least).

I've looked through the Pawshake service and its slim pickings. Anyone else had this situation? Used a kennel they found great?
MikeMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 03:12 PM   #2
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Christmas is 10 weeks away - if you hurry, you can make some friends. If that doesn't pan out, how much do you pay and where do you live?
Old 10-17-2018, 03:13 PM   #3
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

How long are you going away? Do you have any friends or friends with adult kids who wouldn’t mind watching your place while you’re gone?

I had a girlfriend who was a nanny and when the family’s friends went away they would ask her to house/dog sit. If you know a responsible person that normally lives in a small place with roommates, watching your house would feel like a vacation.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:15 PM   #4
Guest1

Have you checked out Paw Butler? Not sure of their prices, but it might be an option.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:18 PM   #5
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've got three dogs in Toronto whose owners fly me there to stay with them when they go on holidays. Yeah. I'm that good. Also, I'd really like to get out of a potentially horrific xmas of family and friends. I'll do it for free.

Or you can try my friend's "kennel" near Okotoks. She's a legitimate licensed kennel but is very good at taking care of special needs dogs. I help her out all the time and everything about her business really impresses. I'd have no problem recommending her and will probably help her out over the holidays too. Lemme know if you want her info.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 03:28 PM   #6
jeffporfirio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Go to the closest vet clinic, they usually have business cards from neighborhood pet-related businesses.
jeffporfirio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 03:31 PM   #7
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

We've got a few friends with kids in their early 20's now that we get to come stay at our place with our dog. They might be smoking crack and having sex in our bed for all we know but at least our dogs not alone.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:32 PM   #8
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

We've used Assured Home and Pet Care in the past and have nothing but good things to say about them.

https://assuredhomeandpetcare.com/
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Barnes For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2018, 04:34 PM   #9
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

We've used Rover.com and had really good results. Unfortunately the girl who we found on there -- and was super awesome -- moved to Denmark last month to be with her boyfriend, so now we have to find another person to sit for us.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 04:59 PM   #10
MikeMc
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Christmas is 10 weeks away - if you hurry, you can make some friends. If that doesn't pan out, how much do you pay and where do you live?
Working on the friend angle, most have kids etc so the holiday coverage is rough.

Douglas Glen - pay to be determined.
MikeMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 07:38 AM   #11
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
We've used Rover.com and had really good results. Unfortunately the girl who we found on there -- and was super awesome -- moved to Denmark last month to be with her boyfriend, so now we have to find another person to sit for us.
Goddamned Danes! Still stealing our women!

Nothing has changed!!!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 08:03 AM   #12
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
We've used Assured Home and Pet Care in the past and have nothing but good things to say about them.

Thank you! I've lined up someone for our Christmas holidays.

I used a kennel for our two cats the last few times we've gone away and they were great, but I like the idea of someone stopping in to check on the house as well.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:06 AM   #13
Superfraggle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Goddamned Danes! Still stealing our women!

Nothing has changed!!!
*Insert obvious Great Dane/dog sitter pun here*
Superfraggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 11:13 AM   #14
ShotDownInFlames12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMc View Post
Working on the friend angle, most have kids etc so the holiday coverage is rough.

Douglas Glen - pay to be determined.

Yeah. Ask friends. Im sure one of your friends would love to go to your house and take care of dogs. Everyone loves dogs right? And hiking?
ShotDownInFlames12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 04:58 PM   #15
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotDownInFlames12 View Post
Yeah. Ask friends. Im sure one of your friends would love to go to your house and take care of dogs. Everyone loves dogs right? And hiking?
Yes. Some people do like those things...
Old 01-07-2019, 08:29 AM   #16
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post

Follow up on Assured. We used them over the holidays and have nothing but good things to say about them.

The lady who looked after our cats and our home was great. She fed the cats, cleaned the litter and vacuumed the litter mess they made. She also grabbed the mail for us, did a walk through the house and turned off the Christmas lights we had on auto. She also took down a few exterior Christmas decorations that didn't survive some wind Calgary received. Throw in daily photos texted to me of the pets and house.

All-in-all, they provide a great service and peace-of-mind while you're away. I'd definitely recommend them.

If you're in the McKenzie Towne area, the lady who looked after our place lives in the neighbourhood as well, which adds a bit more peace-of-mind knowing it's a neighbour.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post: