Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-19-2019, 02:49 PM   #1561
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Regrettably we're in the process of building a sewage treatment plant as mandated by the feds, even though the majority of the experts (marine biologists, etc.) have stated that it's completely unnecessary and probably constitutes more of a strain on the environment than the current setup.
I'm not sure if that science passes the smell test.

If anyone wanted to run a negative ad campaign, I'm sure 'swim the majestic waters, ripe with a million poops a day!' would be all that they would need.

It seems so shockingly third world, but I am glad that something is being done about it.
Old 01-19-2019, 03:03 PM   #1562
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post

If anyone wanted to run a negative ad campaign, I'm sure 'swim the majestic waters, ripe with a million poops a day!' would be all that they would need.

It seems so shockingly third world, but I am glad that something is being done about it.
It only works because they pump it into a fast moving current (Juan de Fuca) so it dissipates quickly. If everyone did this or if there wasn’t a fast moving straight to pump it into it would obviously be a problem.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 04:45 PM   #1563
Duruss
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
It only works because they pump it into a fast moving current (Juan de Fuca) so it dissipates quickly. If everyone did this or if there wasn’t a fast moving straight to pump it into it would obviously be a problem.
What about all the inorganics that get flushed, medications, plastics and rubbers?
Duruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 04:55 PM   #1564
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duruss View Post
What about all the inorganics that get flushed, medications, plastics and rubbers?
Fish need birth control too. Their body, their choice.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 04:57 PM   #1565
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duruss View Post
It’s filtered prior to release,

Modern sewage treatment doesn’t remove hormones like birth control either
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 04:58 PM   #1566
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post

An article from 2 years ago where Divers are claiming that years of dumping raw sewage are killing the ocean floor, including video

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...oria-1.3762234

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2019, 05:05 PM   #1567
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
An article from 2 years ago where Divers are claiming that years of dumping raw sewage are killing the ocean floor, including video

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...oria-1.3762234
I think that is acknowledged by the dumpers of raw sewage that there are small local affects but overall the affects aren’t measurable and therefore is the best way to dispose of waste.

Citing an article like that is like posting a list of pipeline spills and saying they aren’t safe. It is the best technology available for the given task.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:14 PM   #1568
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I think that is acknowledged by the dumpers of raw sewage that there are small local affects but overall the affects aren’t measurable and therefore is the best way to dispose of waste.

Citing an article like that is like posting a list of pipeline spills and saying they aren’t safe. It is the best technology available for the given task.
Except it’s not. Unless you have a mechanism to disperse it quickly. It will be an issue eventually. Toxins are building up, albeit slowly.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:03 PM   #1569
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Double post
Old 01-19-2019, 08:04 PM   #1570
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Except it’s not. Unless you have a mechanism to disperse it quickly. It will be an issue eventually. Toxins are building up, albeit slowly.
Do we have any evidence that supports this theory of toxins building up over time as opposed to higher concentrations closer to the tale pipe as they are dispersed?
Old 01-20-2019, 02:33 AM   #1571
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Do we have any evidence that supports this theory of toxins building up over time as opposed to higher concentrations closer to the tale pipe as they are dispersed?
The 1996 study everyone quotes that it’s adtually a good thing?
Old 01-20-2019, 10:40 PM   #1572
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Was perusing Twitter today and came across the @UniteAlberta Twitter account, the "Official Twitter account for the office of @JKenney, Leader of the United Conservatives and Alberta's Official Opposition."

I gotta say, that is some mind-bending and combative stuff coming from the social media outlet representing him. Is this really the Twitter account that represents him? I see the UCP and Kenney himself have their own Twitter accounts, but if this really is his representative Twitter handle that's just nuts. I can't imagine this is actually representing him. Can anyone verify or does anyone know?
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 07:52 AM   #1573
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
All food/beverage production requires insane amounts of L water/kg production:

Chocolate - 17,200
Almonds - 16,100
Beef - 15,400
Cashews - 14,200
Chickpeas - 10,100
Lentils - 5,900
Chicken - 4,300
Rice - 2,500
Oats - 2,400
Coffee (1kg of Brewed) - 2,300
Bread - 1,600
Avacado - 1,200
Milk - 1,000

What would be interesting to see is rather than L/kg of production, it was L/g protein or some other nutritional component. Coffee and Chocolate would obviously look awful in this scenario.
I heard almonds was a huge drain and is part of the problem in California.
more than beef, though? wow. that's an insane amount of water.

as for chocolate, no wonder half the "chocolate" out there doesn't really have any or very little compared to what it used to.
I noticed this Christmas a lot more items being listed as "chocolate flavored"
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 08:05 AM   #1574
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do cocoa trees actually get watered though? Same with coffee beans. I assume becuase these usually come from 3rd world countries they are just using rainwater so any negative effects to their production are probably nowhere near as high crops like California almonds hat actually need them to be manually watered.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:23 AM   #1575
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...xqTKoQsch0_Ze8

Lawyer questions Jason Kenney's Alberta residency while claiming living expenses in Ottawa

Quote:
A lawyer and political activist is accusing Alberta United Conservative Party Leader Jason Kenney of claiming his primary residence was in Calgary while living in Ottawa, an allegation Kenney disputes.
Quote:
The documents show Kenney collected secondary residence subsidies in Ottawa between 2012-15 of about $10,000 each year, while his mother's retirement home in Calgary was listed as his address with Elections Canada.
Quote:
Morrow said if the bungalow was Kenney's secondary residence, he believes the flight records don't back that up — showing that Kenney only expensed 10 parliamentary flights in 2013-14, and only four in 2014-15.

"This infrequent travel to Calgary seems to suggest that he was not, in fact, permanently residing in Calgary," Morrow said.

"I am concerned that Mr. Kenney engaged in a scheme similar to the one employed by Senator Mike Duffy. If Mr. Kenney has nothing to hide, he should immediately release his tax returns, his tenancy agreement, and his travel itineraries for the period in question."
This from the former President and CEO of the Canadian Taxpayers Federation.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:51 AM   #1576
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I never understood why people would be so greedy as to jeapardize their reputations over what really amounts to a minor financial gain compared to their regular incomes.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 10:15 AM   #1577
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Biggest joke back when Kenney was an MP in SE Calgary was that he'd win the constituency without even showing up. Looks like that was kind of true!
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 10:23 AM   #1578
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I never understood why people would be so greedy as to jeapardize their reputations over what really amounts to a minor financial gain compared to their regular incomes.
Uh, did you not read the article?

He lived in his mother's retirement home's non-existent basement to recoup $900 a month because he loves his mother, you unempathetic cretin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 10:36 AM   #1579
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
All food/beverage production requires insane amounts of L water/kg production:

Chocolate - 17,200
Almonds - 16,100
Beef - 15,400
Cashews - 14,200
Chickpeas - 10,100
Lentils - 5,900
Chicken - 4,300
Rice - 2,500
Oats - 2,400
Coffee (1kg of Brewed) - 2,300
Bread - 1,600
Avacado - 1,200
Milk - 1,000

What would be interesting to see is rather than L/kg of production, it was L/g protein or some other nutritional component. Coffee and Chocolate would obviously look awful in this scenario.
I am really late to this point, but water usage of animals to plant products is not always a fair comparison. For example, A lot of the water it takes to produce beef is actually tied up in the feed of beef, that is pasture grass and barely, both of which require quite a bit less water than most crops. Also, the water which cows drink is often recycled through urine. Also, in this equation they include the water cows which are not slaughtered consume.

We know cows require a lot of water, that being said, their relative environmental impact as it relates to water usage is far less intense than lentils for example which need a lot of water and nutrients from a small amount of land, as apposed to cows which take up a water from a larger catchment radius.

That being said, other meat products take far less water than cows, goats, pigs and chickens for example are, from a water consumption perspective, more environmentally conscious than other protein sources lentils included.

Last edited by TheIronMaiden; 01-21-2019 at 10:41 AM.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2019, 10:48 AM   #1580
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...xqTKoQsch0_Ze8

Lawyer questions Jason Kenney's Alberta residency while claiming living expenses in Ottawa

This from the former President and CEO of the Canadian Taxpayers Federation.

Kyle Morrow isn't having a fun time as a result of this:

https://twitter.com/kylemmorrow/stat...60271007858689
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote