Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2019, 01:18 PM   #501
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Nice!

But Crits? Brave. Those guys can be vicious.

I will get dropped so early in the crits that the other cyclists won't have a chance to be vicious to me. What's that? They can do that when they lap me? Several times? ####!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2019, 03:36 PM   #502
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haha, ya....I've had a few friends do them and I've watched some of the races. They can have some devastating falls, made worse by the cattle fencing that hems you in. I'm sure you will be fine, though.

My favourite was years ago in downtown Canmore, it was just hay bails and mountain bikes. Watching my buddies eat it into the hay as the missed the corners provided endless laughs.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2019, 07:46 AM   #503
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Where did you see they are good to -28? The product website shows -3 C.
https://45nrth.com/products/ragnarok-reflective

I ask as my last ride was with my winter boots on; which sucked.
Indeed you are correct. They have other shoes that rate for colder. These seem pretty good so far.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 12:15 PM   #504
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
I ended the year with 5,273 kilomtres cycled, with 57,167 metres of elevation gain. Only 400 of those kilometres were after September 8th. Once I finished the Whistler GranFondo I lost a lot of my motivation. My month with the most distance covered was June, with 960 kilometres. November only had 25 kms. My longest rides, in terms of distance, were the 160 kmValley GranFondo in Langley and the PGAMO in Penticton. My longest (in terms of time) ride was 5:59:26 when I cycled the Triple Crown in Vancouver. From my house it was 126 kms and included 2,553 metres of climbing.

My original goal for the year was 6,000 kms. I was well on my way, but lost a lot of motivation during the last quarter of the year. Work, life, weather, curling, golf, etc. all took priorities for me. I intend to bike much more in 2019. I'll be cutting my gym time down and spending more on my bike. I joined a racing team, so this will involve much more training and I'll be entering in crit races with the team. I'll still be doing the fondos, but will more strategic on which ones to enter.
Pretty close to mine. I rode 5,182km, 36200 metres of climbing. I wanted 10,000. Gotta get smaller and more focused this year. Haven't set my goal yet. Want to get my knee issue sorted out. I quit Coca Cola again, that should help me lose 20 lbs right there.
Old 01-02-2019, 03:10 PM   #505
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey all, haven't had much time to check in lately, just wanted to say you are all awesome for the cycling you did in 2018 and go get it in 2019 whatever your goal is.

I've done around 500km in Colombia so far in the Andes and holy crap, the mountains are huge here. Cycling in the interior BC and jasper and such I was always able to do 60-80 km with 400-600m elevation in a day. Here, 600m elevation is just what you do every morning to go 15km. I've probably averages 30km a day here,it's nuts. But been tons of fun.

Anyway, keep cycling, keep being healthy, get those cars off the road grab winter by the balls etc.
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to worth For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2019, 02:53 PM   #506
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

looked at my strava for the last two years
2018 2017
- 3,365 kms 2,812
- 200 hours 165
- 24,500 m of elevation gain 22,632
- 175 rides 152

mileage is lower than i thought, but a long bike ride in bragg is around 20 km's. My average ride distance in both yrs is very close to 19k
Old 01-04-2019, 12:30 PM   #507
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

An update to a story from last year. The cyclist who struck and fatally injured a pedestrian has been charged. I am not a legal expert by any means but do these appear to be equivalent charges to what a driver of a motorized vehicle might be expected to face in a similar situation?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...rges-1.4966280
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 12:34 PM   #508
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ seems that there are a couple of other recent incidents where pedestrians died after being hit by a vehicle - so when/if charges are laid there will be a good comparison to the incident with the cyclist hitting the pedestrian
Old 01-04-2019, 01:09 PM   #509
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

And I came in here to post that Canadian Tire has toe warmers on sale...
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/g...-0750099p.html
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2019, 02:17 PM   #510
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

First commute of the year for me today, feeling it more than I thought I would after being away from the bike since Christmas. Also had to get two new winter tires, I guess 3000km and change is about when they hit their max and the studs start pushing into the tube.

Kind of cycling related, was down in Mexico City for 9 nights and had a chance to try the Lime e-scooters (they also had Bird and Grip e-scooters there), they go bloody fast and would have no problem zipping around the inner city and holding their own on our cycle tracks. Will be interesting to see if we get them here since the introduction of the Limebike service.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 04:59 PM   #511
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
First commute of the year for me today, feeling it more than I thought I would after being away from the bike since Christmas. Also had to get two new winter tires, I guess 3000km and change is about when they hit their max and the studs start pushing into the tube.

Kind of cycling related, was down in Mexico City for 9 nights and had a chance to try the Lime e-scooters (they also had Bird and Grip e-scooters there), they go bloody fast and would have no problem zipping around the inner city and holding their own on our cycle tracks. Will be interesting to see if we get them here since the introduction of the Limebike service.
I thought maybe you were just unlucky, or a design flaw. #### me. I go to ride home, and I've got a flat. Sure enough, a stud has reverse punctured my tube! What are the odds both of us get this the same week? You should buy me a lottery ticket.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:13 AM   #512
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I should clarify, all of my "studs puncturing the tube" issues happened in December, the last time Ridley's told me the tires were definitely well past their prime with all the k's on them. So I asked if they could just gorilla tape the inside so I could finish up my last couple of commutes of the year and then once back from holiday's I'd come back and buy a couple of new tires. That's what I did on Saturday afternoon, so no issues for me so far yet this year.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:24 AM   #513
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Winter Bike to Work Day 2019

Winter Bike to Work Day coming up on February 8th, this is an afternoon get-together in conjunction with Calgary hosting the Winter Cycling Congress at the same time. Location is West Eau Claire Plaza (the new pathway/garden areas by the Peace bridge) and runs from 3:30 to 6pm. There will be delegates there from the congress from all around the world (last years conference was held in Moscow).

https://www.facebook.com/events/396823200890220/

Last edited by Bigtime; 01-08-2019 at 08:09 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2019, 07:27 AM   #514
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm going to make these last until spring...I cut the burst tube in half and ran it as a liner. Hope that buys me a few months. Looks like I have lost several studs and the tread is losing most of it's sipes. I do have a couple spare used ones I got from I-Hate-Hulse if I need to. But I'm cheap, so I'll try to ring a few more months outa these.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:31 AM   #515
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Winter Bike to Work Day coming up on February 9th, this is an afternoon get-together in conjunction with Calgary hosting the Winter Cycling Congress at the same time. Location is West Eau Claire Plaza (the new pathway/garden areas by the Peace bridge) and runs from 3:30 to 6pm. There will be delegates there from the congress from all around the world (last years conference was held in Moscow).

https://www.facebook.com/events/396823200890220/
Minor correction...the 9th is a Saturday, the Facebook link says the 8th.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:36 AM   #516
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Winter shoe update - pretty decent. -13 today, my feet were starting to cool off after 40 minutes. Not too shabby. With better socks it might work even colder.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2019, 08:12 AM   #517
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I'm going to make these last until spring...I cut the burst tube in half and ran it as a liner. Hope that buys me a few months. Looks like I have lost several studs and the tread is losing most of it's sipes. I do have a couple spare used ones I got from I-Hate-Hulse if I need to. But I'm cheap, so I'll try to ring a few more months outa these.
I've fired up the ol'Excel spreasheeet and I am tracking expenses on my car versus bike this year. Really curious to see how it all comes out. Of course right off the bat the insurance for the year already puts the car well ahead of my two new winter tires (~$1200 versus ~$250).

I'm also tracking my km's on both, I'm pretty sure without the big road trip this year (we drove Calgary to Montreal) I'll also beat the car with my bike for km's used.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2019, 01:58 PM   #518
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

How you guys doing out there? The ride home for me will suck. Bigtime will be setting speed records.
Old 01-23-2019, 02:00 PM   #519
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Still haven't had a Coca Cola this year! Down 3.5 lbs so far.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2019, 02:00 PM   #520
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am very happy about a tailwind home for a change.

Nice to see the snowfall wasn't as much as forecast, should be a pretty easy ride home.