Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-08-2018, 11:39 AM   #781
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
How do you propose they use that minimum wage job as a stepping stone? If you're making $15,000 a year, you're worried about making ends meet. You're not able to save up for schooling, even if it was free. The time off required is pretty prohibitive without savings or getting into large debt. Of course you're against school being free anyways.

Sure, there's a large number of people who "get out" but there's even more who get stuck in a poverty cycle.
This discussion opens up many other issues. I think minimum wage jobs should only be for high school students. For example, $9 an hour to make extra money, learn about the workforce and get something on that resume. That's what I mean by a stepping stone.

Now it's a cycle where if minimum wage is increasing to $13 an hour now and the people who can't get out hold all the jobs. Or instead of 3 $9 jobs there are now 2 $13 jobs. Where are kids working? Is superstore going to hire a 15 year old for the minimum wage at $15/hr when there are adults who can do it? Do kids just stay home or do they go volunteer. Volunteer experience and now deemed equal to work experience.

So say you're stuck in the $13 an hour poverty cycle? What are solutions? More student loans and funding for vocational education? More welfare? Fix the K-12 school system? Less foreign workers starting a minimum wage? Are there too many workers and too little jobs? I'm not sure.

I'm not as right wing as you think, I have some radical left proposals too. I don't think 4-year degrees should be free but there should be some funding for trade/vocational schools. Or why is there an OAS for seniors but not a YAS for youths? Let's give all adults 18-21 a universal income for 4 years so they can get a good start and not have to rely on parents?

Last edited by GirlySports; 08-08-2018 at 11:48 AM.
GirlySports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 11:50 AM   #782
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
I think that is what they are trying to do but they box themselves in at times

They run on high social programs, taxing the rich.

As opposed to conservatives who run the same programs and just charge them to the national credit card? You're being disingenuous with this line of thinking.

Quote:
They run on debt-free tuition for colleges but not necessarily for vocational schools.

This is just wrong. Many colleges have vocational and CTE programs which are encapsulated in this plan. What the Democrats hope to do is maintain the public funding through public institutions, where costs are controlled and profiteering is illegal. Conversely, Republicans want to channel this money to the for-profit vocational schools who have the reputation of putting profit before educational outcomes.

Quote:
They run on a $15 minimum wage. Minimum wage jobs should not be a career, but a stepping stone. With a minimum wage that high, more of those jobs get eliminated.

This is just crazy. The minimum wage number is established from a "living wage." You cannot expect an individual to live on $7.25 an hour. Tell me how an individual can live on $7.25 an hour? They can't. Not in a large city living on their own. And those jobs aren't stepping stones for the vast majority of people who work them. Those are the jobs they are qualified for and can get. And those jobs will not just go away. They may cause inflation as the wage is instituted, but they will not go away. Those jobs are key to the operation of many businesses, and they can not just be eliminated.

Quote:
They are being held hostage by the Republicans on DACA. They have to cut bait at some point.

So the Democrats should just fold on an issue that the vast majority of Americans believe is just and right? I disagree. This is an issue where being right matters and they should hold their ground.

Quote:
Plus other issues. I understand that the Democrats mean well and should be the alternative to the GOP at this time. But they do back themselves into a corner. Double downing on the Helsinki Summit or Sarah Jeong does not help.

Doubling down on Trump bowing to an authoritarian whose interest is destroying our defense and trade partnerships? Really? That is a bad thing? Do you listen to yourself? You complain when liberals don't stand up for things, but then you bitch and complain when they do take a stand and get on the right side of an issue.

I actually had to look up who Sarah Jeong was, and this is such a "nothing burger." I don't see Democrats or liberals collectively defending her or making this a plank for the party. If anything, I think this is nothing more than defending someone for something conservatives do all the time, which triggers those same conservatives to go crazy. It is a stupid issue and if you spoke to individuals running for office I suspect that most of them wouldn't know who she is, and wouldn't make a statement one way or another. It's irrelevant when you examine the big picture.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 12:00 PM   #783
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

New Era: you should be involved in politics, you present the Democratic argument way better than the Democrats do.

Again I think they mean well but i think they get outraged. Optically it looks bad.

Sure stand up to Trump but don't go all TREASON or THIS IS WORSE THAN THE HOLOCUST! outraged.

The rest I presented above. We obviously disagree but I like hearing other views and solutions.

GirlySports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 12:19 PM   #784
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
New Era: you should be involved in politics, you present the Democratic argument way better than the Democrats do.

Thank you, I guess???

To me it is all about issue clarity and presenting the facts for people to understand. Most issues are very complex and both parties attempt to distill them down to ways people can understand them. Of course there is a lot of spin applied during this process. To me, the challenge in communicating these proposals is then contrasting the differences and showing why your idea is the better mouse trap. The better solution will always win, especially if you can show how it floats all boats equally.
Old 08-08-2018, 04:38 PM   #785
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
This discussion opens up many other issues. I think minimum wage jobs should only be for high school students. For example, $9 an hour to make extra money, learn about the workforce and get something on that resume. That's what I mean by a stepping stone.

Now it's a cycle where if minimum wage is increasing to $13 an hour now and the people who can't get out hold all the jobs. Or instead of 3 $9 jobs there are now 2 $13 jobs. Where are kids working? Is superstore going to hire a 15 year old for the minimum wage at $15/hr when there are adults who can do it? Do kids just stay home or do they go volunteer. Volunteer experience and now deemed equal to work experience.

So say you're stuck in the $13 an hour poverty cycle? What are solutions? More student loans and funding for vocational education? More welfare? Fix the K-12 school system? Less foreign workers starting a minimum wage? Are there too many workers and too little jobs? I'm not sure.

I'm not as right wing as you think, I have some radical left proposals too. I don't think 4-year degrees should be free but there should be some funding for trade/vocational schools. Or why is there an OAS for seniors but not a YAS for youths? Let's give all adults 18-21 a universal income for 4 years so they can get a good start and not have to rely on parents?
There are no longer enough non-minimum wage jobs in this country to support working adults. It's not as if people are turning down better jobs to stay in the minimum wage bracket. Sure there are openings in tech. But not everyone is in the situation that they can drop everything and get an advanced degree in the middle of their life. Capitalism revolves around a low paid working class generating the profits. While we offshore most of that these days, there has to be someone to work the cheap jobs so McDonalds stock can keep going up.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dobbles For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2018, 10:45 PM   #786
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

A nice story of a changed man and former right wing extremist from Chilliwack who painted over hateful graffiti which included a swastika, among other messages.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4377793/f...k-viral-tweet/
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2018, 12:11 PM   #787
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1027900068274352128

https://twitter.com/user/status/1027917084364161024

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 12:27 PM   #788
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am surprised there are still popular brands that choose to advertise on Fox News at this point.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 12:31 AM   #789
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nm

Last edited by Weitz; 08-12-2018 at 08:26 PM.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 08:24 PM   #790
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I am surprised there are still popular brands that choose to advertise on Fox News at this point.
To be fair, they have a huge audience. It would be a bit silly to pull advertising off a network that size. They’d also receive huge backlash for it that’s probably more damaging to their brand than it is to stay on FOX (which IMO isn’t really damaging at all, who honestly watches TV and thinks about what commercial is on what station?). They’re better off to just avoid getting into that.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 01:23 PM   #791
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

Candy store statue with a lollipop head dress removed from West Edmonton Mall

Quote:
Montana Courts first saw the statue on Sunday afternoon while walking through the mall.

She immediately asked a store clerk to speak to a manager, but she was told no one was available to take her complaint.

"The employee informed me that he couldn't take any complaints … and I had to leave," said Courts, who is Metis.

"I was really offended by it. It's a stereotypical Indian image."
Quote:
Courts says ultimately she's happy the statue is gone — and hopes it is gone for good.

"I understand that people don't often intend to be racist," she said. "You get called a 'snowflake' all the time.

"But after hundreds of years of having your people marginalized, it's just something we have to stand up for."
Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 02:13 PM   #792
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Does FOX have a huge audience? I think that can be over-stated. True, they are #1 in basic cable ratings, but with so many channels this only means they have a "1.28 million viewer average across the 24-hour-day".

https://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/basi...f-aug-6/373579

I think far more people are listening to right wing talk radio.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...radio_programs
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 02:36 PM   #793
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Does FOX have a huge audience? I think that can be over-stated. True, they are #1 in basic cable ratings, but with so many channels this only means they have a "1.28 million viewer average across the 24-hour-day".

https://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/basi...f-aug-6/373579

I think far more people are listening to right wing talk radio.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...radio_programs

The problem is that the same people are consumers of both media sources. The Fox News watchers are the same people who will have their radios tuned into RW talk radio. It allows for a full on echo chamber and is extremely useful in entrenching propaganda as truth with these consumers.
Old 12-19-2018, 10:21 AM   #794
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

PCC investigation determines that Ken Thomas' 'Starlight Tour' accusation against Saskatoon Police is unfounded:

https://globalnews.ca/news/4774363/s...ce-ken-thomas/

"Allegations made by a man that Saskatoon police officers drove him out of town on a “starlight tour” have been determined to be unfounded by the Provincial Complaints Commission (PCC).

Thomas said he was detained and then driven south of the city where he was dropped off.

He said he ran back home to keep warm.

The Saskatoon Police Service (SPS) said they would co-operate with the PCC and turned over GPS logs as part of the investigation.

“Our service co-operated fully with the investigation from its inception, and assisted by providing logs of GPS for our fleet as well as video and audio recordings which are automatically activated in all our cars,” Cooper said in a statement.

Cooper said this is the first complaint of this nature since he became chief, and the seventh allegation since 2012.

None of the allegations were proven, Cooper said, and in two of the cases, mischief charges were laid.

He said the force takes all allegations seriously."

Important to report when any kind of serious allegation/accusation is proven to be bogus. Good on Global for giving the story the attention it deserves.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Fonz For This Useful Post: