Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2019, 09:59 PM   #21
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

What's everyone using for timbit kids aged 5-6? I was on 5/8 but went to 1/2 inch, to try and get him better turning radius and tighter turns vs. The 5/8, but he seems less stable out there on 1/2...
BigNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 07:11 AM   #22
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
There seems to be a lot of after market steel options popping up. Anyone try these?
my son is a goalie, and i have been putting step steel blades in his skates for a number of years. they cost around $100 and based on my son, they seem to hold an edge longer, and pay for themselves.

i bought him very expensive skates a few months ago, the skates came with some fancy blades, but he did not like the feel of them so i ordered step steel. he keeps the other blades in his bag as the skates have the trigger release.

as an aside, some goalie skate blade holders are 3mm and other are 4mm - the wider blade holds an edge longer, step steel makes blades that are 3mm at the holder and then 4mm at the blade.
Old 01-08-2019, 03:58 PM   #23
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I sharpen my own skates because I skate so often (at times every night), and generally sharpen them every 3 ice times. I prefer my skates sharp and well done. I use just under 12mm which is just a bit under 1/2", I've done down to 3/8 but found a happy medium. I typically will sharpen any of my teammates skates whenever they ask, and I've now become their preferential sharpener, but I'm a perfectionist when it comes to it. I use an SSM2 without the swingarm, I have a tabletop config with a Blackstone clamp.

As for blades, I use Step Blacksteel's, and they are honestly all I'd use anymore, they're that good. The glide is just unmatched (although, I do a polishing pass on my hollow with machine polish which helps that too), but they are durable. I've gone through LS2's (liked the profile but ground them out too fast), LS4's (didn't like the heel, profiled them like the LS2's which was good but they were weak and broke one in half on a standard block once), Step regulars which are much better than stock steel for the price. You pay alot for the blacks, but I think its worth it. I've been on these ones for a year, and I've probably got until the fall before they're ground out too much.

Pics for views!
Old 01-08-2019, 06:34 PM   #24
Csquared
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNumbers View Post
What's everyone using for timbit kids aged 5-6? I was on 5/8 but went to 1/2 inch, to try and get him better turning radius and tighter turns vs. The 5/8, but he seems less stable out there on 1/2...
If they're a decent skater- at that age meaning they're stable and able to push and glide well then I would generally recommend 5/8 or a flat bottom 90/50 or 90/75. I would only recommend the 1/2 only if they're still having troubles balancing, it's not going to help with turns at that age/weight and may make them worse in a few areas.
Csquared is offline   Reply With Quote