Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2018, 06:23 PM   #221
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
Aren't the higher levels of government supposed to be enabled to make decisions for the greater good?
Hahahaha. What now?
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 06:32 PM   #222
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Does Rocky View lose out on taxes if the gov buys this land? Is this maybe another reason they rejected it?
Old 12-28-2018, 12:44 PM   #223
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://calgaryherald.com/opinion/co...ipeline-groups

Dry dam opponents have taken page from anti-pipeline groups

Evidence, not politics, proves Springbank is the right flood project

Five and half years after the worst natural disaster to strike southern Alberta and we’re still arguing over how to prevent the economic, infrastructure and social damage that will come from the next flood.

If we can’t agree on basic infrastructure that will protect the economic engine of our province, save billions of taxpayer dollars and protect human life, how can we ever expect to build other important infrastructure like a pipeline?

This is why it’s so frustrating to see the continued opposition from Rocky View County council and lobbyists like Rocky View 2020 to sensible and cost-effective solutions like the Springbank Off-stream Reservoir (SR1).

Especially when they offer no real alternatives. They simply say, “Put it somewhere else.”
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2018, 03:45 PM   #224
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

It just seems so silly since it's not really effecting anyone, or changes things drastically for them. Oh look, can't build a 20 bedroom mansion with a 10 car garage at this specific plot of land. Gonna have to pick one of a thousand other plots of lands in the vicinity.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 10:36 PM   #225
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
It just seems so silly since it's not really effecting anyone, or changes things drastically for them. Oh look, can't build a 20 bedroom mansion with a 10 car garage at this specific plot of land. Gonna have to pick one of a thousand other plots of lands in the vicinity.
Oh look, somebody is trying to make a point, but instead comes off as a complete and total jackass. Well done.

When land gets expropriated for the greater good, the people giving up their land aren't necessarily fighting it so that they can build 20 room houses. If you can't understand why some people are attached to the land they've lived on for a long time, then there's no point in talking, but keep in mind that if these people are expected to give up their land to protect your condo downtown, it's not a nice way to say 'thank you', by dissing them for something that you fabricated. Simply living in Springbank does not mean that a 20 room house is in the plans.

Your post sucks ass, and I hope you spend a minute thinking about it. I agree that this dam is what needs to happen, but your attitude is not exactly endearing to the people giving up their land to save yours.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2018, 07:39 PM   #226
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
Oh look, somebody is trying to make a point, but instead comes off as a complete and total jackass. Well done.

When land gets expropriated for the greater good, the people giving up their land aren't necessarily fighting it so that they can build 20 room houses. If you can't understand why some people are attached to the land they've lived on for a long time, then there's no point in talking, but keep in mind that if these people are expected to give up their land to protect your condo downtown, it's not a nice way to say 'thank you', by dissing them for something that you fabricated. Simply living in Springbank does not mean that a 20 room house is in the plans.

Your post sucks ass, and I hope you spend a minute thinking about it. I agree that this dam is what needs to happen, but your attitude is not exactly endearing to the people giving up their land to save yours.
Well this jackass isn't even affected by what happens anyway since my house isn't in a flood plain.

So what exactly is the issue with the proposed site, and why can't the dry pond be built there? Because it's gonna have to be built somewhere, and it's going to affect someone if it's going to be useful based on studies. It's not like the province is intentionally #### over the people who's land may be affected.

I mentioned earlier on in this thread that the city and rocky view don't get along. On surface level, this just looks like Rocky View just be difficult for the sake of being difficult, because of how often the city opposes any nearby development plans from the county.
Old 12-29-2018, 08:13 PM   #227
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
Well this jackass isn't even affected by what happens anyway since my house isn't in a flood plain.

So what exactly is the issue with the proposed site, and why can't the dry pond be built there? Because it's gonna have to be built somewhere, and it's going to affect someone if it's going to be useful based on studies. It's not like the province is intentionally #### over the people who's land may be affected.

I mentioned earlier on in this thread that the city and rocky view don't get along. On surface level, this just looks like Rocky View just be difficult for the sake of being difficult, because of how often the city opposes any nearby development plans from the county.
As far as I know, it's the best option for the CoC. But that's not the point I made. My point was you coming along and flat out mocking the landowners that are getting expropriated by suggesting that they're angry about moving because they don't get to build their "20 room mansions". That's just being a jackass.

People that live in the same place for a long time get attached to their land or their house or their sunrise. It's not ridiculous. It's not just being a NIMBY. It's not just because they were planning to build one of those monstrosities out on the 22. If it was your grandparents ranch getting expropriated, you'd probably have a little more understanding, but instead, you're in here talking s### about people you don't even know, and making it sound like the plight of a rich person is affecting the common man, unreasonably.

I don't know those land owners either, so I'll just STFU after this post. All I do know is that my family once got expropriated (or land swapped) for YYC airport, it really annoyed my grandfather, but life went on. Life will go on for these people as well, but pissing on them when it's them that are giving up their happy place to accommodate the CoC is just f-ing unnecessary. Your 20 room mansion quip ticked me off. You sound like an a-hole talking like that when it's not you making the sacrifice.
Old 12-29-2018, 08:23 PM   #228
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Considering your family history, it makes sense why you had such an emotional response to my facetious comment.
Old 12-29-2018, 08:26 PM   #229
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Well, I'm glad you understand. Sorry for being such a bitch.
Old 06-13-2022, 07:10 AM   #230
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well with the current watches and warnings in place and the incoming rain event, seems prudent to bump this thread.

Beginning on Monday, a cold low is expected to bring widespread rainfall activity, including streaming convective activity, to portions of southern and central Alberta from Monday June 13th through to Wednesday June 15th. Successive weather models have been variable with respect to location and amounts, so the rainfall amounts and location are still subject to change. Forecast amounts by basin, based on the latest guidance from Environment and Climate Change Canada, are as follows:

Bow River Basin:

90-150 mm - Bow River basin; largest amounts between Banff and Cochrane
100-130 mm - Highwood River Basin
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 08:12 AM   #231
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Still loads of snow at Sunshine to melt. Hopefully the rain doesn't sit over the mountains too long.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 08:21 AM   #232
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Work was getting ready for continencies in case of downtown flooding over the weekend.

That said, you may have noticed the flood barrier built all along the river park system in downtown so it may work.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 08:46 AM   #233
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Is this storm actually something to be worried about? I don't even pay attention to weather warnings anymore since I can't go three days without my phone warning me of impending weather doom during the summer.

Snow squalls. Weather warning. Rainfall warning. Tornado warning. Flood warning. It's like anything other than 16 - 22° will trigger a we're all gonna die weather warning. I mean, it fataing rains in June. Looks like it's going to rain. I get the snowpack and all that, but they've really blown their load too many times on these doomer warnings that I just roll my eyes at this point.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2022, 09:04 AM   #234
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think for those of us in flood prone areas it's worth being prepared. Yesterday afternoon I did start bringing items we have in our basement up to the main level. If things trend worse stuff like the couch, TV, mattress and other items will come up too. Biggest thing for me is I'd rather clean up much less garbage than 2013 if I can by being proactive.

Last edited by Bigtime; 06-13-2022 at 10:15 AM.
Old 06-13-2022, 09:08 AM   #235
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I doubt anything crazy happens. There isn’t any accelerated melting in the mountains and barely any rain prior to this so the ground is quite dry.

That and as always it will be less rain than forecasted. Just rain for a couple days.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 09:09 AM   #236
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

It is bizarre we’re talking flood when it hasn’t rained for more than an hour total over the past two weeks.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2022, 04:43 PM   #237
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cool cool cool...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1536474174276788224

https://twitter.com/user/status/1536474484344901633
Old 06-13-2022, 04:46 PM   #238
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Oh Jesus

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 06:46 PM   #239
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow. They really lowered Glenmore Reservoir a lot.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1536443082203402240
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2022, 07:14 PM   #240
J epworth
Franchise Player

Exp:

That’s so cool, you pretty much see the old river basin that’s been covered by the reservoir
J epworth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to J epworth For This Useful Post: