Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2011, 02:29 PM   #201
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by To Be Quite Honest View Post
Guess someone missed the point...

Instead of immediately jumping on this wagon you could also include the size of a two month old and the volumes used. But why do that when you can just try to ignore it!
No I get the point, I take issue when a statement is made that is a half truth.

This is all I was able to find as far as dosing goes, but I'm willing to trust Public Health's decisions on dosage based on scientific studies.

Can giving a child several vaccines at the same time overload the immune system?

Answer: No. Only vaccines that have been shown to be safe and effective when given together are administered at the same time. When new vaccines go through the extensive testing process, they are given along with all of the recommended childhood vaccines. Scientific studies assess the effect of giving these vaccines at the same time.
Children may receive several vaccines during the same clinic visit, but only after studies have shown that this is a safe practice. In order to receive a licence to combine vaccines, the manufacturer must also prove that the combined product does not make any of the vaccine components less effective or raise new safety concerns. Giving several vaccines at one time keeps children safe by protecting them against more diseases sooner. As an added benefit, it also reduces children's discomfort by reducing the number of injections they receive, and it saves parents the time and expense of additional office visits.

http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/im/vs-sv/vs-faq10-eng.php
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:30 PM   #202
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Wow... This is a logical argument that I brought. It has to due with moderation and th3e understanding that a child does not need an adult dose. But go ahead and give you child 4 extra strength tablets for a headache. Because the volume really does not matter, it's nonsense!
But the point is the child isn't getting an adult dose - they're getting a dose formulated for a child. No matter what dose you give you could make the argument that it's the equivalent of giving an adult several times that dose. While strictly speaking the statement is true, it's an idiotic and meaningless argument when used against vaccination.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:36 PM   #203
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Quote:
I just searched for a pic that talks about volume in a shot. That is ALL I'm saying. The volume people!!!! THE VOLUME!

Anyway, it makes perfect sense to me. A small child needs less. / my participation.
Yet we know that it isn't a problem, because it makes sense to you doesn't mean your feelings on the issue should dictate how we do things over a body of work by medical science of decades of research and study.

The fact is anti-vax movements are masters of taking what feels intuitively wrong like the amount of vaccinations given to children and scaring parents into thinking this is bad for them.

When in fact, we are putting much less into them in modern days than even 10 years ago, and the schedule of shots is done based on 1000's of studies of research and observations.

This is often the biggest problem in these debates, especially when women are concerned, because the mothers become passionately upset and angry when given such false information, they begin to distrust 'science' and 'big pharma' as just people out to make money off of pumping your child full of dangerous stuff.

Its medical science and governments all over the world's failure to respond to these quaks appropriately with informational campaigns. There is also the secondary problem of the truth of these issues requires people to do some reading and not just rely on little images of a guy with quotes as their guide to basing their opinions on one of medical science's greatest achievement of the last 100yrs.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:37 PM   #204
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashartus View Post
But the point is the child isn't getting an adult dose - they're getting a dose formulated for a child. No matter what dose you give you could make the argument that it's the equivalent of giving an adult several times that dose. While strictly speaking the statement is true, it's an idiotic and meaningless argument when used against vaccination.
Well I'll still request and 1/8 of each maximum. Even a thimble full still has enough virus. Like sperm... Just because you only have one testicle doesn't mean you can't get the job done!

Darn it... I said I was done!
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:44 PM   #205
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
Yet we know that it isn't a problem, because it makes sense to you doesn't mean your feelings on the issue should dictate how we do things over a body of work by medical science of decades of research and study.

The fact is anti-vax movements are masters of taking what feels intuitively wrong like the amount of vaccinations given to children and scaring parents into thinking this is bad for them.

When in fact, we are putting much less into them in modern days than even 10 years ago, and the schedule of shots is done based on 1000's of studies of research and observations.

This is often the biggest problem in these debates, especially when women are concerned, because the mothers become passionately upset and angry when given such false information, they begin to distrust 'science' and 'big pharma' as just people out to make money off of pumping your child full of dangerous stuff.

Its medical science and governments all over the world's failure to respond to these quaks appropriately with informational campaigns. There is also the secondary problem of the truth of these issues requires people to do some reading and not just rely on little images of a guy with quotes as their guide to basing their opinions on one of medical science's greatest achievement of the last 100yrs.
Fair enough. You make sense, and I feel I make sense. I'm not saying Big Pharma is out to get you... But I am not trying to bring this into the debate here. I believe still that even though the tests say it's safe, and even though there is risk. I can minimize this risk more. Just a spoon full of Diphtheria + Tetanus + Pertussis + Polio + Hib (Pediacel or Infanrix-IPV+Hib) helps the medicine go down.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:59 PM   #206
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Fair enough. You make sense, and I feel I make sense. I'm not saying Big Pharma is out to get you... But I am not trying to bring this into the debate here. I believe still that even though the tests say it's safe, and even though there is risk. I can minimize this risk more. Just a spoon full of Diphtheria + Tetanus + Pertussis + Polio + Hib (Pediacel or Infanrix-IPV+Hib) helps the medicine go down.
Are you being serious or is this just an attempt to act like a fool? Because if it's the latter you're putting on an Oscar calibre performance.
valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:22 PM   #207
amorak
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Well I'll still request and 1/8 of each maximum. Even a thimble full still has enough virus. Like sperm... Just because you only have one testicle doesn't mean you can't get the job done!

You've got to be kidding. There's so much stupid in this post I am going to assume it's a joke and move on

Based on a JPG quote you're going to adjust the amount of vaccine your child gets, based on the analogy that a guy with one teste can get a girl pregnant.

Dammit, I wish the thousands of scientists and doctors the world over had though of this before I was injected as a child.
amorak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to amorak For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2011, 03:35 PM   #208
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Reminds me of a Mary Poppins movie...hmmm.

Just a spoonful of sperm helps the medicine go down...the medicine go downnnnnnnnn...

well you know.

Cmon man...try harder.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 04:01 PM   #209
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spacing babies less than 2 years apart may raise autism risk in second-born: study

No not sending them to space....although some may want to...

Children born less than two years after their siblings were considerably more likely to have an autism diagnosis compared to those born after at least three years.
The sooner the second child was conceived the greater the likelihood of that child later being diagnosed with autism. The effect was found for parents of all ages, decreasing the chance that it was older parents and not the birth spacing behind the higher risk.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:39 PM   #210
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amorak View Post
You've got to be kidding. There's so much stupid in this post I am going to assume it's a joke and move on

Based on a JPG quote you're going to adjust the amount of vaccine your child gets, based on the analogy that a guy with one teste can get a girl pregnant.

Dammit, I wish the thousands of scientists and doctors the world over had though of this before I was injected as a child.
Of course I was being ridiculous there... Not much more of a point to continue the discussion.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:20 PM   #211
amorak
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Of course I was being ridiculous there... Not much more of a point to continue the discussion.

With some of the comments made in here, it's tough to tell...
amorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:24 AM   #212
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Jenny McCarthy (Author, model and autism activist) blogs on HuffPo:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jenny-..._b_806857.html

This debate won't end because of one dubious reporter's allegations. I have never met stronger women than the moms of children with autism. Last week, this hoopla made us a little stronger, and even more determined to fight for the truth about what's happening to our kids.

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/?cat=36

As important as Wakefield is to the genesis of the modern anti-vaccine movement, however, there is another force that acts far more “where the rubber hits the road,” so to speak. This force comes in the form of publications and online discussion forums that cater to new mothers, offering all manner of advice and support. Some of these are very good, but all too many of them are hotbeds of anti-vaccine pseudoscience, confidently proclaimed by “elder statesman” members of these forums and included in articles published in glossy, attractive magazines.

Andrew Wakefield and his fellow travelers promoting unscientific information about vaccines are definitely to blame for providing the raw material for the anti-vaccine movement, but it’s communities like MDC and magazines like Mothering that spread the message to the masses, all in the name of protecting “freedom of conscience.” Unfortunately, freedom isn’t free when it’s based on misinformation, pseudoscience, and quackery.

Last edited by troutman; 01-12-2011 at 09:32 AM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:36 AM   #213
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post

This debate won't end because of one dubious reporter's allegations. I have never met stronger women than the moms of children with autism. Last week, this hoopla made us a little stronger, and even more determined to fight for the truth about what's happening to our kids.

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/?cat=36

As important as Wakefield is to the genesis of the modern anti-vaccine movement, however, there is another force that acts far more “where the rubber hits the road,” so to speak. This force comes in the form of publications and online discussion forums that cater to new mothers, offering all manner of advice and support. Some of these are very good, but all too many of them are hotbeds of anti-vaccine pseudoscience, confidently proclaimed by “elder statesman” members of these forums and included in articles published in glossy, attractive magazines.

Andrew Wakefield and his fellow travelers promoting unscientific information about vaccines are definitely to blame for providing the raw material for the anti-vaccine movement, but it’s communities like MDC and magazines like Mothering that spread the message to the masses, all in the name of protecting “freedom of conscience.” Unfortunately, freedom isn’t free when it’s based on misinformation, pseudoscience, and quackery.
Reading the moronic comments on there gave me a headache.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:55 AM   #214
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Reading the moronic comments on there gave me a headache.
I wish someone like Steven Novella would debate McCarthy on live TV.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:03 AM   #215
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post

I think McCarthy has done a lot for the Autism movement (brought much more into the public discussion and looked at alternatives to treatment that doesn't necessarily work for all).

I wish she would just shut up about the vaccine stuff because she says a lot without really saying anything at all. It sounds like if it were up to McCarthy we wouldn't need doctors or scientists at all, just Dr. Mom.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:56 PM   #216
Suave
Scoring Winger

Exp:

While the MMR-autism link has been thoroughly discredited, Dr. Wakefield and his allies continue to sow seeds of doubt about the safety of childhood vaccines with selective use of data and elaborate conspiracy theories.

“As a result, a generation of parents and their children have grown up afraid of vaccines and resulting outbreaks of measles and mumps have damaged and destroyed young lives,” Dr. Gregory Poland of the Mayo Clinic’s Vaccine Research Group in Rochester, Minn., wrote in Thursday’s edition of the New England Journal of Medicine.

The damage has been most extensive in Britain and Ireland, where MMR vaccination rates fell below 80 per cent. In Ireland, an outbreak of measles – a disease that has essentially been eradicated by immunization – led to more than 100 children being hospitalized and three deaths.

Once common childhood diseases and their sometimes tragic consequences – mental ######ation caused by measles, children left deaf by the mumps, blinded by rubella, pneumonia caused by Hib (Haemophilus influenzae bacterium), the crippling effects of polio, to name only a few – are now largely invisible.

With horrors out of sight, benefits are out of mind. Instead, there is an almost obsessive focus on side effects – and, yes, vaccines, like all drugs, can have side effects

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...rticle1867998/
Suave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:52 PM   #217
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Oh man the anti-vax'ers most hated man has come out with a book, can't wait to read this.

Deadly Choices

How the Anti-Vaccine Movement Threatens Us All

Plus a review of the book from one of my favorite blogs, Respectful Insolence:

Lamenting Deadly Choices that endanger children

Category: Antivaccination lunacyAutismMedicine
Posted on: January 3, 2011 8:00 AM, by Orac

Quote:
As hard as it is to believe after the pile of poo that was 2010, the year 2011 is starting out rather promisingly, at least from the point of view of science-based medicine. Its beginning has been greeted with the release of two--count 'em, two!--books taking a skeptical, science-based look at vaccines and, in particular, the anti-vaccine movement.
First off the mark (for me, at least) is a new book by a man whom the anti-vaccine movement views as the Dark Lord of Vaccination, Sauron himself sitting up in Barad-dûr (apparently the University of Pennsylvania and Children's Hospital of Philadelphia) crossed with Lord Voldemort. He is a man utterly reviled by anti-vaccine quacks everywhere. I'm referring, of course, to Dr. Paul Offit, a man who has been bile and harrassment due to his simply standing up for the science behind vaccines.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:21 PM   #218
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

Reckoned this thread would be a good place for this TED talk, in which the speaker discusses the possibility that 50% of apparently autistic children may be suffering from brain seizures treatable with anti-seizure medication.
flylock shox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:26 AM   #219
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://news.health.com/2010/03/22/me...kw=outbrain-ha

Measles Outbreak Triggered by Unvaccinated Child

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:36 AM   #220
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp: