Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2018, 04:57 PM   #1
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Car insurance question - accident fault scenario

I was hit by another vehicle tonight.

I was stopped at a stop sign for about 5 seconds when a vehicle approached the intersection from my right (no stop sign approaching the intersection from that direction).

The vehicle turns left into my direction and drives right into the corner of my vehicle, doing a decent amount of damage around the area of my headlight.

The driver said she couldnt see anything due to the sun in her eyes.

Question: the stop sign was a few feet from the start of the intersection on my side. The front of my car was probably a few feet ahead of the stop sign, but not yet in the intersection (more of maybe where a cross walk would be).

Given that I was stopped for 5 seconds, the other driver admitting she couldn't see anything and then drove right into me, taking the turn too tight, am I at risk for being found at a % for fault?

Last edited by Johnny199r; 12-30-2018 at 05:00 PM.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 05:05 PM   #2
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

You weren’t moving and the driver admitted to driving into you.

I can’t see how you’d be at fault.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 05:09 PM   #3
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Likely not your fault but hope she doesn’t change her story. She may deny saying that.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 05:32 PM   #4
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

People turning left like they are going around a curve RGMG, actually it bugs more so much more then that, for this exact reason. You don't start turning untill you can stay in your lane(s) throughout the intersection, pure laziness/ stupidity of the other drivers part. I personally can't see this being your fault unless it is deemed you were stopped too far into the intersection. However I can see this being the other persons fault for driving on the wrong side of the road, jmo.

Last edited by Derek Sutton; 12-30-2018 at 05:35 PM.
Derek Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek Sutton For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2018, 08:59 PM   #5
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not sure it would be her fault entirely. I think you're supposed to be stopped behind any line that may be on the pavement or within 3 meters of the intersecting road. If your statement includes an admission that you were stopped beyond the sign, it could be an issue. If I had to guess I'd say the insurance companies won't bother pursuing it and would just cover the relatively small payouts.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 09:17 PM   #6
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

And things like this are why I have a dash cam.

As far as share of fault, I agree with others that it could be argued you contributed to the collision by being across the stop line. But as long as you simply say you were stopped and she continues to argue that the sun caused her to drive into you, I would have to assume you'd be held to no fault.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote