Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-29-2018, 08:22 AM   #61
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey View Post
Just looking at that deal for Canadian residents and it says Tickets must first be used by December 31, 2018. Tickets expire 13 days after first use or on January 13, 2019, But says sale is on until Feb. why does it say must be used by December 31st?
I think you're mixing up the Disney discount for Canadians with the Southern California CityPass. If you buy your multi-day pass (3 days or longer) straight from the Disney website, you will get the Canadian discount and those passes can be used anytime between now and May 23, 2019.

The Southern California CityPass (which also gives you access to Legoland and Sea World on top of Disneyland) is purchased from Costco or from CityPass. The 2019 Southern California CityPass is not available yet. If you buy the 2018 Southern California CityPass, you have to use the first day on or before Dec. 31, 2018, and then you have 13 days to use the remaining days on your pass.

The 2019 Southern California CityPass (which will be good for all of 2019) will become available in early January.
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 11:25 AM   #62
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

Any advice for a restaurant near Disneyland for a special occasion?

Looking to leave the kid with Grandma for a night and take my wife out. Can drive or Uber so distance isn't critical but want something interesting. Happy to make reservations a month or two in advance and not too concerned about budget if it is worth it.
GP_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 11:55 AM   #63
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you love southern BBQ, there's a place called Lucille's that was my favorite for a long time. It's not high end, but not low end either; an entree will set you back $25-$40 and the food is awesome.

A real nice high end steakhouse is Morton's.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2019, 01:31 PM   #64
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP_Matt View Post
Any advice for a restaurant near Disneyland for a special occasion?

Looking to leave the kid with Grandma for a night and take my wife out. Can drive or Uber so distance isn't critical but want something interesting. Happy to make reservations a month or two in advance and not too concerned about budget if it is worth it.
There's a couple nice spots in Downtown Disney actually. Catal is a good spot, with great views and ambience. Food is really good too. Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen is good too, ambience is more laid back, but the Louisiana food is amazing. Both are pricey, but nothing more than you'd see heading off resort somewhere, in our experience.

If you want a fun experience where you can try a variety of cool things, take an Uber to the Packing District. Very much like what Eau Claire wishes it was at one point. Lots of cool unique places to eat there, and you can perpetually snack there too. It's one of my wife's and my favorite spots when we go.
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to manwiches For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2019, 03:09 PM   #65
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

A new Kura Revolving Sushi Bar opened up in Cypress, which is roughly a 15 min. drive from Disneyland. The food is pretty good and there is a wide variety of it which is great for indecisive people (like my wife) who want to try a little bit of everything. But the real reason to go is because it is a pretty fun experience. There are lots of youtube videos of people documenting their experiences at one of these Kura locations. Also, make sure to get the app so you don't end up waiting forever to get a table.
Old 01-30-2019, 06:51 PM   #66
CRXguy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If you don't mind driving about 15-20 minutes and you like Vietnamese food, head over to Westminster/Garden Grove. You'll find tons of restaurants on Bolsa Ave between Euclid and Magnolia. There's also lots of Korean BBQ restaurants on Garden Grove BLVD west of Euclid.
CRXguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CRXguy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2019, 07:51 PM   #67
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwiches View Post
There's a couple nice spots in Downtown Disney actually. Catal is a good spot, with great views and ambience. Food is really good too. Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen is good too, ambience is more laid back, but the Louisiana food is amazing. Both are pricey, but nothing more than you'd see heading off resort somewhere, in our experience.

If you want a fun experience where you can try a variety of cool things, take an Uber to the Packing District. Very much like what Eau Claire wishes it was at one point. Lots of cool unique places to eat there, and you can perpetually snack there too. It's one of my wife's and my favorite spots when we go.
Yeah we had lunch at 'Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen' last time we were down and I was really impressed. My wife had picked it and I didn't have high expectations going in, but the blackened chicken sandwich I had comes only second to Gruman's Chicken Club, which I would do unspeakable things for.

I can't remember exactly what my wife ordered, but I recall she loved it to, and the (rootbeer?) Manhattan she had was also excellent. Easily the best Disney property meals I've had on either coast.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 09:08 PM   #68
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRXguy View Post
If you don't mind driving about 15-20 minutes and you like Vietnamese food, head over to Westminster/Garden Grove. You'll find tons of restaurants on Bolsa Ave between Euclid and Magnolia. There's also lots of Korean BBQ restaurants on Garden Grove BLVD west of Euclid.
That district is called Little Saigon. Such a great area. So much amazing dining choices. If you like seafood, I would also recommend King Harbor Seafood Restaurant. Order the House Special Lobster!
Old 03-28-2019, 05:47 PM   #69
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

New rules at Disney theme parks that will affect smokers and families with young children beginning May 1. No more smoking inside the park, restrictions will be placed on stroller size, wagon strollers are banned, and no more loose ice in coolers.

Disney Parks Removing Park Smoking Areas, New Stroller Limitations

https://wdwnt.com/2019/03/breaking-d...r-limitations/
Old 03-28-2019, 06:13 PM   #70
Dube
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Not trying to hijack. What’s people’s advice for Angles games? Going in June, are scalpers a good idea? Is it possible to get autographs form a guy like Trout?
Dube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 06:51 PM   #71
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snootchiebootchies View Post
New rules at Disney theme parks that will affect smokers and families with young children beginning May 1. No more smoking inside the park, restrictions will be placed on stroller size, wagon strollers are banned, and no more loose ice in coolers.

I own the largest stroller I could find (Bob side-by-side jogger) and it comfortably fits within those dimensions. Not sure what they are prohibiting - taking a mini cooper in?
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 09:45 PM   #72
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
I own the largest stroller I could find (Bob side-by-side jogger) and it comfortably fits within those dimensions. Not sure what they are prohibiting - taking a mini cooper in?
Not all side-by-side double strollers will fit these dimensions. BabyTrend double strollers/joggers don't appear to fit based on the dimensions listed on their website. I'm sure there will be others.

https://www.babytrend.com/strollers/joggers/double

I think parents may have a bigger issue with the wagon stroller ban as they are used as rolling storage caravans. They've always been banned but apparently they will start enforcing the ban.
Old 03-28-2019, 10:13 PM   #73
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snootchiebootchies View Post

That won't fly at Paris Disney. Everyone was smoking there, even Goofy.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 04:47 PM   #74
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Sounds like it's going to be crazy at Disneyland for the next few weeks. Disneyland has put out some helpful videos to help with the logistics. We plan to go in the winter. Hope we are not limited to four hours inside Galaxy's Edge by then.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1133430720506941440
Old 05-30-2019, 05:10 PM   #75
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2019, 10:14 PM   #76
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:

Was at the park yesterday, and saw the outline on the ground at security for the new strollers. I've never personally seen one that big, so can't imagine many will be affected.

It was awesome to have the smoking areas closed between Frontierland and Fantasyland. Used to be full of people sucking on darts. Now it's one of the entrances for Star Wars, so I got some good photos of the boy in front of the setup they have for opening day.

(we won't be going till the fall - let the hardcore be the beta testers!)

Park was relatively empty. Guess people were saving up. Living in LA with a 5 year old it made a lot of sense to get the annual pass, so in the past 2 years we've been about 20 times. We always have a great time, and I recommend a trip for anyone with young kids.

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 08:35 AM   #77
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dube View Post
Not trying to hijack. What’s people’s advice for Angles games? Going in June, are scalpers a good idea? Is it possible to get autographs form a guy like Trout?
I bought mine from stub hub so can’t comment on scalpers. However $10 (u.s.) for a hot dog and another $6 for a beer was dissapointing. The food looked really good but prices were ridiculous for ballpark food.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 01:23 PM   #78
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anybody going to Universal, I recommend the express pass. 1.5 to 2.0 hour wait times on a lot of the rides, but we'd be on the ride in under 20 minutes usually with the express pass.

I think it was roughly $50 more per person, but well worth it IMO. Almost felt bad zipping by the same people in line a couple times to get on the ride a 2nd time with the rest of our group (who stayed back with an infant).

Also got let into shows first to pick our seats before they opened the doors for everyone else.

I also recommend if you get to Universal right about when it opens, go all the way through the park and down the escalators to where the transformers and mummy rides are. We did that right away and there was hardly anyone down there. We didn't even need our express passes to get on both rides twice each in under an hour. Then we went back up to the top and worked our way around the rest of Universal.

Only time I've been since I was a kid, so I don't know if it's always that smooth with the express pass, but it was on that day, which was also a Saturday so it was pretty busy.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 08:28 PM   #79
CRXguy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think if you're going on a Fri-Sun then express pass would be worth the extra money. I've always gone early in the week in the summers and the longest wait was about 45mins at most. This is for Universal Hollywood.

What's a fair price for flights to Palm Springs in early August? I've been tracking prices and it's right around $1600 for 4 people with Westjet.

Last edited by CRXguy; 05-31-2019 at 09:19 PM.
CRXguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 09:09 PM   #80
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Anybody going to Universal, I recommend the express pass. 1.5 to 2.0 hour wait times on a lot of the rides, but we'd be on the ride in under 20 minutes usually with the express pass.

I think it was roughly $50 more per person, but well worth it IMO. Almost felt bad zipping by the same people in line a couple times to get on the ride a 2nd time with the rest of our group (who stayed back with an infant).

Also got let into shows first to pick our seats before they opened the doors for everyone else.

I also recommend if you get to Universal right about when it opens, go all the way through the park and down the escalators to where the transformers and mummy rides are. We did that right away and there was hardly anyone down there. We didn't even need our express passes to get on both rides twice each in under an hour. Then we went back up to the top and worked our way around the rest of Universal.

Only time I've been since I was a kid, so I don't know if it's always that smooth with the express pass, but it was on that day, which was also a Saturday so it was pretty busy.
Depends on when you go.

I went to universal Florida a couple years ago in November on a weekday and was told express passes were a must by several people. Was also told it would be impossible to do two parks in a day. Did not get an express pass and bought a two park pass despite the advice.

Weather was perfect, there were virtually no line ups (waited max 20 mins for any ride all day), got to ride a ton of rides multiple times, used the singles lines extensively to jump the queues and actually took the hogwarts train like 3 times because we had so much time.

We also showed up at 8am despite park not opening until 9am. Only express holders get in at 8am. They let us in anyways because the staff were awesome.

I want to go back so bad. It was so amazing.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post: