Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2021, 01:17 AM   #81
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was already all-in on Backlund but those comments from Forsberg seal it for me. Sure I'm not in the Flames room but I've never heard or seen anything to suggest he's not viewed the same way by his teammates in Calgary.
Old 09-12-2021, 01:22 AM   #82
Jetfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

I won't complain, regardless of who it ends up being among the common names that have been thrown around. I have no doubt Sutter can read who makes a good leader in a locker room, and if he sees someone who can step adequately into Gio's leadership role right away without forcing things, then so be it.
Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jetfire For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2021, 04:03 AM   #83
Knightslayer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Backlund would be a terrible choice. Quiet meek player, I don't see anything that screams Captain to me. Just because he is the longest tenured Flame means nothing. He is also a player the Flames should be looking at moving on from in the near future. What a fail that choice would be, I can't see it.
Steve Yzerman was quiet. Joe sakic was quiet.

People need to stop pretending they know what players bring in the room. On ice and off ice Backlund seems like a logical choice, not a "fail" as you put it.

He's already been captain of a Swedish team that had lots of talent on it.
Knightslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 07:14 AM   #84
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I've been advocating for Backlund for years now. The only reason he hasn't been captain yet is because he's played here during the tenure of our two greatest captains in franchise history: Iginla and Giordano. It's pretty hard to top those two.

He's earned it, and he's make a great captain IMO. I don't see any of the younger guys deserving it, and I don't think Lucic would fit since he may not be on the roster much longer. Tanev is the only other possibility, but Backlund's tenure should earn him first consideration.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2021, 07:17 AM   #85
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslayer View Post
Steve Yzerman was quiet. Joe sakic was quiet.

People need to stop pretending they know what players bring in the room. On ice and off ice Backlund seems like a logical choice, not a "fail" as you put it.

He's already been captain of a Swedish team that had lots of talent on it.
Dissentowner can’t get over the fact Backlund let him down in the Avalanche series, and it’s personally offended him permanently.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 09:09 AM   #86
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Backlund has got my vote. Love the player. Very committed to playing the right way all over the ice. Very committed to the Flames. One of the most consistent and reliable players to play here in the last decade. He would make a good captain.
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Major Major For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2021, 09:15 AM   #87
Knightslayer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Having said all that about Backlund, my choice would be Tanev. Having no clue what these guys are like in the room I would want my captain to play the right way on the ice and lead by example. Can't go wrong with both Backlund or Tanev.

For that same reason, I wouldn't even want Tkachuk as an assistant captain. IMO you can't have one of your captains trying between the leg passes in the defensive zone. Until he cleans up his cute plays, Tkachuk is a hard no for me
Knightslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 09:27 AM   #88
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Oh I’ll be cheering them on from the dome every game and enjoying it.

I just don’t see much success coming, and don’t believe the team has the foundation to be successful. I think the team needs to bottom out and build through top-5 picks, and I hope they do. Much more exciting to watch the team build itself up rather than scramble for mediocrity.

Outside of Tkachuk or Lindholm, I don’t think the team has a player that can bring in a “new era”. Backlund or Tanev being named captain would be like when the Oilers named Ethan Moreau captain in my eyes.
Something is not adding up here. How can you be hoping they bottom out, and cheering for them and enjoying it?

Last edited by blender; 09-12-2021 at 09:37 AM.
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 09:32 AM   #89
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

^ pretty sad that after we let our captain go in an expansion draft that there isn't an obvious replacement in the lineup.

Shows the directionless nature of the team and, more specifically, management.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chedder For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2021, 09:33 AM   #90
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
^ pretty sad that after we let our captain go in an expansion draft that there isn't an obvious replacement in the lineup.

Sadder would have been paying assets to retain a 38 year old captain. The expansion draft happened, and Treliving aced the protection list.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2021, 09:38 AM   #91
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

So you would be fine kissing our first and third goodbye?
Burning Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Burning Beard For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2021, 09:38 AM   #92
Macman
Self Imposed Retirement

Exp:

I also don't think they should go without a Captain and let somebody show them first because it will look really bad for the team that there isn't someone already groomed and ready in the wings to take the C.

Tkachuk, Monahan or Backlund is who I would consider and give it to. They've all been here long enough. They have to do it to show some stability and that the team is moving forward.
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 09:41 AM   #93
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Sadder would have been paying assets to retain a 38 year old captain. The expansion draft happened, and Treliving aced the protection list.
You're missing the point, it wasn't at all to do with exposing Gio, it's the lack of succession plan as far as fans can see.
Old 09-12-2021, 09:42 AM   #94
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Beard View Post
So you would be fine kissing our first and third goodbye?
Losing Gio wasn't my point, the lack of obvious successor was.
Old 09-12-2021, 09:48 AM   #95
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
You're missing the point, it wasn't at all to do with exposing Gio, it's the lack of succession plan as far as fans can see.
How do you know there is no succession plan? Because we can't agree unanimously here?

What if the team already knows it's Backlund?
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to blender For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2021, 09:54 AM   #96
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Losing Gio wasn't my point, the lack of obvious successor was.
Isn’t it a good thing that there are several viable choices? Vets like Tanev or Lucic. Backlund is quiet, but a leader I think. Tkachuk or Andersson if you want vocal. And my vote, Lindholm, if you want a player that does everything and is signed longer term.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 09:55 AM   #97
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
How do you know there is no succession plan? Because we can't agree unanimously here?

What if the team already knows it's Backlund?
I don't know, hence the 'as far as fans can see, comment.

Don't you think a well run team would have a fairly obvious leadership pipeline and that there would be some consensus among fans?
Old 09-12-2021, 09:56 AM   #98
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Dissentowner can’t get over the fact Backlund let him down in the Avalanche series, and it’s personally offended him permanently.
No, he is a regressing overpaid 3rd line C we should be trying to shed. Also, what exactly have the Flames accomplished since Backlund joined the team? He is part of a losing culture, why on Earth would you make him Captain? I mean yes, it would be such a Flames thing to do but I would rather we move away from that direction of mediocrity.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2021, 09:57 AM   #99
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Backlund would be a horrible choice. Hasn't won anything with this team and one of the first to disappear for major stretches. Can't wait until he is off the team nevermind making him captain.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to keenan87 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2021, 09:59 AM   #100
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
Isn’t it a good thing that there are several viable choices? Vets like Tanev or Lucic. Backlund is quiet, but a leader I think. Tkachuk or Andersson if you want vocal. And my vote, Lindholm, if you want a player that does everything and is signed longer term.
I don't know. A brand new player, a player almost out of the league, the status quo with an older core player. And no on Chucky for several reasons, mainly that there's a huge chance he won't be a Flame much longer. Out of your list Lindy makes the most sense to me too.