Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2020, 10:50 PM   #3901
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Its pretty obvious to me why Bennett can't play that style in the regular season...he wants to have a career.

Look no further than Ferland or even Benett himself (torn triceps in play in round)
Ferland’s issues were concussion related, which he seemed to gain at least a few of those directly through fighting.

The utility of Bennett’s game in this years playoffs was not simply because of his hitting. He was at his natural position playing with actual NHL talent and had a coach willing to give him the consistency he hadn’t had since Hartley. He drove the play, made great passes, smart plays with the puck, and I think most importantly - was on the ice with players who could not only make smart plays with the puck in their own right, but also contribute to rushes in meaningful ways - unlike Jankowski/Rinaldo/Brouwer/Chiasson/Neal.
Old 10-25-2020, 11:00 PM   #3902
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Its pretty obvious to me why Bennett can't play that style in the regular season...he wants to have a career.

Look no further than Ferland or even Benett himself (torn triceps in play in round)
I'd be happy if he just skated hard and created offense like he did in the bubble.
Old 10-25-2020, 11:34 PM   #3903
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

I’ve said this before, but my opinion on why playoff Bennett is so much better than regular season Bennett is because the refs use a different rule book for each.

I don’t know if the answer is for Bennett to tone it down in the regular season and then ramp up in the playoffs, but it seems to me like the NHL has always drawn a very distinct line between normal hockey and playoff hockey.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2020, 11:39 PM   #3904
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
I think moving on from Bennett now, after all these years, when he's finally showing signs of living up to his draft ranking is a bad idea. Like if "playoff Bennett" is regular season Bennett under Geoff Ward, you have to see how that plays out, no?
I wouldn't say he's showing signs of living up to his draft ranking. He is showing that he's not a total bust and he'll be a useful player in the NHL.
Old 10-26-2020, 05:49 AM   #3905
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
I wouldn't say he's showing signs of living up to his draft ranking. He is showing that he's not a total bust and he'll be a useful player in the NHL.

I would suggest the Bennett had never been a total bust and has always been a useful player in the NHL.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2020, 06:41 AM   #3906
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

I feel the Flames have too many good options to make Bennett’s wingers terrible. There’s Dube, Mangiapane, Leivo and Lucic.

What if the 3rd line is Mangiapane - Bennett - Dube? That would give Bennett a great chance of succeeding at centre, which would be the point.

The lines would be:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Tkachuk - Backlund - Leivo
Mangiapane - Bennett - Dube
Lucic - Ryan - Simon/Gawdin/Nordstrom.

I think that 3rd line might end up challenging for best line on the team.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nelson For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2020, 08:07 AM   #3907
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Who wants 9M a year

Hanifin is 23 and Bennett is 24 also

I'm not sure I would do it honestly
Not to mention the guy seems to be difficult to work with, doesn't train, and is a video game addict. I want no part of Laine at all. Let him be someone elses 9M problem.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2020, 08:11 AM   #3908
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
I would suggest the Bennett had never been a total bust and has always been a useful player in the NHL.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I wouldn't say he has been a bust either. He hasn't live up to his expectations though and that has many people thin nking he's a bust.
Old 10-26-2020, 08:13 AM   #3909
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
Tkachuk will need 9 mill at a minimum in 2 years. While the cap is still flat.
Depending on the progression of the players, it might be better value paying Laine that amount. Assuming he gets 50 goals before then.
Right now, I would rather have Tkachuk. But I do think Laine is more likely to put up 50+ goals or 90+ points.
In no possible way would it ever be better to have Laine over Tkachuk. They are polar opposites in how they approach their trade. The only thing they have in common is they both can score goals but one is a leader who will do anything to get better and win while being one of the best agitators in the game and the other was blessed with one of the best wrist shots ever but has the dedication of a dead guppy.
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2020, 08:21 AM   #3910
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
Winnipeg’s supposed ask is a 2C and a top 4 D for Liane. Ryan and Hanifin is no where close to that.
Is Winnipeg still after a 2C after trading for Stastny and drafting Perfetti? I thought those 2 moves were the short and long term solution to that position.
Old 10-26-2020, 08:22 AM   #3911
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
In no possible way would it ever be better to have Laine over Tkachuk. They are polar opposites in how they approach their trade. The only thing they have in common is they both can score goals but one is a leader who will do anything to get better and win while being one of the best agitators in the game and the other was blessed with one of the best wrist shots ever but has the dedication of a dead guppy.
This is correct.

Laine has a world of talent, but he's just going to be one of those players who disappoints his contract.

Unless he's scoring, he's not much use. Similar to Johnny, in that he does one thing well. Johnny is play making, Laine is shooting.

Tkachuk is much more the complete package.
Old 10-26-2020, 08:35 AM   #3912
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not to mention the guy seems to be difficult to work with, doesn't train, and is a video game addict. I want no part of Laine at all. Let him be someone elses 9M problem.

I find it incredibly rich that you will lay down your lives to defend Johnny when accused of not training, not having dedication, having a poor diet etc, but when it comes to some dude who likes to play video games to blow off steam in his spare time you're adamant that he has no place on this team.

I would be ####ing ecstatic if johnny would take up a video games tbh.

Last edited by Monahammer; 10-26-2020 at 08:41 AM.
Old 10-26-2020, 08:40 AM   #3913
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
I find it incredibly rich that the two of you will lay down your lives to defend Johnny when accused of not training, not having dedication, having a poor diet etc, but when it comes to some dude who likes to play video games to blow off steam in his spare time you're adamant that he has no place on this team. Do y'all not know what our players do in their spare time? Lol

You may want to reread my posts, I am not the biggest booster of Johnny at all. I have never defended him, just the opposite.

In fact, I believe I just compared Laine to Johnny.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2020, 08:54 AM   #3914
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
No need to insult dead guppies.
Old 10-26-2020, 09:15 AM   #3915
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I find it incredibly rich that you will lay down your lives to defend Johnny when accused of not training, not having dedication, having a poor diet etc, but when it comes to some dude who likes to play video games to blow off steam in his spare time you're adamant that he has no place on this team.

Nice Trump like post here. Johnny's diet has vastly improved since he broke into the league. He was even on a segment with Subban about cooking and he talked about how he pays attention to what he eats better now. Johnny's dedication is strong as well, he trains every offseason and added muscle and rollerbladed during the shutdown. You don't get to the NHL at 5'6 if you are not dedicated, not possible. Let's not let reality or facts gets in your way though to suit your narrative. You would make an excellent politician.
Old 10-26-2020, 09:17 AM   #3916
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nice Trump like post here. Johnny's diet has vastly improved since he broke into the league. He was even on a segment with Subban about cooking and he talked about how he pays attention to what he eats better now. Johnny's dedication is strong as well, he trains every offseason and added muscle and rollerbladed during the shutdown. You don't get to the NHL at 5'6 if you are not dedicated, not possible. Let's not let reality or facts gets in your way though to suit your narrative. You would make an excellent politician.
Reality and facts? We're not allowed to post 90% of those around here for fear of pissing off the team, but you can't be totally blind and deaf to the countless stories around town about what particular proclivities some of our star players like to "pass their time" with.

Like I said, we would be fortunate if video games were a larger focus..

Also: Johnny is 5'9 not 5'6. Seems inconsequential but it's a substantial difference.
Old 10-26-2020, 09:18 AM   #3917
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
You may want to reread my posts, I am not the biggest booster of Johnny at all. I have never defended him, just the opposite.

In fact, I believe I just compared Laine to Johnny.
My mistake, I had you confused for another poster. I edited to remove you as you were typing your reply.
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2020, 09:24 AM   #3918
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Reality and facts? We're not allowed to post 90% of those around here for fear of pissing off the team, but you can't be totally blind and deaf to the countless stories around town about what particular proclivities some of our star players like to "pass their time" with.

Like I said, we would be fortunate if video games were a larger focus..

Also: Johnny is 5'9 not 5'6. Seems inconsequential but it's a substantial difference.
I'm pretty sure they exaggerate his height - I've seen him standing next to my kid when my kid was 13.
Old 10-26-2020, 09:25 AM   #3919
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
I’ve said this before, but my opinion on why playoff Bennett is so much better than regular season Bennett is because the refs use a different rule book for each.

I don’t know if the answer is for Bennett to tone it down in the regular season and then ramp up in the playoffs, but it seems to me like the NHL has always drawn a very distinct line between normal hockey and playoff hockey.
That and the puck actually goes in the net with him on the ice in the playoffs.

Over the last two seasons:

Playoff Sam Bennett:

CF%: 54.2%
HDCF%: 52.9%
xGF%: 60.49%

On ice Shooting %: 12.5%

Regular Season Sam Bennett:

CF%: 54.4%
HDCF%: 56.7%
xGF%: 57.7%

On ice Shooting %: 7.51%

From an advanced metrics perspective he's pretty much the same guy, and really drives play and generates chances.

Only difference is in the playoffs Sam Bennett gets first line finish while on the ice, and regular season Sam Bennett gets 4th line finishing percentages.

Give him more skilled linemates and I bet that on-ice shooting percentage will jump up.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 10-26-2020 at 09:27 AM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2020, 09:28 AM   #3920
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I'm pretty sure they exaggerate his height - I've seen him standing next to my kid when my kid was 13.
I felt the same but after i looked into it with photo comparisons a while back I think he's got to be close to 5'9.

Here's a photo of him and Monahan to try and compare (both in their skates):

Johnny is roughly top of head to Monahan's nose. That gives ~5" to top of Monahan's head (unless he has a much more aggressively large noggin than I give him credit for.) Given Monahan's listed height is 6'2, that would put johnny right at 5'9. Unless they're fudging for all of them!

Here's both of them side by side without skates too. I don't think there's more than 6" separating them:

Last edited by Monahammer; 10-26-2020 at 09:30 AM.
Closed Thread