Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 09:57 PM   #61
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole436 View Post
That still doesn’t sound like an apology.
From the Cambridge dictionary - Regret

Quote:
to feel sorry about a situation, especially something sad or wrong or a mistake that you have made:
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dic...english/regret
Old 03-21-2019, 10:00 PM   #62
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
-Set up a resource room with real people to respond to lies about O&G
-Report foreign environmental NGOs to the CRA for abusing their charity status by becoming politically involved
-Sue said NGOs for defamation
-Boycott banks and other financial institutions like HSBC that have boycotted Oil sands companies
-Financially support the majority of FNs that are prodevelopment to get their voices heard
-Cut corporate taxes to 10%
-Threaten BC with real consequences for continuing to be obstructionist dbags
-Prepared in principle to hold a referendum on the terms of equalization payments to push our leverage points within confederation.

Those are the things I've put together from YouTube videos and such i image the official policy proposal will be similar.
But why

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:05 PM   #63
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:
Icon56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
What type of campaign would you prefer? I'm being serious here.

One where parties talked about their policies, ran on their records and most all talked about what they would do for Albertans?

Or the constant attacks we see from all parties that try to belittle the other leader?

I know which one I'd choose.
The one where the leader of a party, actually took ownership for something he did and said that was really, really awful. The fact that he said something 30 years ago isn't concerning to me. What is concerning though is the fact that he hasn't had the courage to truly apologize. Being an adult is about being able to admit your own shortcomings of the past and to show how you have rectified those issues. Kenney hasn't done this as far as I can see.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mean Mr. Mustard For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2019, 10:05 PM   #64
LanceUppercut
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
But why

You are right, it should be lower.

Uh... Lance Uppercut.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:16 PM   #65
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceUppercut View Post
You are right, it should be lower.
Where do you want to generate tax revenue from?
Old 03-21-2019, 10:21 PM   #66
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alright now give me the real answer, hardmode, can't use the terms "Job Creators", "Trickle Down", "Supply Side" or "Laffer Curve".

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:28 PM   #67
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
-Set up a resource room with real people to respond to lies about O&G
I can only imagine the reaction if the NDP were to commit tax dollars to set up a resource room to respond to lies about labour unions. Is this not something O&G companies should be doing themselves if they aren’t happy with the support they are currently receiving from our provincial government?

Quote:
-Report foreign environmental NGOs to the CRA for abusing their charity status by becoming politically involved
We need the government to do that? Look I’m not happy about the current situation and am very empathetic towards the plight of our O&G industry, it’s eerily similar to what the pro-labour movement has faced for decades. That being said I think if we are going to go after these types of groups it should be across the board and not arbitrarily selective.

Quote:
-Sue said NGOs for defamation
Isn’t this something O&G companies could be doing themselves? How many tax dollars should be committed to this? Keep in mind how well funded the groups they want to go after are.

Quote:
-Boycott banks and other financial institutions like HSBC that have boycotted Oil sands companies
HSBC should be boycotted for reasons beyond their boycott of oil sands companies. IE their past involvement with drug cartels.

Quote:
-Financially support the majority of FNs that are prodevelopment to get their voices heard
This is a really slippery slope. Using tax dollars to promote one side of the argument is essentially doing the same thing tides and other similar groups are doing. Which you claim to despise.

Quote:
-Cut corporate taxes to 10%
I heard down 8% within 4 years but I gues either would be a big win for businesses and anyone naive enough to still believe in trickle down economics.

Quote:
-Threaten BC with real consequences for continuing to be obstructionist dbags
We’ve made threats, nothing happened. Sure we could get into a full on trade war with B.C. if that’s what you’re hoping for, but BC knows they’re the big dog in that fight. I’m not sure how that ends up being a win for Alberta or the O&G industry.

Quote:
-Prepared in principle to hold a referendum on the terms of equalization payments to push our leverage points within confederation.
Another costly endeavour with no certainty of an outcome that will actually benefit our province.

Basically the only people who are guaranteed a direct benefit from any of these policies are business owners. Have you seen any commitments from the UCP that will guarantee a direct benefit to the rest (majority)of the province?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2019, 10:31 PM   #68
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
We can argue about his response but the reality is the NDP have resorted to US style politics of demonization of people in an effort to try and win the election. A confident NDP party wouldn't be resorting to these tactics, they'd be running on their record and telling Albertans how their platform is best.
I’m all for raising the level of political discourse, but I’m sorry in advance, I have to call you out Dion. This is partisan complaining.

As iggy pointed out, you’ve been trotting out the “fear and smear” stuff with delight against the NDP for years (literally!). Anti-Notley fear mongering, bringing up the past, it’s literally been your bread and butter as a poster regarding Alberta politics.

The UCP has used “fear and smear” already, the PC party had a clinic with it in the last Federal election. No mention from you, which is fine, but poses the question as to why you would stay silent unless it’s the NDP. Not only that, but accusing the NDP of resorting to US style politics doesn’t make a lot of sense either. It’s politics. It’s been around in Canada for as long as I can remember. Let’s not pretend it’s out of the norm or something a party “resorts” to. It’s happens in every election.

I get it, Kenney is your guy and you’re UCP/FP or bust. But pretending you care about fear and smear in general or trying to paint the NDP as some unique offender just doesn’t seem that believable when you’re been a big fan of it for so long before the NDP stepped up.

Last edited by PepsiFree; 03-21-2019 at 10:36 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:49 PM   #69
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I’m all for raising the level of political discourse, but I’m sorry in advance, I have to call you out Dion. This is partisan complaining.

As iggy pointed out, you’ve been trotting out the “fear and smear” stuff with delight against the NDP for years (literally!). Anti-Notley fear mongering, bringing up the past, it’s literally been your bread and butter as a poster regarding Alberta politics.

The UCP has used “fear and smear” already, the PC party had a clinic with it in the last Federal election. No mention from you, which is fine, but poses the question as to why you would stay silent unless it’s the NDP. Not only that, but accusing the NDP of resorting to US style politics doesn’t make a lot of sense either. It’s politics. It’s been around in Canada for as long as I can remember. Let’s not pretend it’s out of the norm or something a party “resorts” to. It’s happens in every election.

I get it, Kenney is your guy and you’re UCP/FP or bust. But pretending you care about fear and smear in general or trying to paint the NDP as some unique offender just doesn’t seem that believable when you’re been a big fan of it for so long before the NDP stepped up.
Attacking a parties policies is a lot different than attacking a person personaly and creating web sites and videos to do it.

Kenney is not my guy, lets be clear on that. His past has brought a lot of trouble to the UCP party and may cost them an election. I vote on policies and platforms as opposed to leaders.

Plus i'm not a politican running in an election or a member of any party.

Last edited by Dion; 03-21-2019 at 10:53 PM.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:07 AM   #70
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The NDP reaches a new low by digging up a 30 clip of Jason Kenney back the 80's when he was a teenager living San Francisco. I guess smear and fear is all the Dippers have. Quite sad

https://twitter.com/user/status/1108444419521277952

https://calgaryherald.com/news/polit...left-and-right
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cowboy89 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2019, 07:38 AM   #71
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

has anyone had a candidate come to their door yet?

so far the UCP came to mine. nobody else yet.

I doubt I'll see anyone from the NDP. my MLA has been a ghost for the last 4 years, so why do anything now?

liberal notes: their website still only has info on 13 candidates, and I notice that in the "our team" section, they don't have anyone running the fundraising division.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:44 AM   #72
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

UCP(Jeremy Nixon) came to mine about a month ago. I have not heard a peep from my MLA, the NDP guy since the last election. Actually I don't remember seeing him then, either. He's like Ghost MLA.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:52 AM   #73
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Curious what's been the fear and smear used against the NDP? It's not like there aren't numerous videos and pictures of Notley protesting pipelines out there and they aren't that old. We all know the deep down makeup of her and many in her party is anti-O&G. It's simply stating the obvious when bringing that forth and certainly no smear or even fear. I don't recall any smear campaigns regarding her character and how she kills babies and is evil like the NDP are currently resorting to. I kind of have to agree with Dion in that resorting to this kind of stuff generally shows a lack of confidence in your platform and current resume. "Vote for us because they are evil" is about as lame as it gets IMO.

When on a job interview they ask you the typical question on why you are the best person for the job do you say; "I'm the best person because the other candidates are scary and evil?" You aren't going to get employment anywhere with that as your selling point so I don't understand how people find this an acceptable reason to vote for a party if this is all they got.

Sure you can say every party resorts to ads placing the opposition in a non-flattering light but there's a difference between saying "he's not ready" which just happened to be correct in the case of Justin but IMO this went too far. That whole San Franciso documentary thing using people that have lived though AIDS for their political gain is one of the most manipulative and despicable things I have ever seen.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 03-22-2019 at 08:37 AM.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:06 AM   #74
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:

So calling out the sitting party on their actual record of governance the last 4 years, now qualifies as "fear and smear"?

Good grief.

In regards to bringing up what a candidate said in their past being an actual part of what they believe today, then the UCP should be splashing this all over the province.

And that picture is WAY WAY more recent than the Kenney video, so i must conclude that Notley and Phillips are actively working against getting ANY pipelines built, therefor they should automatically be disqualified from being elected to represent Albertans. Right?
Old 03-22-2019, 08:16 AM   #75
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Curious what's been the fear and smear used against the NDP? It's not like there aren't numerous videos and pictures of Notley protesting pipelines out there and they aren't that old. We all know the deep down makeup of her and many in her party is anti-O&G. It's simply stating the obvious when bringing that forth and certainly no smear or even fear.. I don't recall any smear campaigns regarding her character and how she kills babies and is evil like the NDP are currently resorting to. I kind of have to agree with Dion in that resorting to this kind of stuff generally shows a lack of confidence in your platform and current resume. "Vote for us because they are evil" is about as lame as it gets IMO.

When on a job interview they ask you the typical question on why you are the best person for the job do you say; "I'm the best person because the other candidates are scary and evil?" You aren't going to get employment anywhere with that as your selling point so I don't understand how people find this an acceptable reason to vote for a party if this is all they got.

Sure you can say every party resorts to ads placing the opposition in a non-flattering light but there's a difference between saying "he's not ready" which just happened to be 100% correct but IMO this went too far. That whole San Franciso documentary thing the NDP just did is one of the most manipulative and despicable things I have ever seen.

I think the NDP tactics are a bit jarring as they come across as something they'd normally do as opposition to try and get some traction and steal votes.
not something you'd expect from the governing party. but as others have said, maybe they feel that's all they can do because they can't run on what they've accomplished.

If I were Kenney, I'd keep hammering them on how much debt they've added and push them on when they're expecting to start paying it down.

also push on health care. remind the public that the status quo isn't working and all the NDP have done is add to the wait times. that just throwing money at the healthcare problem doesn't fix it.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:48 AM   #76
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
also push on health care. remind the public that the status quo isn't working and all the NDP have done is add to the wait times..
You do realize they are building an enormous cancer centre, right?

It's a real thing. Looks like this. Kind of a big deal.

Old 03-22-2019, 09:22 AM   #77
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
You do realize they are building an enormous cancer centre, right?

It's a real thing. Looks like this. Kind of a big deal.

Great and all but doesn't address the biggest issues AHS has.
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2019, 09:31 AM   #78
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Great and all but doesn't address the biggest issues AHS has.
Spending public dollars to subsidize private businesses?
Old 03-22-2019, 09:31 AM   #79
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

To be fair to NDP I don't know if any party has the answer for health car. With the population aging it's just getting worse. It seems like my wife's parents spend as much time at hospitals and clinics as they do at home and I know they aren't outliers. The money has to come from somewhere but then again it's not our job to find the money, that's the government's and it's never a good look when the government in power blames lack of funding when they are the ones that control the budget.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:33 AM   #80
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1109064649104871429